Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
HappyGilmore
It is never to late to have a happy childhood!!!

sign language interpreter needed Magic Kingdom 1/26

Hello
Posting here to see if anyone might have the capability of helping my family out. We will be at the Magic Kingdom on Saturday in a group of 8 that includes 2 deaf friends one of whom will visit the MK for the first time. Any recommendations on how to go about finding someone who would be willing interpret for us to accompany us ? Thought perhaps there might be someone who has a annual pass and knows sign language that could meet us there.
Magic 6/9/00
Magic 9/2/00
Wonder 10/11/01
Wonder 9/1/02
Wonder 2/13/03
Wonder 9/1/05
Wonder 9/25/08
Dream 6/12/11
Dream 2/9/12
HappyGilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Are you looking for someone to act as a tourguide with your group for the day? Or simply asking about services available in the park? I believe certain shows have ASL interpreters but possibly only on specific days - hopefully someone will be along soon who knows that schedule. You can also call to ask.

If Sat. is not a day with interpreters scheduled, there are a couple other options available through Guest Relations. I think one is a captioning device. Stop by Guest Relations to find out more.

Enjoy your vacation!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran

They have a machine you can get at each park. It is a $25 deposit that you get back after you turn it back in. They can set the machine to do different things. My daughter did not like this option. We found it did not work well.

The next thing is at each attraction you can get a book that has a flashlight and you read the words that match that attraction. This is at the shows. My daughter did not like this option much because you can not read the book and watch the show.

The last thing they have at some of the attractions, example the muppets, is a clear plexi glass on a stand that you can reflect the words off the back wall. This needs to be asked about at the entrance of the attraction. She seemed to like this the best.

Most pre shows should have cc on the tv's. We found most were turned off. At Soarin it is only on one of the tv's, so you must request this. Try to do some planning ahead. We were met with such disappoinment. We were told Star Tours had something available for her. But that information was incorrect. Then someone brought her a book with flashlight, but informed us it may not match our scene. To be honest this is unacceptable. It was such a let down. The one girl we spoke with originally said she was new and what they taught her in training did not match what the truth was.

If you look at the park map it will have symbols at each attraction to tell you what is offered. Someone did mention they have someone who signs but it is on a rare schedule.

This was all new to us on this trip with my daughter. She has just started losing her hearing. We found alot of CM's did not know what was available. Even at guest services we found they were not versed in what was available. This surprised us considering Disney's reputation. I guess I take things for granted since we didn't need these services in the past. I just assumed it was top notch. It was very frustrating to us and not as smooth as I think it could have been.

Good luck and if you have any more questions I will do my best to try and help.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

I know that this was for yesterday but for your future information MK has interpreters on Monday and Thursday, Epcot Tuesday and Friday. Animal Kingdom Saturday and Studios Sunday and Wednesday. With 2 or more week notice interpreters can be set up for other events like dinner shows and tours (Backstage, Keys to the Kingdom etc) Schedules for interpreting can be obtained at any guest service location. You can get a handheld device for for a $25 refundable deposit. Also you can request reflective captioning at each venue that uses them.

We tend to spread the information through the deaf community by word of hand and if we see others using sign language will inform them of the schedule and share ours. The information is available online but it is buried in the information for all guests with disabilities. Sorry I didn't see this before your visit.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover

Last edited by Talking Hands; 01-27-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Talking Hands is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: