Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:55 AM   #16
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Disney is great with allergies but more so at TS meals than QS ones. You don't have contact with the chef, ability to preplan/arrange, etc with QS meals. It does make it less easy to tend to an allergy at Disney.

So if you did want to switch to the dining plan and plan more TS meals you may find the allergy issue to be very easy to deal with. But it does mean the switch from more QS to more TS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydays28 View Post
The main reason we thought we would not do DP was my daughter's food allergies (dairy and citrus, no juices or soy milk), and it will be hard to substitute for every meal and her snack credits would be wasted, and as a family we only drink water and the occasional tea. But I took a second look because as I understand it, all the credits are there to be used by whomever, certainly dad and I could use up the snack credits while bringing her safe stuff into the park with us. We are only doing 2 sit-downs: Cinderella breakfast and Garden Grill lunch, and will be doing safe stuff in the room or quick service, and after looking at the QS menus, there is no way we will spend over $1000 on meals at WDW, so DP is not a good deal for us.

Thanks everyone, it was a big help to read your responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids View Post
bummer about your daughter's food allergies. My 4 yr old has peanut allergies, I have always found the restaurants to be wonderfully helpful. (specifically TS) Most of the time, the Chef will come out to assist you with choices or preparing special meals to accommodate allergies. I would call with ADR's so the allergy can be noted, and then again when you arrive.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #17
jwgm2012
Geaux Saints!

We were also "running" the numbers for our upcoming trip this June... and while in the "real" world, spending $1345 on vacation food seems OUTRAGEOUS, during our last trip we probably spent more! Disney food is about 1.5x the cost of outside food...

We're 6 adults over 4 days = $56 per day/per person... When I break it down to $56 per person - yes, for our group of growing kids (16, 15, 12, 11) who eat us out of the house regularly, the dining plan is completely worth it...

As an example, we'll be having Chef Mickey's for breakfast and that's $37 each... that day alone, I can see us having surpassing the $56 in food the meal plan costs us... had we gone with lunch we would've spent the cost just on that meal...

I'd look at what you plan on doing... if a character meal is in your plans then you've already paid for your child's daily cost...

either way, have a great trip!

gina

June 2012 - Our First Semi-Blended Family Trip - CSR
December 2012 - DBF and I's First Ever Disney Christmas
June 2013 - Celebrating DD's 15th Birthday - OKW
November 2014 - DBF and I Celebrating My Big 4-0 at AULANI!!
jwgm2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
tiggerificamanda
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwgm2012
We were also "running" the numbers for our upcoming trip this June... and while in the "real" world, spending $1345 on vacation food seems OUTRAGEOUS, during our last trip we probably spent more! Disney food is about 1.5x the cost of outside food...

We're 6 adults over 4 days = $56 per day/per person... When I break it down to $56 per person - yes, for our group of growing kids (16, 15, 12, 11) who eat us out of the house regularly, the dining plan is completely worth it...

As an example, we'll be having Chef Mickey's for breakfast and that's $37 each... that day alone, I can see us having surpassing the $56 in food the meal plan costs us... had we gone with lunch we would've spent the cost just on that meal...

I'd look at what you plan on doing... if a character meal is in your plans then you've already paid for your child's daily cost...

either way, have a great trip!

gina
"LIKE!!!"

Amanda Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
tiggerificamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #19
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

My family of four, which includes two kids who are Disney adults, can eat THREE meals a day, including at least one TS per day for less than $50 per person per day. And, no, the TS are not all breakfast; usually only one of them is a buffet breakfast.

The reason we can is we prefer to drink water and only one son and I like dessert, so we share one at TS. We do have some snacks, but we usually share those as well.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Well I can tell you why we use the DDP

The 1st ye we stayed on site nearly all of our money was spent on food! Lol we didn't know about the DDP as even though I had done Disney many times I'd never stayed on site! And this time our kids was only 1,1,3 lol.

The next time we paid for DDP as it was our wedding and honeymoon we didn't want to worry about prices of food and wanted to eat out every night/day,
I kept our receipts and even though we never used up all our snacks ( we took home over 30 gifts) the total in food price was inane most meals we went to that was just normal TS cost us at least $150 just for the TS meal not including signatures

The next trip we did 3 wks and got the DDP free as we stayed at AKL therw was a few nights where my mum would have the boys and hubby & I would eat at signatures those meals alone just for 2 cost us over $100 and every character meal we did came to around $300 for the 6 of us
No way with out the Dining plan could we afford to do any of the restaurants the tips cost us enough without even adding in the meal price lol!

If you think you can eat QS for the whole trip for each meal then you might ....only might get away with it being reasonable but for us although we have had some fab QS meals like sunshine seasons and wolf gang puck it's not enough I need my TS meals and I enjoy the signatures and so for us no matter the cost we will ALWAYS get the Plan free or not!!

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

What happened is Disney played a beautiful long game. They gave the DDP away for free for years while they continued to raise the price. Now when most people make reservations, they think they should add (pay for) the dining plan. That's all they've ever heard people talk about and it became part of the collective planning psyche. The truth is that there are very, very few scenarios now where anyone could come out ahead. And don't use those spreadsheets; there's never been once that's been proven accurate (i.e. not taking into account that you're going to be paying a lot more in tips on the dining plan than you would be OOP)

Last edited by davedmaine; 01-25-2013 at 07:23 AM.
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #22
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=disneybliss2;47245108]

We also like having the dining plan so that we can book up to 10 meals at one time. That's nice being able to set your reservations all at once. We look forward to eating at a TS meal each night so the meal/dining plan has worked for us in the past.
QUOTE]

You don't need the DDP to book reservations..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #23
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
What happened is Disney played a beautiful long game. They gave the DDP away for free for years while they continued to raise the price. Now when most people make reservations, they think they should add (pay for) the dining plan. That's all they've ever heard people talk about and it became part of the collective planning psyche. The truth is that there are very, very few scenarios now where anyone could come out ahead. And don't use those spreadsheets; there's never been once that's been proven accurate (i.e. not taking into account that you're going to be paying a lot more in tips on the dining plan than you would be OOP)
There are people who spend more buying the dinning plan. There are people who spend less. It does work to the advantage for some. It does not work for everyone. Nothing does. I figured our costs using menus, not a calculator and I know for certain it helps us to use the dining plan. Do we save a lot of money? No we do not. We break even or maybe save $100. But we do not spend more. Of that I am certain. And you need to consider the "cost" of peace of mind. For some that's worth quite a lot
Old 01-25-2013, 01:02 PM   #24
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
There are people who spend more buying the dinning plan. There are people who spend less. It does work to the advantage for some. It does not work for everyone. Nothing does. I figured our costs using menus, not a calculator and I know for certain it helps us to use the dining plan. Do we save a lot of money? No we do not. We break even or maybe save $100. But we do not spend more. Of that I am certain. And you need to consider the "cost" of peace of mind. For some that's worth quite a lot
We are lucky enough to eat in a way that comes out ahead on the Deluxe plan. We came out hundreds of dollars ahead on a 10 night trip last summer. I kept the receipts and figured it out after we got back, just to make sure it was worth it. We do all meals TS and a daily signature, always get appetizers and desserts, generally tip well, and we do the same when we pay OOP. With the new pricing for this year, it's a lot closer, but we decided if we project it to be anywhere close, we'd do the Deluxe plan again for the convenience of it.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #25
sunnydays28
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the input. We have looked at almost all the menus for restaurants that would interest us and other than maybe adding hoop dee do or the luau, we are going to be very content with snacks or counter service. We have no interest in doing a TS type meal every day, we are going to be easily under $700 so there is no way we will need the DDP.

We will address the allergies at each of the 2-3 TS we will have, we have done that before and they are extremely helpful and yummy. But snacks would be a total waste for us--other than the fresh fruit, which we will have ourselves there is not a snack she can have.
sunnydays28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: