Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

Sure it matters, we all have different comfort levels.
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:44 AM   #17
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbun View Post
It's my vacation and if I want to sleep in a bed at least as big as the one in my bedroom, that's what I'm doing. Again, it's my vacation. Last year, my husband and I ended up sleeping in separate beds for the 1st time in our lives because I thought we could settle. It was awful. I'm still in love with my husband and we want to be comfortable and also sleep together. Yes, it matters.
DH & I did this when we ended up with a double/double. It wasn't ideal.
cluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
crz4mm2
Most of the time I just sit and scratch my head...

SIZE does Matter!

crz4mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM   #19
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
Well for one, why do YOU care (OP) what size bed other people want or need on their vacations?

But while we're talking size, a queen bed is 5" LONGER than a double as well.
I care for the same reason anybody else cares about when asking a question on a message board.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #20
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I care for the same reason anybody else cares about when asking a question on a message board.
Did you really 'expect' that anyone was going to say no...... lol

It's the Dis......justify your decisions to the bitter end.

ETA: but it would be more fun if these kinds of questions really resulted in us pondering some of the things we do/think, wouldn't it? Sadly, there's fat chance of that
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:20 PM   #21
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieLovesMickey12 View Post
I have seen people on these boards and others talk about how they have to stay in a room with Queen beds and can't do Double beds. They need the extra room a Queen bed provides.

But a Queen bed is only 6 inches wider than a double. For 2 ppl sleeping in the bed that means each person only has 3 extra inches of bed from the Double to the Queen.

SO I ask you, does it really matter or is it all a mental thing needing the Queen beds because in your mind you feel it is much bigger?
For us, it really does matter. My husband is 6'4". For us to sleep in a double bed, it is *very* uncomfortable. We've had to when staying with relatives. The added size of the Queen doesn't give us extra room, it gives us just enough with his long legs.

We sleep on a King at home because it's more comfortable than a Queen. The King does give us extra room, which I gladly claim as mine. If we can request or book a King when we're at WDW or elsewhere, I do my best to get one, even if I have to pay more.

So to answer your question - for us, it isn't just a mental thing.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
BearcatsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
cybrkitn
We called it Bonko
I loved climbing trees
Don't apply for a job there! DUH!!!!!
Dork/geeky or just plain scary. You be the judge

It matters to us b/c DH is pooh sized so we really can't fit in a double bed too well. I always feel as if I'm going to fall off the bed since there is hardly any room left when we are both laying there. Plus there's the issue with both of us hogging the sheets at times.

A double (or full size bed) is really made for people who are not heavy set and children. It's not made for those who are heavy.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect... but actually, from a non-linear, non subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff." The Doctor
cybrkitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #23
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

To us a double or queen is a big difference. I like space when I sleep and sleeping in a queen is much more comfortable for us than sleeping in a double.

Just booked a WDW stay and the CM on the phone apologized that only King beds were available...I said no problem!!! Love me a king sized bed!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
disykat
DIS Veteran

It's weird to me that some people seem to be getting really defensive about this question. It seems like something we could talk about without rancor. I will sleep in a double on occasion, but definitely prefer a queen for the extra space it offers.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
bdcp
DIS Veteran

It makes a huge difference. We need a queen or king. We had a queen the first 15 years we were married and have had king since then (17 years). When we end up in a hotel with double beds, we each sleep in one. I love my DH, but to get a good night's sleep we need our own space.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
It's weird to me that some people seem to be getting really defensive about this question. It seems like something we could talk about without rancor. I will sleep in a double on occasion, but definitely prefer a queen for the extra space it offers.
Um, maybe because of the way the OP posed the question. Almost like talking down to people who want a bigger bed. It came off as confrontational.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #27
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

We have a Cali king at home. We get doubles when traveling. No issues. We are both bigger people...DH being 6'6 and 300. We can both sleep anywhere...as can our kids.

FWIW, all 4 of us used to crowd into a double when the kids were littler....that felt crowded, but we could all still sleep!
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
nmmom95
I'm a pregnant lesbian in an interracial relationship
Or am I?

Our family likes to spread out when we sleep. At home, DH and I have a king, DS14 has a queen and DS9 has a double. At WDW, we get a 2 bedroom for the 4 of us so that DH & I still have the king and each kid gets his own queen.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #29
wishing4PA
Wants to be in Pennsylvania or WDW or PA or WDW or ... and stuck smack dab in the middle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdcp View Post
Um, maybe because of the way the OP posed the question. Almost like talking down to people who want a bigger bed. It came off as confrontational.
After I read this, I went back and read the first post. I'm not getting that vibe? It just seems like OP may lean toward the mathematical curiosity side of things.
And some of the responses have been helpful, like the one that points out the difference is not just in the width, but the length.
* 7/2013 (YC with DD), 1/2012 (Poly - me, DD, DN, DN, DSis, thanks! ), 7/2010 (FW - the Poly5+Mom), 2/2009 (DD4 & DH's 1st visit! ASMo), Day trip ~1990, Overnight "Jazz Night" with HS band (1978?), ~10 Day trips in 1970's-80's (E tickets!)
* Disney World Preview Center (1970?) An amusement park here, in the middle of nowhere, far from the beaches, nowhere near anything, even dinky little Orlando? That'll never fly!
wishing4PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #30
2disneyboys
DIS Veteran

We sleep in a King @ home, so yes, a double is a big difference to us (even a Queen is) Now, I'm not going to complain or worse, not go on the trip over the size of the bed, but if given a reasonable choice, we are going with Queen or larger! I am 5'2" and DH is 6'1"while neither of us is "huge" we are both somewhat overweight. Add that my DH is a furnance when he's sleeping, and that due to hormonal issues, I am ALWAYS hot, I would never get any sleep if we were crammed together at night.

DH ME
DS#1 13 DS#2 10

Lots of Magical Memories between 1999 - 2012
Maybe another visit in 2013 ? I can only hope!
2disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: