Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM   #256
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmar067 View Post
...trust me - you DON'T....

But to keep it AKL related so we don't in trouble, they have BACON at Boma

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
Old 01-25-2013, 11:34 AM   #257
dgbg100106

Quote:
Originally Posted by dato63 View Post
We are also visiting AKL for the first time in 2013. We are staying CL (for the first time also) from 3/6th - 3/16th.

We had breakfast at Boma during our last trip (3/2012) and my DD Madison just loved the look of the resort. For 2013 it was my DD Makayla's turn to pick what resort we stayed at, so she picked AKL to surprise her sister. Madison won't know until we check in.

I have an older DD and two grandsons who will be joining us, it will be their first trip to WDW. We booked them AKL CL as well so they can experience it with us. We will also be trying out the Sunrise Safari.

The pictures, information are adding to the excitement for us.

40 days and counting!!

eta: I'm also interested in hearing how Dave's DVC rental works out for everyone. I have rented points to visit Aulani this summer. First time renting points. So far it seemed easy enough - and we got a great deal for a 2 bedroom/oceanview. So I'm hoping it all goes well.

Congratulations and I love CL... I have added you to the list.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #258
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

does the studio at jambo have a toaster? and how big is the fridge? enough room for a gallon of milk and OJ, and maybe a small tub of butter?
Old 01-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #259
Golden Amik
Is it summer yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106

Congratulations and I have added you to the LIST
Thanks!

Now to stalk the heck out of this and the pic thread! AKL will be the perfect fit for our boys, one who has Asperger's. He has already asked to get books about African animals from the library! Printing the field guide today!
Old 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #260
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moopdog View Post
Should we be switching from Boma to Sanaa? I have an ADR for breakfast at Boma (we're in Jambo) during our stay, but for some reason I've been second guessing ALL of my ADR's. I'm thinking of turning our breakfast Boma into a dinner at Sanaa. I 'thought' Sanaa was a 2TS credit so I never gave it a thought. But now I see it's only 1TS and they have steak so my DH will be happy with that. I hate to "waste" a TS on a buffet, when we can have a nice, sit-down dining experience instead. BTW - we've never eaten at AKL before so they'd both be new for us.

I am a little worried the fact that it's Indian food (too spicy for my kids' mild tastes and DD's acid reflux?) Is everything on the menu spicy? What would you do??
I guess go with what you think you like better. I haven't been at Sanaa, but a lot of people seem to like it very much. Breakfast at Boma is wonderful, but mainly it is just a normal breakfast with just a few special African inspired dishes. Obviously dinner at a table service restaurant will be a very different experience form a breakfast buffet.

If you decided to eat at Sanaa, I would suggest to try to go there during the daylight hours as it does have a view and you could see animals walk past it if you are seated close to the windows. I think that sounds like a lovely and very special experience.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 01-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #261
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1
Well isn't it funny that we are all booked through David's rentals at about the same time? I'll be on the lookout for you! Traveling with DS8 and booked a savannah studio from Dec 4-8 in Jambo House. I've been obsessed with returning to this stunning resort! Cannot seem to stop thinking about it.
That IS funny! Did u stay in a savanna room last time? Did you stay in Jambo last time? How was it? Any tips/details would be greatly appreciated! .
Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #262
pghsteelerfan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Amik

Thanks!

Now to stalk the heck out of this and the pic thread! AKL will be the perfect fit for our boys, one who has Asperger's. He has already asked to get books about African animals from the library! Printing the field guide today!
There's a field guide???? My son would love that! Where did you get it? TIA
Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #263
John's Mom
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
AKL Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerob62 View Post
does the studio at jambo have a toaster? and how big is the fridge? enough room for a gallon of milk and OJ, and maybe a small tub of butter?
Yes, there is a toaster. The fridge is larger than in regular AKL rooms. I'm pretty sure that you can fit milk, OJ and several other smaller items in it.

Kathy

Old 01-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #264
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Yes, there is a toaster. The fridge is larger than in regular AKL rooms. I'm pretty sure that you can fit milk, OJ and several other smaller items in it.

Kathy
The fridge has a little freezer compartment too!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #265
dgbg100106

To gt the beer good and cold...

2013 Cruising adventures
Old 01-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #266
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John's Mom View Post
Yes, there is a toaster. The fridge is larger than in regular AKL rooms. I'm pretty sure that you can fit milk, OJ and several other smaller items in it....
....like, zebra domes.....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:48 PM   #267
thornton0511
DIS Veteran

Okay first of many questions, I am sure. We are staying in a DVC studio room in Jambo House and I just read somewhere that laundry facilities for DVC members staying in studios in Jambo are on the 5th floor and are free of charge for use. We are renting points and staying as guests so does that include us? If this is true is it just down the hall in a room or something? We have only stayed at CBR where the washer/dryers are located in the building by the pools so this would be a new interesting concept for me, especially since I will either be paying Disney $6 a day for more towels or doing laundry everyday lol. Thanks ~ Jenn
Old 01-26-2013, 08:20 AM   #268
RachelTori
AKL Jambo Wildbunch

Sees little green people
Wants to dine with Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thornton0511 View Post
Okay first of many questions, I am sure. We are staying in a DVC studio room in Jambo House and I just read somewhere that laundry facilities for DVC members staying in studios in Jambo are on the 5th floor and are free of charge for use. We are renting points and staying as guests so does that include us? If this is true is it just down the hall in a room or something? We have only stayed at CBR where the washer/dryers are located in the building by the pools so this would be a new interesting concept for me, especially since I will either be paying Disney $6 a day for more towels or doing laundry everyday lol. Thanks ~ Jenn

Jenn, as long as your reservation is on points, it won't matter if you're "renting" or an owner!

The laundry room for DVC is on the 5th floor, just off the lobby on Zebra Trail. There is a trash room on the right just off the lobby - the laundry room is just a bit beyond that. There's a small window so you can peek in, but need your room key to gain access.

It's small - only 2 washers, but 4 or 6 dryers. The washers/dryers are indeed free to use, but bring your own detergent/dryer sheets (you can also buy detergent in Zawadi and there is a vending machine in the laundry room).

The 1- and 2-bedroom units (and the GVs) have washers/dryers so you will only be competing with other studio units for washer/dryer time! Still, I hope you don't have to do laundry every day while there. That could severely cut into your "fun" time!!

Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #269
ddixon1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghsteelerfan View Post
That IS funny! Did u stay in a savanna room last time? Did you stay in Jambo last time? How was it? Any tips/details would be greatly appreciated! .
Hi there! We were not able to rent DVC points last time -- I hesitated, then lost out! ;(
We were in a standard view resort room on Zebra trail (Jambo) -- I was told (by experienced Dis-ers) that it was a "people pen" view. It was awesome. We all fell in LOVE with AKL! And zebra domes (my son has been chanting "Zebra DOMES -- Zebra DOMES -- Zebra DOMES" nightly, and was upset with me, that I was not able to make them for his birthday). LOL.

I suppose that my main "tip" (from a one-time stay) is to schedule enough time to explore/appreciate the resort! That was our only regret -- we visited 3 parks in 3 days (TOO MUCH!!!), and went to WWoS for RunDisney Kids races (which was great, BTW). However we did not spend enough "down" time at AKL (other than the first afternoon of swimming), or even visit Kidani. Hence, our return (renting DVC points) in December!

We did take advantage of a rental car, and shopped at Target (really close) the first night. So we ate breakfast in the room each morning, except the last day, when we splurged on Mickey waffles and quinoa porridge from Mara. We did not eat at any of the TS restaurants or Boma -- another trip for next trip! We loved the food at Mara.

This seems one place/resort where you can really slow down and take it all in. So much to do, but at a much more relaxed pace.... HTH.
Disney Half Marathon (POR), January 2000; Explorer of the Seas, July 2009; Oasis of the Seas, May 2011; Magic 2-night getaway from NYC, July 2012; Magic 5-night Canadian from NYC, August 2012; Animal Kingdom Lodge, January 2013; Dream 4-night to Bahamas, January 2013; Animal Kingdom Villas (Jambo Studio), August 2013, December 2013
Old 01-26-2013, 09:33 AM   #270
kimmar067
We have squash and zucchini coming outta the wazoo
I just shot coffee through my NOSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddixon1 View Post
Hi there! We were not able to rent DVC points last time -- I hesitated, then lost out! ;( ....
....apparently, that's what happens....
July 1992~off-site Dec 1999~CSR Feb 2001~DxL Nov 2001~Dolphin July 2002~CBR Aug 2002~WL Feb 2005~AKL/concierge Feb 2005~AKL Aug 2006~PoP C Aug 2006~AKL Dec 2007~DolphinJuly/Aug 2010~Mystic Dunes April 2013 ~ AKL"That's IT! The absolutely, positively VERY LAST Marino....." "We WEREN'T the 'Castle Family', We Didn't..." "The Trippie Who Hath...""Am I Up to the Challenge..."
I've been BOO'ED!!!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: