Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #61
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPCITY View Post
Totally agree with this. Unless you, personally, killed Inigo Montoya's father, there's no threat.

My DH has this one
Old 01-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #62
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
This is a sweet, funny movie but I see that some people have never seen it. I'm surprised to say the least.

Just for that reason he probably shouldn't have worn it. He likely didn't think about some people not having seen it.
Is the bolded another movie quote or "pop culture reference"? I din't know it was necessary to see every movie. There are a bunch of "classic"/popular movies that I've never seen... Any of the Godfather movies, Scarface, any Harry Potter, etc. I still know some quotes out of the movie. I *NEVER* would have thought the shirt was a movie quote.

Was it in poor taste? No. Was it a poor decision to wear it on a plane? I think "yes". And for the PP who said "why should I wear anything different on a plane", there was a thread a couple weeks ago about whether a Marilyn Manson(?) Tshirt was appropriate for WDW. MANY people said they thought it was inappropriate. Others said they had no problem with it. So yes, just because you wear something out in public doesn't mean it's appropriate everywhere.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-25-2013, 06:24 AM   #63
marlynnp
No take backs, bowing out or other weenie manuevers.

I've never seen the movie but I've read the book.

I suppose if I didn't know the reference and I had killed a man, I might be concerned about my safety.

'tis better to remain silent and appear a fool; than to speak and remove all doubt.
marlynnp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:36 AM   #64
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

It's here
http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/9f70/

People in masks can't be trusted

No it wouldn't have bothered me I would have laughed.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #65
shortbun
Peacenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I probably would not have even noticed the shirt!
this and if I did, I'd know what it was.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:50 AM   #66
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
I have never seen the movie and have no idea who Inigo Montoya is? For all I know it is the guy wearing the shirt.

I see it as a threat.

Then the guy wearing the t-shirt is the stupidest killer of all time.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #67
cluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

I'm not sure what's intimidating about a shirt. If this guy's plan was to do something violent, removing the shirt is not going to remove the threat.

I couldn't tell from the article if the flight attendant knew it was a movie quote or conveyed that to the disturbed passenger/s.
cluvsdisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #68
Lionqueen2
DIS Veteran

Considering all the issues that need to be addressed when flying today, I think this fellow made a very poor clothing decision. If he liked his shirt, there must have been many other opportunities for him to wear it aside from the plane. I can see where that message would scare passengers.
Lionqueen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:56 AM   #69
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I knew the quote so it wouldn't have bothered me.

If I didn't know the quote I would have probably assumed that someone who was planning to take down the plane probably wouldn't e advertising it on his t-shirt.

The FA could have just made him turn it inside out for the flight.

All that being said, I try to be very well-behaved when flying, just because I know there's all kinds of hoopla surrounding flying now that there didn't used to be. So I try to be really nice to all airline employees, I don't really have any "offensive" clothing so that usually isn't an issue. I pretty much do what I am told when I am at the airport.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #70
MissMichigan
A most peculiar mademoiselle

I'm just really failing to see what is "threatening" about a t-shirt. He obviously wore it past the airport security and they didn't see it as an issue. I highly doubt someone that actually *was* planning on trying to do something on the plane would wear a shirt proclaiming it.

Seems to me like someone only read the "prepare to die" portion, didn't bother reading the rest, jumped to conclusions/made assumptions, and decided to tell the flight attendant that they were scared of a t-shirt.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:17 AM   #71
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMichigan View Post
I'm just really failing to see what is "threatening" about a t-shirt. He obviously wore it past the airport security and they didn't see it as an issue. I highly doubt someone that actually *was* planning on trying to do something on the plane would wear a shirt proclaiming it.

Seems to me like someone only read the "prepare to die" portion, didn't bother reading the rest, jumped to conclusions/made assumptions, and decided to tell the flight attendant that they were scared of a t-shirt.
I agree with you that I doubt someone who actually intended to bring down a plane would wear a t-shirt advertising his plans.

I have seen the movie (and read the book) and I would instantly know who Inigo Montoya was, and what the quote meant, and would not be concerned. HOWEVER, if I had not seen the movie and did not know the context, I can see it being an "intimidating" shirt. That's all the article said -- some passengers felt intimidated. Not that they were in full-scale panic. The passenger was asked if he had another shirt he could change into. He did not, and was not forced to change. It sounds like a non-incident to me.

I can see how it could be "intimidating" because even though I did not kill Inigo Montoya's father. How often have we heard Al Queda accuse all "the western infidels" of killing Al Queda's fathers, children, brothers, etc. That's how they justify everything they've done. They think we started it, and therefore we must pay. Not that different than "You killed my father. Prepare to die." So, yeah, I can see how some people -- especially those most closely impacted by Al Queda's acts -- being "intimidated" if they did not know that it was a quote from a movie. It sounds like a terrorist manifesto.

For those who haven't seen the movie: Inigo Montoya is one of the main characters. When Inigo was very young, his father -- who was a master sword maker -- was murdered by a six-fingered man, leaving Inigo orphaned with nothing except the sword that the six-fingered man and his father had quarreled over. Inigo makes it his life's mission to become the best swordsman in the world...so that someday, when he finds the six fingered man, he can challenge him to a duel to avenge his father's death. He has even planned out what he plans to say to the six-fingered man when he finds him. It is: "Hello, My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Last edited by design_mom; 01-25-2013 at 09:23 AM.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #72
TifffanyD
Agreeing and making sense are not the same thing
I need to reload

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Yep, well I never saw the movie. Sorry, I don't find it amusing. NOt on a plane, not in these times. Just goes to show you, they will let anyone wearing anything on a plane these days. It is in very poor taste.
(Bolding mine) Wow, this comes across as incredibly elitist. Seems like someone wants to go back to the old days with separation of classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlynnp View Post
I've never seen the movie but I've read the book.

I suppose if I didn't know the reference and I had killed a man, I might be concerned about my safety.
LOL ..... maybe the folks on here who would be concerned about the shirt have shady pasts???
TifffanyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #73
hiwaygal
Only someone as wonderful as Donna can receive my picture PM's
aka Roadie
They must have been men
Is it Friday yet?!

Personally, I think I'd be more worried about the people who think a t-shirt is offensive or scary.

It's a t-shirt.

Paranoia is not a good thing.

The gift of happiness belongs to those who unwrap it.
hiwaygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #74
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwaygal View Post
Personally, I think I'd be more worried about the people who think a t-shirt is offensive or scary.

It's a t-shirt.

Paranoia is not a good thing.
Really? ANY t-shirt should be worn wherever? No one should find any picture/phrase/image/message offensive?
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #75
fairestoneofall
DIS Veteran

i have not seen the movie, but it wouldn't bother me. i guess i just don't get my feathers ruffled over such silly things. and i'm sorry, but it IS silly.

now, if it had a curse word or nudity or something, i'd be annoyed. but i wouldn't complain about it.

*DL Dumbo Double Dare-August 2014*POR January 2014*POP-October 2013*CR-December 2011--DD's 10th birthday trip!*POP-June 2010*Ft. Wilderness Cabin-September 2009*CSR/GF-Thanksgiving 2008*Caribbean Beach-August 2007: 10th Anniversary Trip*Shades of Green-November 2006*Port Orleans/All Star Movies-February 2005*yearly growing up, but never on site (generally the Knights Inn)
fairestoneofall is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: