Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:29 PM   #3031
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis703 View Post
Okay, I've searched a little to try and find an answer so I wouldn't have to ask what may be a silly question, but there is so much information to read through I couldn't find it.

I notice a number of people mention requesting a corner room. What is the appeal of a corner room?

Just curious.

Heather
Extra window so more light and extra view - a very nice to have!

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #3032
Dis703
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
You only share one common wall. You also get a second window if you want a view and that is if you have your blinds open.
"Extra window so more light and extra view - a very nice to have!"

Okay. I guess not something I'm too worried about. With 3 little ones and only 2 days at POR I won't likely have a lot of time to gaze at the view-lol.

I'm just hoping for first floor so I'm not carrying the twins and a double stroller up a flight of stairs and something closer to the main building. I think I'll leave it at that.

Thanks!
Heather
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #3033
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

For the reduced noise I'd love to be on the top floor, but we have 4yr old twins and the thought of dragging them up stairs after long days is just too much!!

Have a great trip xx

POR Feb 6-14 2013
POR Feb 2-11 2014
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #3034
rsleleux
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley

In all seriousness though, that is one downside of resort staff going way above and beyond the normal level of guest service - people start to expect it rather than just being happy when they get a bit of extra pixie dust. Some WDW resorts apparently just throw room-request faxes away (we've been told) yet because of the sterling work from the room assignment folks at Port Orleans we're now starting to see people worrying when they haven't been emailed back to confirm all of their requests within a few hours.

Andre
I can honestly say I am a little nervous that I didn't a receive a response from my fax request last week. I am truly grateful for all the helpful tips I have received from you and Venom! I do realize that my request is simply that...a request! I am sending a fax request to have the best chances to have a little pixie dust spread our way and possibly getting a convenient room! However I have no expectations nor would it ruin my trip if it wasn't honored! I feel fortunate to be at Disney again, and that in itself is a blessing! I am more excited about my upcoming trip to Disney and our stay at POR than ever before! This thread has really excited me mostly because the people are kind, helpful and genuine! It is ironic that I am from Louisiana and never desired to stay at POR or POFQ because I thought "why would I want to stay here? I see Louisiana and the Bayou everyday.. I want to experience something different!" Actually, I have realized that going through this thread...It feels like home! I love the people in my hometown, they are kind, helpful and genuine! I have stayed at all the other moderates several times and I have enjoyed my stay there and sometimes the walk was a little further but that was no biggie! I booked a room at POR because we have 5 people in our room, and that is what brought us here but I think I found my home at Disney! I like that the staff goes above and beyond to make their guest comfortable, it is very much appreciated!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #3035
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity
I got carted off in the meat wagon

Location: Originally from Newport News, VA but Home is Kissimmee, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsleleux View Post
I can honestly say I am a little nervous that I didn't a receive a response from my fax request last week. I am truly grateful for all the helpful tips I have received from you and Venom! I do realize that my request is simply that...a request! I am sending a fax request to have the best chances to have a little pixie dust spread our way and possibly getting a convenient room! However I have no expectations nor would it ruin my trip if it wasn't honored! I feel fortunate to be at Disney again, and that in itself is a blessing! I am more excited about my upcoming trip to Disney and our stay at POR than ever before! This thread has really excited me mostly because the people are kind, helpful and genuine! It is ironic that I am from Louisiana and never desired to stay at POR or POFQ because I thought "why would I want to stay here? I see Louisiana and the Bayou everyday.. I want to experience something different!" Actually, I have realized that going through this thread...It feels like home! I love the people in my hometown, they are kind, helpful and genuine! I have stayed at all the other moderates several times and I have enjoyed my stay there and sometimes the walk was a little further but that was no biggie! I booked a room at POR because we have 5 people in our room, and that is what brought us here but I think I found my home at Disney! I like that the staff goes above and beyond to make their guest comfortable, it is very much appreciated!!
Well move forward with what I passed on to you and get back to me when you can.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #3036
rsleleux
DIS Veteran

Sorry I posted twice, I didn't think my first one went through. I wanted to be sure you guys knew how grateful I am for all your help!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #3037
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

Quote:
Sorry I posted twice, I didn't think my first one went through. I wanted to be sure you guys knew how grateful I am for all your help!
Oh no problem its what we are here for. now I am off to bed.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #3038
Ashley0408
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone!! I decided to opt out of the Caribbean and go with my gut and stay at POR in a Royal Room. Are these all located generally close by to the Riverside Mill? And when I make my reservations, is there a way I can request a first floor room (I can't imagine lugging up two kids, strollers and bags to the third floor after a full day at the parks)?

Again, thank you everyone for all the tips!
And, thank you Bumbershoot about the tip about the lights in the bathroom. While my older one may find it cool, I don't think my three year old would appreciate it in the middle of the night

Me (26) Brenton (27) Matthew (5): Ryan (3):
Old 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #3039
Wendilou
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I can honestly say I am a little nervous that I didn't a receive a response from my fax request last week. I am truly grateful for all the helpful tips I have received from you and Venom! I do realize that my request is simply that...a request! I am sending a fax request to have the best chances to have a little pixie dust spread our way and possibly getting a convenient room!
I also felt this way. I sent my fax in last Wednesday. I never received any kind of response. My DH was worrying more about whether any of our requests would be granted or if they had receive my fax. He convinced me to call on Monday to see if they had received my fax. After having difficulty get the phone number off of my phone while at Universal, I got a machine. I left a message but didn't want to try to retrieve the other number off of my phone I just left it at that. We checked in morning on Tuesday. All of my request were granted and we upgraded to a preferred room (I booked garden view only with a request for AB). I did receive a return call from my message that I left but after we were already in our room.

So to those that don't hear anything, do not worry! You still might get what you want with maybe some pixie dust added in like me!!!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #3040
rsleleux
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendilou

I also felt this way. I sent my fax in last Wednesday. I never received any kind of response. My DH was worrying more about whether any of our requests would be granted or if they had receive my fax. He convinced me to call on Monday to see if they had received my fax. After having difficulty get the phone number off of my phone while at Universal, I got a machine. I left a message but didn't want to try to retrieve the other number off of my phone I just left it at that. We checked in morning on Tuesday. All of my request were granted and we upgraded to a preferred room (I booked garden view only with a request for AB). I did receive a return call from my message that I left but after we were already in our room.

So to those that don't hear anything, do not worry! You still might get what you want with maybe some pixie dust added in like me!!!
Oh that is great news! Congratulations! I sent my fax a week and it has been 10 days and I haven't heard anything yet, but I will send again tomorrow! I'm still hopeful and excited either way!

Old 01-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #3041
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott MC View Post
I'd LOVE to see any pics anyone has of corner RGRs.
I don't have any specifically of corner Royal rooms, but the basic layout is the same as all the other corner rooms - there is an extra full-size window next to the table and chair, which gives a different view to that from the main window and lets in more natural light. In RGRs, the extra window replaces the oval mirror, and the wall-hanging pennants get relocated further into the room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g8torphan View Post
From the 3rd floor at Parterre in a RGV can you see the river at all or is it blocked by trees?
There are several River View rooms in the middle of the 3rd floor which have a nice view of the water, although the side ones get blocked by trees. There are also some nice views from the rooms facing into the courtyard nearer the river. The river is behind the camera in this shot, which shows the central area at the back/right of the photo, and the northern wing section in the foreground on the left:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyEhCA View Post
Good point, actually. Maybe they aren't able to call internationally?
I would strongly suggest quoting your email address in your faxes so they can reply that way if necessary. They won't always though, they may just read and do whatever they can at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canooknic View Post
Exactly!! I'd be happy in a tent in the carpark....
I think we have a new booking category to suggest to Disney... including the new premium priced Disney's Royal Tent in Car Park TM®©

Quote:
I admit I am worried that I haven't received a response to my fax in the past week but I am truly grateful for all the help that I have received from you and Venom! ... and after reading the thread and the website, it feels like home! I am surrounded by kind people in my hometown and I am really glad we are staying here! I found my new home at Disney!
So glad we could help. Both Venom and I do this just to try to help out and make people's stays even more magical. From my point of view it's a kind of "pay it forward" thing, trying to give back some of the magic and pixie dust that I've experienced from Port Orleans over the years (and Dixie Landings before that).

Please don't worry too much about getting responses to faxes though, not everyone will get a personal reply - although I gather than Venom's secret voodoo magic tips via PM might help.

Quote:
Oh that is great news! Congratulations! I sent my fax a week and it has been 10 days and I haven't heard anything yet, but I will send again tomorrow! I'm still hopeful and excited either way!
It's best to send faxed requests about 3-5 days before arrival. I wouldn't suggest too much earlier than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomhatch View Post
Oh no problem its what we are here for. now I am off to bed.
And here on the other side of the Pond, I take over for my shift...

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14

Last edited by andrewilley; 01-25-2013 at 04:25 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 04:55 AM   #3042
macadoo
Earning My Ears

I'm very excited about staying at POR for the first time in August , we have only been to Disneyworld once before in 2011 and stayed at All Star Sports and had a brilliant time....DS and DD absolutely loved the resort. We chose POR this time as there wasn't much price difference and we get the free QSDP Anyhow, i was showing DS(15) pictures of POR last night and he said "looks very nice BUT it looks more of an adults hotel" think he is a tad disappointed we aren't staying at All Stars again

So anyone who has stayed there with older children (mine will be 12 and 15) please tell me it is a great resort for kids?? We took them to Paris Disney many times while they were growing up so Disney is his happy place (he's even happy to have his photos taken with all the princesses ) I think he's worried he isn't gonna get that same happy Disney feeling that he got at the value resort

Last edited by macadoo; 01-25-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #3043
Turrash
Earning My Ears

Just finished up booking my first family vacation to Disney. 8 months is SO LONG FROM NOW! This thread is killing me too, it makes me so excited to go Last time I was in Disney was 2002, then before that I think 1991 or 1992.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:10 AM   #3044
OttawaON
Earning My Ears

Awesome news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendilou View Post

I'm so happy for you and your family! It goes to show that the people at Port Orleans Riverside really care.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #3045
Venomhatch
DisDads #708
Cast Member - Resort
It's a growing curiosity

I'm back on Andre. Lol
Closed Thread

Tags
faq, faqs, por, port orleans, port orleans riverside

Rate This Thread