DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

I'm personally a big believer in buying resale when there is a big difference between resale pricing and direct pricing. And these days there is a big difference in the two for all the resorts. Once VGF comes out there of course won't be any resale market for VGF, so if you want to own there right away you'll only have one option, buy direct. And I'm sure that this is exactly why many owners are direct buyers, they wanted the resort when it came out.

The major disadvantage to buying resale is that it can take a minimum of 2 months before you have access to your points. The other disadvantage to resale is that any resale purchases made after March 21, 2011 are not eligible to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. I don't use either of those 3 things so it isn't a problem for me. I was also never in a hurry to use my points so I didn't care even if it took me 5-6 months to get a contract resale.

If I could have afforded to buy BWV direct when it first came out, I would have, instead I ended up waiting till I could afford to buy it resale (many years later).

So my advice is buy only what you can afford, understand what it is you are buying and then enjoy what you've bought.

P.S. Like ELMC I've come across a lot of people having to sell their DVC contract because they could no longer afford it and their loans are for more than resales are going for.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #32
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG
I'm personally a big believer in buying resale when there is a big difference between resale pricing and direct pricing. And these days there is a big difference in the two for all the resorts. Once VGF comes out there of course won't be any resale market for VGF, so if you want to own there right away you'll only have one option, buy direct. And I'm sure that this is exactly why many owners are direct buyers, they wanted the resort when it came out.

The major disadvantage to buying resale is that it can take a minimum of 2 months before you have access to your points. The other disadvantage to resale is that any resale purchases made after March 21, 2011 are not eligible to make reservations within the Concierge Collection, the Disney Collection or the Adventurer Collection. I don't use either of those 3 things so it isn't a problem for me. I was also never in a hurry to use my points so I didn't care even if it took me 5-6 months to get a contract resale.

If I could have afforded to buy BWV direct when it first came out, I would have, instead I ended up waiting till I could afford to buy it resale (many years later).

So my advice is buy only what you can afford, understand what it is you are buying and then enjoy what you've bought.

P.S. Like ELMC I've come across a lot of people having to sell their DVC contract because they could no longer afford it and their loans are for more than resales are going for.
Those are some great points! I am having a difficult time seeing there being a benefit to me buying direct with the extra cost. We had tossed around the idea of financing or paying in full and it seems paying in full is the better way to go, considering there's still an additional monthly amount for dues.

Sent from my Galaxy S II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 09:50 PM   #33
Goofy DVC
OKW member since 93

Congrats on your purchase.There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread. We have 5 contracts, some direct and some resale. I have found that there are situations that can justify both. Our first two contracts were direct in 93, I don't think resale existed yet. Our next two were resale with great prices and loaded contracts. Our last purchase was direct again because we wanted a small BCV contract in our UY but waited for months with no luck. We then considered buying a contract resale with more points than we wanted or needed. The additional points increased the price to where it was close to equal the lower points direct from Disney. I know many will say "yes but now you have more points". Yes we would, and more MFs along with it until 2042. I also did not have the time or desire to rent those additional points every year. So what did we do? Bought direct from disney and got exactly the number of points we needed in our UY.
Goofy DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #34
disbound09
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy DVC View Post
Congrats on your purchase.There has been a lot of good feedback on this thread. We have 5 contracts, some direct and some resale. I have found that there are situations that can justify both. Our first two contracts were direct in 93, I don't think resale existed yet. Our next two were resale with great prices and loaded contracts. Our last purchase was direct again because we wanted a small BCV contract in our UY but waited for months with no luck. We then considered buying a contract resale with more points than we wanted or needed. The additional points increased the price to where it was close to equal the lower points direct from Disney. I know many will say "yes but now you have more points". Yes we would, and more MFs along with it until 2042. I also did not have the time or desire to rent those additional points every year. So what did we do? Bought direct from disney and got exactly the number of points we needed in our UY.

And there my friends you have a happy informed DVC owner. In the end do what is best for you and your family, and you will be a happy camper.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #35
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

I'd like to add my congrats as well. I was very disheartened to see anyone say that this was a "no pixie dust zone". I don't spend much time in this section of the DVC forums and it made me remember why. Everyone has the right to make whatever decision works best for them, and that they are comfortable with. Like you, I researched all options, and in my case spent close to 2 years stalking resale contracts and tracking direct pricing. I waited until I was truly comfortable with what I wanted, where I wanted and what I was willing to pay as well as potentially give up if not direct.

I found myself looking hard at 2 things. First, I wanted a small contract to start, and an equal sized one later, should I decide I wanted to add on. I did want the benefits of direct. Small contracts go for more, and go quickly if and when they pop up and at some resorts that's not often. Finding a loaded one, in the use year I wanted, at the resorts I wanted really...became such a project to try and find and get before they were gone (and honestly I can only think of maybe 3 that have fit the bill at any time I looked and I looked a lot, on all 3 sites) it was discouraging. Sure, I could get more points for less $$. I didn't want that long term MF commitment to those extra points. It would be buying more than I needed which ultimately is spending more than I needed. Over the life of the contract, that is huge. Initial outlay more, long term, not so much.

The restrictions did matter to me. I (frankly) don't care that they may not be the best use of points. Given where I live (not remotely close to FL!) I wanted to know I had that flexibility should I ever choose to use it. Doesn't mean I will but I'm not crazy about renting out my points either. Doesn't mean I won't but I wanted all my options. Yes, that is a luxury and I realize it.

The bottom line, for me, was this. I could have continued to wait and stalk for that perfect contract or two. That could take a month, a year, or who knows. Closing, if it passes ROFR, a minimum of 60 days. Kicked back and you start over. Best case scenario, 60 days start to finish. Worst...I could still be looking (and yes have friends that are, several who are on their 3rd offer, having lost out in ROFR some first time buyers others adding on) during all that time I'd still be going to WDW. And I'd be paying cash, at a deluxe for two rooms, very potentially at rack rate if I had to due to schedule limitations. It was paying the cash for two deluxe rooms, at rack rate or low discounts that turned me to DVC in the first place. Well that and being a family of 6

I decided, for me, that was cash I'd be spending regardless. I knew what Id been spending and what Id continue to spend. My kids could be that much older by the time a perfect contract appeared. Too picky? Maybe. My right though. I felt I might as well spend it on a direct purchase, get what I want, how I want, when I want and take my trips now. The cash value (rack rate) of the trips I will have taken since I purchased is close to what my investment was. Not quite there yet but only 1 trip away. I realize that doesn't account for MF's but still, for me, I feel the investment itself is almost paid off, inflated price or not. Would resale have paid off much faster? Of course. Would I have missed out on the first 2 trips trying to find the contract? Most likely. Did I get a full extra trip out of it that I wouldn't have otherwise? Yes. What would I have to show for it if Id have paid cash for those trips? Nothing. Will I add on again direct or resale? I don't know. I'm not opposed to resale at all but I can't say I wouldn't go direct again either. I don't see the need for more points than we have, nor do I want more MF's. I'll always "want" more, but I don't "need" them.

For me, the current pricing is too high on the active resorts. For me. That's all that really matters, what works for me. Heck it's high everywhere, that's just a fact. I do find it interesting that everyone tosses around the $165 number, which is BLT and isn't being actively marketed. Pricing as of today for the two actively being marketed is $140 for AKV and Aulani, both with promotions available (slated for another $5pp increase in March). I have no regrets about my purchases (SSR and BWV). The ability to book my NYE reservation with a Boardwalk view because my contract moved so quickly, for a once in a lifetime family event? Priceless. The ability to get Vero before my cruise the day points were in my account at less than 7 months? Amazing. These trips and resorts simply wouldn't have happened (at least not in DVC accommodations and in the case of Vero, at all) or be scheduled had I bought resale with the timing I had. It is, for me, as simple as that.

If you've done your homework and feel you are making an informed decision that works for you, others are certainly welcome to disagree, I respect that entirely. I imagine someone will slam my math and they are welcome to. I am happy and that's all that matters. I think you should still get pixie dust and congrats.

No matter how your membership came to be I would like to say to any and all

Welcome Home
eandesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #36
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG View Post

I agree with this as long as people understand and are not bothered by the restrictions. I also believe that if you only have resale points in your membership you are not able to take the Member's Cruise..I thought that was odd since you ARE a member, and after all, the cruise is not called "Direct Purchaser Member Cruise" I never thought I'd use points outside of the norm, but it came up where a son and family wanted to join us and all the villas were booked so we used points at DLH (which has since gone up to ridiculous levels). I still will buy direct since I want a specific number at my home resort and those points are rare, especially in my use year for some reason. So..still waiting for that VGC contract to come available direct.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
I'd like to add my congrats as well. I was very disheartened to see anyone say that this was a "no pixie dust zone". I don't spend much time in this section of the DVC forums and it made me remember why. Everyone has the right to make whatever decision works best for them, and that they are comfortable with. Like you, I researched all options, and in my case spent close to 2 years stalking resale contracts and tracking direct pricing. I waited until I was truly comfortable with what I wanted, where I wanted and what I was willing to pay as well as potentially give up if not direct.

I found myself looking hard at 2 things. First, I wanted a small contract to start, and an equal sized one later, should I decide I wanted to add on. I did want the benefits of direct. Small contracts go for more, and go quickly if and when they pop up and at some resorts that's not often. Finding a loaded one, in the use year I wanted, at the resorts I wanted really...became such a project to try and find and get before they were gone (and honestly I can only think of maybe 3 that have fit the bill at any time I looked and I looked a lot, on all 3 sites) it was discouraging. Sure, I could get more points for less $$. I didn't want that long term MF commitment to those extra points. It would be buying more than I needed which ultimately is spending more than I needed. Over the life of the contract, that is huge. Initial outlay more, long term, not so much.

The restrictions did matter to me. I (frankly) don't care that they may not be the best use of points. Given where I live (not remotely close to FL!) I wanted to know I had that flexibility should I ever choose to use it. Doesn't mean I will but I'm not crazy about renting out my points either. Doesn't mean I won't but I wanted all my options. Yes, that is a luxury and I realize it.

The bottom line, for me, was this. I could have continued to wait and stalk for that perfect contract or two. That could take a month, a year, or who knows. Closing, if it passes ROFR, a minimum of 60 days. Kicked back and you start over. Best case scenario, 60 days start to finish. Worst...I could still be looking (and yes have friends that are, several who are on their 3rd offer, having lost out in ROFR some first time buyers others adding on) during all that time I'd still be going to WDW. And I'd be paying cash, at a deluxe for two rooms, very potentially at rack rate if I had to due to schedule limitations. It was paying the cash for two deluxe rooms, at rack rate or low discounts that turned me to DVC in the first place. Well that and being a family of 6

I decided, for me, that was cash I'd be spending regardless. I knew what Id been spending and what Id continue to spend. My kids could be that much older by the time a perfect contract appeared. Too picky? Maybe. My right though. I felt I might as well spend it on a direct purchase, get what I want, how I want, when I want and take my trips now. The cash value (rack rate) of the trips I will have taken since I purchased is close to what my investment was. Not quite there yet but only 1 trip away. I realize that doesn't account for MF's but still, for me, I feel the investment itself is almost paid off, inflated price or not. Would resale have paid off much faster? Of course. Would I have missed out on the first 2 trips trying to find the contract? Most likely. Did I get a full extra trip out of it that I wouldn't have otherwise? Yes. What would I have to show for it if Id have paid cash for those trips? Nothing. Will I add on again direct or resale? I don't know. I'm not opposed to resale at all but I can't say I wouldn't go direct again either. I don't see the need for more points than we have, nor do I want more MF's. I'll always "want" more, but I don't "need" them.

For me, the current pricing is too high on the active resorts. For me. That's all that really matters, what works for me. Heck it's high everywhere, that's just a fact. I do find it interesting that everyone tosses around the $165 number, which is BLT and isn't being actively marketed. Pricing as of today for the two actively being marketed is $140 for AKV and Aulani, both with promotions available (slated for another $5pp increase in March). I have no regrets about my purchases (SSR and BWV). The ability to book my NYE reservation with a Boardwalk view because my contract moved so quickly, for a once in a lifetime family event? Priceless. The ability to get Vero before my cruise the day points were in my account at less than 7 months? Amazing. These trips and resorts simply wouldn't have happened (at least not in DVC accommodations and in the case of Vero, at all) or be scheduled had I bought resale with the timing I had. It is, for me, as simple as that.

If you've done your homework and feel you are making an informed decision that works for you, others are certainly welcome to disagree, I respect that entirely. I imagine someone will slam my math and they are welcome to. I am happy and that's all that matters. I think you should still get pixie dust and congrats.

No matter how your membership came to be I would like to say to any and all

Welcome Home
Thanks for all that feedback. That's exactly the way I feel! You didn't ramble as much as I did though

You make an excellent point too about whether or not you will miss a trip (or two or three...) while waiting for the right contract (and rofr and closing, etc.). Because depending on where you are staying it could cost you many thousands each trip. I know before I just purchased I had already booked and paid for a trip which I then was able to cancel and rebook with points. That alone saved me over $10k. I also have another trip now booked for end of the year which I may/may not have been able to do with a resale (depending on all the variables) and that trip saved me another $10k (room only for 10days 2br villa). So even though I bought direct I look at that as saving me $20k that I would have definitely spent anyway (with discounts) on trips that I was taking anyway. I know the other option is to have rented out points but I would never do that (for a list of my own personal reasons) and to me, if you wouldn't really consider it, then it's not really an option for you.

There really are so many moving parts to consider between: use year, home resort (since there are big price differences), financing, resale vs direct, point rentals, etc. So you really do need to view this decision from many different angles and the financial part of that is VERY important and not to be overlooked....but.....it's not always just about that and not always black or white. To me there are many shades of grey in between.

Anyway......... right back at ya
TotallyADiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #38
TotallyADiz
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
I agree with this as long as people understand and are not bothered by the restrictions. I also believe that if you only have resale points in your membership you are not able to take the Member's Cruise..I thought that was odd since you ARE a member, and after all, the cruise is not called "Direct Purchaser Member Cruise" I never thought I'd use points outside of the norm, but it came up where a son and family wanted to join us and all the villas were booked so we used points at DLH (which has since gone up to ridiculous levels). I still will buy direct since I want a specific number at my home resort and those points are rare, especially in my use year for some reason. So..still waiting for that VGC contract to come available direct.
That's actually a good point as well. While I think most people on here who buy resale will probably rather save thou$ands then go on a "member cruise" (I'm just guessing), it really is interesting that Dis took that particular item away. That's actually what I found a bit telling. I think they were trying to send a message (clearly) that there will be different treatment starting now (March 2011) and will be more to come in the future.....and while I understand Dis's position to some degree I think they need to be careful by not calling ALL dvc owners "members". Because we are ALL members. We are all patrons, customers, clients of Dis. We love their company and products which is why we bought in. I think a better way for them to do it would be for them to create "share classes". If you only want to stay at a WDW dvc resort, that's one share class (and you can buy resale), if you want the other perks, that's another "share class" (and you buy direct), etc....and if one of the perks is the "member cruise" then they should rename it and call it a "special sailing" or something and only make it available to the "other share class". That just seems less offensive to me.
TotallyADiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
WebmasterDoc
Administrator

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
That's actually a good point as well. While I think most people on here who buy resale will probably rather save thou$ands then go on a "member cruise" (I'm just guessing), it really is interesting that Dis took that particular item away. That's actually what I found a bit telling. I think they were trying to send a message (clearly) that there will be different treatment starting now (March 2011) and will be more to come in the future.....and while I understand Dis's position to some degree I think they need to be careful by not calling ALL dvc owners "members". Because we are ALL members. We are all patrons, customers, clients of Dis. We love their company and products which is why we bought in. I think a better way for them to do it would be for them to create "share classes". If you only want to stay at a WDW dvc resort, that's one share class (and you can buy resale), if you want the other perks, that's another "share class" (and you buy direct), etc....and if one of the perks is the "member cruise" then they should rename it and call it a "special sailing" or something and only make it available to the "other share class". That just seems less offensive to me.
When we purchased (direct) in 1993 the minimum point purchase had just been lowered to 190 - down from 230. In the contracts at that time was a caveat that those who purchased at the minimum may not be able to enjoy all benefits of the DVC program.

All of the videos and literature at that time were based on 230 points - including the World Passport Collection. All of the examples used in the presentation were still demonstrating how 230 points could be used and even have points left-over for the next year. When they lowered the minimum to 190 some members might be excluded from those examples.

DVC has been doing this for years now, so there is nothing new about restrictions. Two years ago at the DVC Annual Meeting, then-President Jim Lewis touched on a tiered membership rewards program based on the number of points owned and number of referrals made. No details were offered - just that this was in the works. While nothing further (so far) has come from that announcement, it is apparent that in DVC's eye not all members are equal going back years into the program. The resale exclusions of 2 years ago are just a reminder of that fact and a warning that even those who purchase buy direct could be affected by restrictions (like the inability to use DVC points for DCL cruises at times even for those purchasing direct).
Old 02-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

My problem with resale buying is my husband likes to 'finance' the loan and doesn't want to put it on our home. DVC's rate is cheaper than a personal loan by 2% so....

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:56 AM   #41
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyADiz View Post
Been lurking for a while and just recently purchased so I figured I would try to contribute back to the community. Thanks to everyone on this board for all the helpful information you offer.

So here goes. The question of resale vs direct is covered in detail on this board with many good points (pun intended) made. It is a decision that each of us makes for ourselves and for different reasons. I must admit it is hard to overlook the large amount of $avings when purchasing resale. Besides the obvious things that Disney has taken away from resale owners I wanted to point out my recent discussions with them and why I decided to purchase direct.

1.) it's very hard to argue NOT purchasing resale if you look purely at the economics. If you have the ca$h outlay and plan to always stay at wdw vacation club resorts....don't mind going through a few extra hoops to get transaction done and don't need the points right this second......resale seems the way to go.
2.) I fit into that category above BUT I think that I might change the way I vacation in future years when the kids are older. Maybe I will cruise more and want to do Adv or some other disney realted vacation. Even though it might not be a "good use of points", 10-20 years from now I will be way in the black on this investment and will want to use the points for something different from or in addition to WDW. 3.) If I do wind up traveling to far off places down the road and/or cruising and I have these points..........why not use them for these types of trips...and if I am going to go on these types of trips (ADV) I will want a travel agent who will make all the arrangements, tours, etc. I have to imagine that Disney is pretty good at arranging those things. So I see these points as being used for different vacations down the road then I will use them for now so I will want access to everything that Disney has to offer both now and down the road (adv, Dcl, etc.)
4.) Given all the above, I fear that if I don't buy direct not only won't I have access to what Disney has already limited but to new restrictions they might apply. I know that the only thing that is guaranteed is Wdw and they can change access anytime they want for everybody, including direct purchases but I find it much less likely that they will eliminate all the extra perks/access (from direct purchases). There might not be any guarantees but I feel safer with Disney.
5.) This is a big one and it plays into the "Fear" factor. When I made my pruchase my "guide" told me that when you buy resale your membership is "red flagged" which we all know is true to some extent because that's how they know whether or not you can make bookings with adv/dcl/concierge, etc. BUT he said it also means that the "internal policy" is to not allow you to get the same benefits or flexibility as direct purchasers. They might be "booked" more frequently if you purchased resale for instance. I'm not saying this is true and I doubt that Disney would ever admit to it (maybe they would?) but the mere fact alone that anyone within Disney would even say something like that (on recorded lines) worries me. Maybe it is true that they do that. Maybe it isn't true but they might start doing it down the road.............and even if they don't they can always implement new restrictions. I know this might just be an intimidation tactic but for me it works because as I stated above, I really do want access to other vacations down the road besides just Wdw. Just my .02.

Thanks again to all on this board and no matter your decision HAVE FUN!
First, Welcome to DVC, I know you'll enjoy your membership. I would like to address some of your points for the benefit of those who might be looking at a current or future purchase and possibly for you for future purchases. I also realize that retail sales are the life blood of the system and lead to other benefits, options and potentially new resorts as well as future resale purchase opportunities.

1. We're talking almost half resale vs retail, this is no small difference. Plus you get other choices resale and may actually get more current points to use done correctly. You also lose nothing of value currently and likely nothing in the future. Minimal risk, big reward.
2. See #1, it doesn't seem to be a reasonable choice to pay almost double for future options that are not a good value anyway (read: it'd be cheaper and easier to buy less points and pay cash) and could be removed for everyone tomorrow. This purchase doesn't guarantee access to all Disney or even DVC type options. It's an assumption you made that is incorrect. You paid for a false sense of security, IMO.
3. But you could have bought less points, had the dollars for other trips, had less yearly fees, MORE future options and less risk.
4. Fear is the key word here. IMO, the fear is not valid related to things of value and benefits, dollar wise.
5. Your guide misled you.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #42
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBub View Post
Having bought direct, added on direct and bought resale I can see all sides. The most important thing here is that you did what is right FOR YOU.

Congratulations on your purchase and WELCOME HOME!!

BTW, where did you buy??
I would amend the statement as the OP did what they THOUGHT was the best, whether that is accurate remains to be seen and will take decades to completely answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy7573 View Post
In order to be a re-sale contract, wasn't there an original Direct Purchase from Disney??? Am I wrong? Please correct me if I am?

I sense a lot of negative energy today...
Irrelevant, every resale is a potential lost retail purchase. Every resale is in competition with DVD. From DVD's perspective they'd prefer you never be able to sell and each new buyer bought a new retail contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
IMO, there are no restrictions of significance and likely never to be. However, I would agree it's always good to have options when possible, the question is at what cost. I'm on record as saying I don't feel it's appropriate to limit member cruises completely, I feel they should be allowed for cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
My problem with resale buying is my husband likes to 'finance' the loan and doesn't want to put it on our home. DVC's rate is cheaper than a personal loan by 2% so....
My opinion is very simple. One shouldn't buy such a luxury purchase if you can't pay cash for it, vacations either in general including CC that can't be paid off every time.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #43
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

There is always a lot of derisive advice towards purchasing any other way than cash on resale. Hence those of us who purchase direct (horrors!) and FINANCE the purchase become defensive.

The reality is no one knows everyone's economic platform. We drive 10 yo cars and our CC's are zeroed out every month so we're not wasteful in the short term. Frankly, after putting multiple progeny thru College we decided that we don't like being cash poor (first due to college but also jerk-ward FP's that have us investing 15% of our gross into retirement savings) so we leave our bank account alone by financing large purchases. I won't live on my CC any longer because I have no cash in the bank when the heater goes or put my pet down because I don't have the responsible ability to afford the cost of care. I hope someday to enjoy my 15% but I don't expect to because all doctors will tell you that generics are a diagnostic tool that works.

We're chubby - not fat.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 AM   #44
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
There is always a lot of derisive advice towards purchasing any other way than cash on resale. Hence those of us who purchase direct (horrors!) and FINANCE the purchase become defensive.

The reality is no one knows everyone's economic platform. We drive 10 yo cars and our CC's are zeroed out every month so we're not wasteful in the short term. Frankly, after putting multiple progeny thru College we decided that we don't like being cash poor (first due to college but also jerk-ward FP's that have us investing 15% of our gross into retirement savings) so we leave our bank account alone by financing large purchases. I won't live on my CC any longer because I have no cash in the bank when the heater goes or put my pet down because I don't have the responsible ability to afford the cost of care. I hope someday to enjoy my 15% but I don't expect to because all doctors will tell you that generics are a diagnostic tool that works.

We're chubby - not fat.
Your choice of course, I don't profess to know other people's situations other than what they post and what can be inferred from their posts. That's why I often to try speak to principles not personal situatons as in this case. However, my personal opinion is that people shouldn't finance such luxury purchases and that vacations in general are a luxury. YMMV.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #45
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

agreed

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: