Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #751
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

I'm sure you didn't NEED that surgeon to say "no fast food" but it is always good to have back-up!

WOOHOO on organizing! If you want some additional motivation, there is a thread on the Budget Board that BAMB and I both subscribe to.... I believe it is entitled "Destash 2013" or something like that.

I have to be honest, as "healthy" as I try to eat, I almost NEVER, EVER notice the specific amount of sat fat in the things I eat.... although I am a diligent label reader. I mostly just make mental note of "total fat" and if it seems to high to me, I skip that item. What kinds of places might I find sat fat "hiding" that I wouldn't suspect???
Well, I am still on the learning curve however I can share what I have learned so far....

Not all fats are created equal. You have BAD fats and GOOD fats.

"Bad" fats" =

1) "Saturated fats", which are mostly found in "animal sources". Anyway that is what is said generally.

For example....I am looking at my extra virgin olive oil and it says 2grams of sat fat.

2) "Trans" fats, which I have not looked into yet. Never eat something with trans fat.

"Good fats" =

1) Polyunsaturated fats
2) Monounsaturated fats

Going back to the olive oil, if you look at the label further there is 5 grams of polyunsat fat and 7grams of monounsat fat.

These are GOOD fats. So if you are looking at a label and put it back down because of the TOTAL fat you are actually not "eating healthy".

The total fat of the olive oil 14g of which only 2gram are sat fat. The benefit of the good fats outweighs the bad fat.

The "goods fats" are needed for optimal health, for your heart, brain, and joints. You need about a certain percentage of these "good fats" daily in your diet in place of the sat fat.

That is what I got so far. We are striving for 17-20grams per day of sat fat. I have not calculated how much of the good fats you need per day.

Last edited by The Mystery Machine; 01-24-2013 at 09:52 AM.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #752
TiggerFan3590
Mouseketeer

QUESTION OF THE DAY - THURSDAY, JANUARY 24TH:

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE/MOST INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE THAT EITHER KEEPS YOU OR GETS YOU BACK ON TRACK?

"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."
Walt Disney
1995-CBR/Swan
2000-ASM
2006-DD High School Grad DS First Trip-CBR
2010-DS 8th Birthday BC-CL
2012-First Half Marathon-Tinker Bell DL

2014-Glass Slipper Challenge Completed!
2014-DDD-Earning my CTC
TiggerFan3590 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #753
Quicklabs
DIS Veteran

Sending you and DH lots of good wishes.

I'm glad he is doing well, but I know first hand how scary all this is. My husband has had two heart attacks and a quintuple bypass. That was about 10 years ago, when he was in his late 40s. He couldn't sustain the changes needed until I got serious about making a true lifestyle change myself just about a year ago. Now, he is making good choices without my "oversight". I'm proud of him. I wish your DH a continued good recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Thanks! This is my 3rd go round on the WISH boards.

I have to say that my dh having a heart attack & bypass surgery is some real hard core motivation.

Following a "diet" plan with regards to tracking "sat fat" & cholesterol is easier in some ways because it is simple to pick up a package and see how much sat fat is in something. The number you can have per day is low, so you really have to spend those "sat fat points", well.

So far I spend mine on cheese & meat in my breakfast, lunch, and dinner which means that I cannot "cheat" and have a treat because it would send my sat fat numbers too high. My snacks have to be fruit and veggies.

That is my "system" so far. I think I am going to go after sugar grams next. I will bet I can cut some more calories while boosting nutrition.

I am slowly changing things although talking to my dh I am making TOO MANY CHANGES! That is what he said right after surgery (I am telling you it was the wheat bread that sent him over the edge). Now he will actually ask what the sat fat grams are in something. There is hope.

He saw the surgeon today, all is well. He can drive and lift 30lbs. I already had him do a project today & hung up a dry erase board in the kitchen. (I am also trying to organize the household but that would be a whole other forum. )

Also good that we had a cardiac surgeon who sat there and tells us not to eat ANY fast food today. That is certainly motivating.

A house without a dog is just a shelter.
Wag more; bark less[
Quicklabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #754
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Ok, I have to share my yoga story with all of you. Last night I took my daughter to yoga, we usually go to the Weds and Sat. basic yoga class. We had bad driving conditions last night, icy roads, snowing, blowing snow, yuck! So we left 15 minutes earlier to accommodate for the extra travel time. Well, as soon as we hit the expressway it was bumper to bumper traffic ( never is like that but i guess people were still trying to get home from work) at that point, I thought " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot my purse and phone, damn! Those will come in handy for when I get stuck or get into an accident! " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. We got to yoga 15 minutes early, NO parking spots available in the small plaza parking lot we circled and circled and circled and gave up. I drove over to the bank to park, it's farther than I want to walk in this cold but what can you do. I got stuck! Rocked the car back and forth for 10 minutes - finally free and found a better parking spot. Yoga starts in 2 minutes, I'm pissed now. " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. I sucked in yoga last night, the only pose I truly rocked was the " lying flat on your back " pose. And then it happened, with 10 minutes left in class I farted so loud I think they heard it in the nail salon next door!! No warning! I don't know where it came from?? I finished the class with my towel across my face because I couldn't stop giggling like a 6TH grader . The ride home was no better, my on ramp was closed for a 4 car accident. But when I got home I was all smiles because the old me would have used all those excuses to skip the workout, the new me just " got it done "
O. K. Some of the smiles were because I kept thinking about the " incident " in class

My quote of the day:

Yoga, a place to fart among friends.
-anonymous
thanks for the chuckle and GOOD FOR YOU for not giving up!

Quote:
Well, I am still on the learning curve however I can share what I have learned so far....

Not all fats are created equal. You have BAD fats and GOOD fats.

"Bad" fats" =

1) "Saturated fats", which are mostly found in "animal sources". Anyway that is what is said generally.

For example....I am looking at my extra virgin olive oil and it says 2grams of sat fat.

2) "Trans" fats, which I have not looked into yet. Never eat something with trans fat.

"Good fats" =

1) Polyunsaturated fats
2) Monounsaturated fats

Going back to the olive oil, if you look at the label further there is 5 grams of polyunsat fat and 7grams of monounsat fat.

These are GOOD fats. So if you are looking at a label and put it back down because of the TOTAL fat you are actually not "eating healthy".

The total fat of the olive oil 14g of which only 2gram are sat fat. The benefit of the good fats outweighs the bad fat.

The "goods fats" are needed for optimal health, for your heart, brain, and joints. You need about a certain percentage of these "good fats" daily in your diet in place of the sat fat.

That is what I got so far. We are striving for 17-20grams per day of sat fat. I have not calculated how much of the good fats you need per day.

Thanks for the refresher! I guess I wasn't clear what I was asking. I am familiar with the different fats and all...just wondering where sat fats might be hiding that I wouldn't suspect.

I suspect that the majority of my sat fats comes from cheese and red meat. I do eat more beef than I think is optimal...mostly because DS is allergic to chicken so we have hamburg and pork more often.

I don't eat cured meats (at least, not often), I don't eat deep fried foods, I only eat low fat and nonfat dairy (other than the occasional ice cream treat), I eat very little packaged or processed foods, so as a rule I don't worry much about sat fats.

DD felt like her biology midterm went well, so thanks for the prayers and PD!

Thankfully DH will be home to take DS to robotics, so I don't have to go out again after I pick up DS at 3 pm today!

Had a great hour at the Y. Did some speed walking and incline work, plus a great stretch. DD and I had lunch at Chipotle, but they were out of guacamole so my vegetarian salad was a bit blah. Greens, a bit of brown rice, black beans, mild tomato salsa and sautéed onions and peppers. I don't usually have cheese, but since I didn't get guacamole I figured I needed a little more protein. I also got a cup of dressing on the side but didn't use more than a teaspoon. Overall it was tasty, but not filling enough. I'll be hungry by dinner time.

Sunshine today is wonderful, but brrrrrr, it's a cold one!! Off to go get DS! ........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #755
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post

Thanks for the refresher! I guess I wasn't clear what I was asking. I am familiar with the different fats and all...just wondering where sat fats might be hiding that I wouldn't suspect.

I suspect that the majority of my sat fats comes from cheese and red meat. I do eat more beef than I think is optimal...mostly because DS is allergic to chicken so we have hamburg and pork more often.

I don't eat cured meats (at least, not often), I don't eat deep fried foods, I only eat low fat and nonfat dairy (other than the occasional ice cream treat), I eat very little packaged or processed foods, so as a rule I don't worry
Got it. You are WAY ahead of me.

Oh yea, cheese is a big one. Hamburger is big too. Generally animal product = saturated fat.

I am really a work in progress.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #756
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

quotd:
“You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.”

Just found that on a quick search.

It's finally warmed up enough I can ride my bike to work so I think I will today.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #757
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Down 3.8 at WW today which puts me at 60% for my monthly goal -- going to be tough but I can do it!
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #758
goofyfigment
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711
Down 3.8 at WW today which puts me at 60% for my monthly goal -- going to be tough but I can do it!
Congrats
1984 First Visit Off Site 1987 Off Site 1996 All Star Sports 1997 Howard Johnson Enchantedland 1998 The Spas @ Resort World 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH 2007 Sheraton Vistana Villages and HRH 2008 Parkway International and RPR 2009 All Star Sports 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas 2011 Club Seville 2011 All Star Sports 2012 Sheraton Vistana Resort and Windsor Hills 2012 Westgate Leisure Resort and POP 2013 Westgate Vacation Villas 2013 Birthday trip Royal Pacific 2013 Portofino Bay 2013 POP 2013 All Star Movies 2014 Wilderness Lodge Villas 2014 Vacation Villas At Fantasyworld
goofyfigment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #759
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Ok, I have to share my yoga story with all of you. Last night I took my daughter to yoga, we usually go to the Weds and Sat. basic yoga class. We had bad driving conditions last night, icy roads, snowing, blowing snow, yuck! So we left 15 minutes earlier to accommodate for the extra travel time. Well, as soon as we hit the expressway it was bumper to bumper traffic ( never is like that but i guess people were still trying to get home from work) at that point, I thought " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. About 5 minutes later I realized I forgot my purse and phone, damn! Those will come in handy for when I get stuck or get into an accident! " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. We got to yoga 15 minutes early, NO parking spots available in the small plaza parking lot we circled and circled and circled and gave up. I drove over to the bank to park, it's farther than I want to walk in this cold but what can you do. I got stuck! Rocked the car back and forth for 10 minutes - finally free and found a better parking spot. Yoga starts in 2 minutes, I'm pissed now. " should we just go back home? " NO, we will continue on. I sucked in yoga last night, the only pose I truly rocked was the " lying flat on your back " pose. And then it happened, with 10 minutes left in class I farted so loud I think they heard it in the nail salon next door!! No warning! I don't know where it came from?? I finished the class with my towel across my face because I couldn't stop giggling like a 6TH grader . The ride home was no better, my on ramp was closed for a 4 car accident. But when I got home I was all smiles because the old me would have used all those excuses to skip the workout, the new me just " got it done "
O. K. Some of the smiles were because I kept thinking about the " incident " in class

My quote of the day:

-anonymous

Awesome perseverance and great story! Just what I needed today.

I am fighting my stomach right now. I ate too many things last week with just a tiny bit of gluten in them (not really cheating, but stuff that was made in a factory where wheat is also used kind of stuff) and things have not been working the way they are supposed to and today is the pits. Hopefully it will be better soon. I did it to myself cause I knew I was taking a chance so now I have to live with it.

Hope everyone is having a great Thursday!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #760
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50sjayne View Post
quotd:
“You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.”

Just found that on a quick search.

It's finally warmed up enough I can ride my bike to work so I think I will today.
What do you consider warm enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Wow! That is a great loss! Congratulations!

Quote:
Got it. You are WAY ahead of me.

Oh yea, cheese is a big one. Hamburger is big too. Generally animal product = saturated fat.

I am really a work in progress.
No worries...we are all still learning all the time! I try to make the hamburg go further by adding TVP, refried beans, and lots of veggies whenever possible. My meatloaf is probably only 2/3 meat...I add lots of veggies, oatmeal, flaxseed, etc. when we have hamburg for sloppy joes and tacos it always has veggies added.

I try to have at least one meatless dinner every week....two or more if DH is away. It is just hard since he follows Atkins pretty carefully. Of course, the meatless meals often end up being pretty heavy on the cheese, eggs, and carbs...especially for the kids. I personally am content with a veggie soup, bean dish, big salad or peanut butter sandwich.

Tonight was eggs on the schedule for dinner, but DH had a Dr. oz muffin and tea instead. DS is having pizza at robotics, so it was just DD and I. I had scrambled egg whites with sautéed onions, peppers, and mushrooms ("plan-overs" from last night), and some low fat home-fried potatoes...plus a scoop of the broccoli salad left from last weekend.

I am off to take a relaxing bath! How often do I say that? I must admit that I have two loads of laundry to fold, but a relaxing warm bath just sounds too good to pass up! The laundry can wait!

I may pop on again before I go to sleep, but if not I'll TTY tomorrow!........P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #761
Mary•Poppins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime View Post
Busy day again tomorrow, so I'm going to post ahead of time:

QUESTION OF THE DAY - THURSDAY, JANUARY 24TH:

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE/MOST INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE THAT EITHER KEEPS YOU OR GETS YOU BACK ON TRACK?

I looked on the internet and found this one ...

Remember, you are not a heavy person trying to slim down. You are a trim, healthy person learning how to reemerge.
 Celso Cukierkorn, The Miracle Diet: Lose Weight, Gain Health... 10 Diet Skills

Quote:

My quote of the day:

-anonymous
I started laughing out loud. My family asked what I was reading so I read your post to them. They were all laughing too! My yoga instructor said that "tooting" in class means your body is working well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisah0711 View Post
Keep up the great work! I too had movement on the scale today ... finally! I am right now craving something to eat. I am going to make a cup of herb tea. I have to get rid of this feeling ....

And Pam ... here is the YouTube of the Flash Mob with the Jonas Brothers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z06WSDCDIUs

Last edited by Mary•Poppins; 01-24-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Mary•Poppins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #762
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What do you consider warm enough?
As long as it's not freezing ;-)

It rained on the way home but it was kind of fun for me....dunno if I'd do it again soon but it was ok.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:29 AM   #763
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That was a great post! I just cut it down for easier quoting, but I liked all of it. I knew about all of that - and that one sentence I am quoting is really essential.

I used to think eliminating all fat from my diet would really help my weight loss. But I was struggling and did not get anywhere. Then I read something about how your body needs the good fats to burn the stored fat and started to use more olive oil in my salad dressing and things like that. Now I actually eat more calories, and especially more from fat - but good fats - than before and lose weight better. I have eliminated things like butter (even though I love it, but it is a treat only for special occassions), but my standard tomato sauce with pasta will get an additional teaspoon of olive oil.
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:21 AM   #764
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Good morning all!

Emily, thanks for coaching last week! And thanks to our hostess this month, Rose.

I am Lisa and I will be your coach this week -- the final week of our challenge. I will also be your hostess for next month's challenge.

I'm going to continue our discussion about dietary fat and what is good and what is not by sharing a bit of an article from sparkpeople.com :

6 Risks of Eating a Low-Fat Diet
How Low Can You Go? The Big Fat Truth about Low-Fat Diets
-- By Sarah Haan, Registered Dietitian

Being conscious of your dietary fat intake is definitely a good thing, especially when you're trying to reduce your risk of heart disease or lose weight. But if you take it too far, you could be putting your health in jeopardy.

So how much fat do you need?
For healthy adults, the Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 20% to 35% of your daily calories come from fat. Both SparkPeople and the American Heart Association take a middle of the road approach, advocating a 30% fat intake.

Here are six health risks you're taking when you restrict your fat intake too far.

1. Poor Vitamin Absorption
2. Depression
3. Increased Cancer Risk
4. High Cholesterol and Heart Disease
5. Imbalance of Nutrients—Especially Carbs
6. Overeating

Just as eating too few calories can hurt your weight-loss efforts, a diet too low in fat can hurt your health, too. Enjoy a moderate amount of fat daily with the peace of mind that you are protecting your heart, brain and your body with every bite.

Here is a link to the entire article if you are interested http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/...cles.asp?id=60

Which leads me to the QOTD Friday, January 25, 2013: Do you think you have too little or too much fat in your diet? How do you deal with fats in your plan?

I'll BRB with my answers as well as some replies.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:35 AM   #765
Missypyxi
Mouseketeer

Deleted double post!

FairyDawn on Etsy

Last edited by Missypyxi; 01-25-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Missypyxi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: