Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #16
Brocktoon
21st Century Schizoid Man
 
Brocktoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Philly 'Burbs
Posts: 1,588

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
Actually, I think Joss Whedon would make a fine Star Wars director. his penchant for character interaction would be an excellent fit in Star Wars.

Plus, all those "Joss Whedon is my master now" Tshirts would have new relevance.


He's never done movies, but if they were going to pull someone over with Trek experience, I'd have loved to see what Ron D. Moore did with it. He has hands down created the best SciFi, the best Space Opera since perhaps the originals.

Of course, I'd rather have him handling the writing than the directing.
I agree that Whedon would be amazing for Star Wars. But I think there are more people that understand and are a good fit for Star Wars, than folks who truly understand translating comic books and the Marvel universe. Basically I'd rather let someone else have Star Wars than lose Whedon as the Marvel gatekeeper. I don't think he could handle both.

It's an interesting point about Ron Moore. He's done a ton of great writing and producing, but even in TV he usually stays away from directing. I think unitl he gets his hands dirty with a little more TV directing, he won't get any shots at feature film gigs.
__________________

Next Trip: Food & Wine Fest: 10/23 - 10/31 2014
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

- Neil Peart
Brocktoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:09 PM   #17
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
Did you happen to see Abrams' 2009 Star Trek? It was quite a good movie... and I love Joss Whedon (Avengers), but Star Wars really wouldn't be a good fit for him.
~Okay, I finally looked at Abrams film bio. I don't know, at this point. No, I haven't seen the Star Trek movie. I just hope he strikes the right balance between story telling and action! I wonder why Disney overlooked Andrew Stanton, it wasn't his fault John Carter bombed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
Actually, I think Joss Whedon would make a fine Star Wars director. his penchant for character interaction would be an excellent fit in Star Wars.

Plus, all those "Joss Whedon is my master now" Tshirts would have new relevance.


He's never done movies, but if they were going to pull someone over with Trek experience, I'd have loved to see what Ron D. Moore did with it. He has hands down created the best SciFi, the best Space Opera since perhaps the originals.

Of course, I'd rather have him handling the writing than the directing.
~I agree. I thought Whedon would be the obvious first choice for Star Wars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocktoon View Post
I agree that Whedon would be amazing for Star Wars. But I think there are more people that understand and are a good fit for Star Wars, than folks who truly understand translating comic books and the Marvel universe. Basically I'd rather let someone else have Star Wars than lose Whedon as the Marvel gatekeeper. I don't think he could handle both.

It's an interesting point about Ron Moore. He's done a ton of great writing and producing, but even in TV he usually stays away from directing. I think unitl he gets his hands dirty with a little more TV directing, he won't get any shots at feature film gigs.
~Great post, I agree about the possibility of "losing" Whedon to Star Wars! I love The Avengers, so it's probably best for him to stick with the Marvel franchise!
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-25-2013, 11:19 PM   #18
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,317

Completely agree about Ron Moore.

Star Trek DS9 and TNG were both fantastic serials...but because of characters, not tech. Those shows were only sci fi in the scenery - they dealt with a lot if complex emotional, societal, and philosophical issues.

His battlestar was fantastic too...from start to finish.

That's what Star Wars needs...it's at a low point that I never thought it could get too. And the reason is they don't develop (or possibly even consider) what makes a good story and then let ILM crackpots go wild and have their iMacs puke stuff on the screen...and come up way short.

But I'm confused about one thing...why is joss Whedon being heralded as the champion of character development?

It can't be Avengers....if it is, then do tell?
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
StarWarsJez
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 204

JJ getting the gig is brilliant news IMO. Perfect choice.

Just as good was the choice of screenwriter, Michael Arndt.

Just hoping now that Lucas leaves them all to get on with it. He's an amazing man to do what he's done but nows the time to let go.
StarWarsJez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,569

FYI, Disney finally confirmed Abrams last night.

Whedon was my first choice, and he was already in the fold. Abrams was a surprise, given that he was already in control of that other major SF franchise. In all likelyhood Paramount will hand those reins off to someone else...they don't like it when someone plays for the other team

As for Lucas, he really doesn't have much say any more. He's retained as a consultant, but I understand he won't have any direct control.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM   #21
Phdmama06
DIS Veteran
 
Phdmama06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 801

Hmmm, now this is going to make me associate Star Wars with Felicity. Not sure how I feel about that
Phdmama06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #22
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdmama06
Hmmm, now this is going to make me associate Star Wars with Felicity. Not sure how I feel about that
Lol
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
RogueLeader
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 61

Now I am a BIG Star Trek fan and a HUGE Star Wars fan. I think it's a great idea! I'm hoping that he takes the same direction he did with Star Trek and rewrites the SW universe and permanently erases Jar Jar from the time line!

Seriously though I do think it is a good choice.
RogueLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #24
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.
 
YoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Roseville, Ca.
Posts: 3,944

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
But I'm confused about one thing...why is joss Whedon being heralded as the champion of character development?

It can't be Avengers....if it is, then do tell?
Ummmm, Firefly? Buffy?
You know, the stuff he's famous for?
__________________
YoHo, YoHo a Pirates life for me.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #25
doconeill


Fastpass Jedi Master
 
doconeill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 16,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoHo View Post
Ummmm, Firefly? Buffy?
You know, the stuff he's famous for?
Exactly. He's had several series in which characters were the BIG factor on why they were loved. For a writer/producer, he has a massive loyal following.
__________________
Doc - WDW Untangled - New: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - MagicBands - ADR Calculator - WDW MYW Ticket Price Calculator
"WDW is the reason more of us should have paid more attention in Math class." - Me
Commissioner, Official DIS Unplugged Fantasy Football League - MK Conf - EC Conf - HS Conf -2013 Champion oc_tony!
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #26
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill

Exactly. He's had several series in which characters were the BIG factor on why they were loved. For a writer/producer, he has a massive loyal following.
Ok...I'll concede that point...

But how does that translate into big screen, episodic sci-fi?

I just wanted to make sure nobody was characterizing Avengers as "deep and character developed"...

It was a action flick with pretty bland acting except for Robert
Downey jr carrying the film...as he often seems to do these days.

The new Johnny depp...as the old Johnny depp has gone south
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,482

Smile

~I hope this film is heavy on action and light on drama, just like the Avengers, not long and boring like Star Trek. It is crucial that the average viewer who has no emotional ties or previous knowledge of Star Wars be able to jump right into the movie.
__________________

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #28
Carstairs38
Earning My Ears
 
Carstairs38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 52

I'm thrilled with this news. I'm still a big fan of Alias, and I liked the new Star Trek movie, too.

As to Joss Whedon, I'm actually not a big fan of his stuff. Avengers reminded me why he could be good, but I didn't like how he ended Buffy, Angel, and Serenity. Seems to me like he runs out of steam before he finishes stuff. Both Buffy and Angel should have been at least one season, possibly two shorter.
Carstairs38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:07 PM   #29
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD
~I hope this film is heavy on action and light on drama, just like the Avengers, not long and boring like Star Trek. It is crucial that the average viewer who has no emotional ties or previous knowledge of Star Wars be able to jump right into the movie.
That is EXACTLY what they tried with the prequels...and it bombed.

Star Wars is more to pop culture than an single comic book like avengers...
You can't set the bar that low.

They should spend however long it takes to get the story and the dialogue right...and keep the CGi to a minimum.

The best action/ fantasy movie of the last 10 years (one could argue ever) was the Dark Knight.
You follow that formula...not Transformers
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #30
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran
 
lockedoutlogic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Joisey
Posts: 3,317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carstairs38
I'm thrilled with this news. I'm still a big fan of Alias, and I liked the new Star Trek movie, too.

As to Joss Whedon, I'm actually not a big fan of his stuff. Avengers reminded me why he could be good, but I didn't like how he ended Buffy, Angel, and Serenity. Seems to me like he runs out of steam before he finishes stuff. Both Buffy and Angel should have been at least one season, possibly two shorter.
In the case of Lost...you can argue that Abrams did the same thing.

Star Trek too...but I'll blame that on forcing Leonard Nimoy in there...and I don't think that was entirely his call.
__________________
Went there.....
Worked there....(Resort Operations)
Wed there....(EPCOT 2004)
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom


"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.