Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 12:06 PM   #31
mumto3girls
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't fuss about a double, but we have a queen at home and I would prefer at least that on vacation. Neither of us is tiny and we often have a 6 year old little visitor (who sleeps sideways half the time) crawl in during the night which means that even our queen can bit a bit tight!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
deserrai
DIS Veteran

Doesn't matter to me and it does not affect which resort I choose.

deserrai is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #33
Keli
We're smarter than the average bear!
I would scrap everyday if I could
What do you think? You were raised in a barn?

I was surprised at the angry tones in some of the replies too. Seemed like a harmless question and even retreading the OP I don't get where any offense was given in the question. But its been my experience that when that happens on the DIS there's usually some sort of history between the posters so I generally just ignore it.

As far as the question, my DH and I have always slept in a full size bed. We had a king when we first married and hated the feeling of sleeping alone because the bed was so big. We switched to a full within a few months and we had one ever since. Now I wouldn't mind more space and we love the king sized beds on vacation, lol. But I don't see us switching any time soon either.

1981-The early years. 2011-The not-so-early years
Keli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

We sleep in a double at home. When we go away alone, I like to get a suite, which usually includes a king bed. If not, no big deal.

At Disney, full or queen makes no difference. How far we are from the food court and bus stop is a much bigger concern!
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #35
jodifla

DIS Veteran

We sleep in a king at home, so a double looks really small now, although that's what we started out with.

On our last trip out of town, we had two double beds, and a sleeper sofa. DS got the sleeper sofa, and DH and I each took a double bed!
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #36
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

My husband tosses and tuns a LOT. We cannot sleep in a full or double together. We have a king at home but a queen will do on vacation.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:39 PM   #37
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

2 words. HOT FLASH. ok, enough said.

Seriously, I do have them and I can't stand anyone even close to me when I do. so that little bit of extra room means something to me. That being said, we LOVE Port Orleans Riverside. They have double beds. I suffer, but I would rather have a bigger bed.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #38
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy_ib View Post
My husband tosses and tuns a LOT. We cannot sleep in a full or double together. We have a king at home but a queen will do on vacation.
I'm the tosser and turner in our family. (My husband said for the first 6 months we were married, he thought I was mad at him! Then he got used to it.) We have a king at home. I can sleep in a queen but we tend to bump into each other. A double is even worse.

We have stayed at POR lots of times when they were doubles -- but often slept 1 adult + 1 kid per bed. I wouldn't turn down a free trip if it was in a double bed. I'd suck it up. However, if I'm making the arrangements, we usually try to find someplace with at least a queen size bed. DH prefers to sleep with me instead of one of the kids.

Kim
Old 01-25-2013, 01:43 PM   #39
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Um, maybe because of the way the OP posed the question. Almost like talking down to people who want a bigger bed. It came off as confrontational.
Well that helps explain why there is so much nastiness on these boards. I didn't find it the LEAST bit confrontational, she was simply stating a fact and wondered why people felt the way they did.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #40
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

When my big-and-tall DH sleeps in a double, he sleeps on the diagonal -- no room for moi. When we sleep in a king bed and he snores (frequently) loud enough to crack the ceiling plaster, i can nudge him and get him to turn over, or at least move into a quieter position. When we stay at a hotel with separate beds I "have" to throw pillows at him to stop the noise.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #41
Jedana
Have to learn to budget somehow. Want the latest video game? Save up. Want a new Beyblade? save up. Want a new Dooney and Burke? Grab the credit card out of DH's wallet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdb in AZ View Post
When my big-and-tall DH sleeps in a double, he sleeps on the diagonal -- no room for moi. When we sleep in a king bed and he snores (frequently) loud enough to crack the ceiling plaster, i can nudge him and get him to turn over, or at least move into a quieter position. When we stay at a hotel with separate beds I "have" to throw pillows at him to stop the noise.
Same here! DH is 6'4" and does the corner to corner sleep on doubles. Which leaves me having to sleep with the boychild--who likes to roll around in all different directions (still)--the occasional sidekick and feet in the face thing ruins my night!

So, give us at least a queen. We have a king at home.

funny thing, we used to sleep on a queen sized air mattress when camping. Did this for about 15 years. Last year, our mattress died, and instead of replacing it with another queen, I bought 2 of these mattresses from Coleman.
http://www.coleman.com/product/4-n-1...Category=10079

I intended to use them together, and make a double high king. Last minute, I just left them as double high singles.

Best night sleep camping we've either had. No rolling towards each other when getting up or down or changing positions. No fighting over space. Still slightly too short for DH, but so was the queen.
Jedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #42
Disneybuckeye
DIS Veteran

I also am confused why some of the nasty responses to the question. I see nothing wrong with it and bed size is not a make it or break it issue for me.

We have a queen a home, but a full size on vaca is fine with me. As we own a timeshare and DVC we usually end up with kings though. I also agree with the previous poster that I feel kind of lost in them as DH and I are not big people. I can see for a larger person why it would make a difference.

Enjoyed a great March 2011 trip staying at the Boardwalk.
Enjoyed a great December 2011 trip to our home resort VWL with a short visit to see Harry Potter.
Enjoyed a great October 2012 trip at BLT.
Enjoyed a last minute surprise trip to Disneyland February 2013.
Enjoyed a great October 2013 trip to Saratoga Springs with our daughter and her college friends
Disneybuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #43
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

The Titans lost the Superbowl years back by an inch. Sometimes, a little bit makes a big difference. For us, a double puts us close to the edge. And I'm tall so I have to sleep partially on a diagonal
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #44
timmac
DIS Veteran

On my first read of the question, I actually kind of wondered if there was some condescention; the last line in particular about "does it really matter
or is it all just a mental thing" might be read as though it's talking down. Now, of course, I doubt that was the intent, but I can see how it might have read that way. I suspect that may have created a bit of misunderstanding that triggered some slightly emotional responses.

Back to the point, I will sleep in a double on vacation, though we definitely prefer at least a queen (which is what we have at home). Apart from the
increased length, it feels like the dimensions between double and queen are kind of hinging on a magic glass ceiling, at least for us. The way we usually sleep in a queen, there's just enough room for us to be comfortable. Any less, and we certainly notice it. I suspect this is probably why the queen size is so popular... it's width is just enough to provide sufficient room for comfort of two adults.

Another way to look at it is this... if we assume that the loss of the six inches doesn't matter, and a double bed will do, then why not just lose another six inches and go down to a 48" bed with. After all, it's only six inches, right? And, let's do that again. And again, if necessary. I think it's obvious one will eventually hit a breaking point. I suspect the double/queen size is right around that point for many people.
timmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #45
NMAmy
Can speak food in German
He seemed so normal when I met him
It's not like I'm getting any special sanitation type service
I'm old school-I like my cartoon rodents to be mice

I always kind of wonder the same thing, OP, because bed size is not a priority with us when choosing a hotel room so I'm interested in hearing the reasons why this is a very important priority for others.

DH is 6'1" and I'm 5'7" and we have a double bed at home that we share with absolutely no problems. When we vacation and end up in a king it feels like we're sleeping in two different bedrooms.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: