Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #76
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcyinPA View Post
Sometimes. If the windows are frosted over, or if the temperature is really really cold, I will. It makes me nervous because we have on-street parking, and I don't have my spare set of keys (DH has them on his ring), so I leave the car running and unlocked on the street. My neighborhood is pretty safe, but it only takes one "bad guy" to hop in and drive off in my mini-van...
That's why I love my stick. The greater percentage of the yahoo's in our neighborhood, that would even think about driving off in my car, would jump in and right back out. None of them can drive the thing.

Funny thing, I take my car to the same place all the time for an oil change. Every time, I remind the girl putting together the work order, it's a stick. 9 outta 10 times, the guy going out to pull my car into the bay, has to come back in and have someone else go pull it in.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #77
ReneeA
DIS Veteran

Anytime it's under 10° outside, I do. If my windshield is iced over, I do. I put my heated seats on high and turn the front blower on high all winter, just in case I want to use the auto start.

I leave for work at 6:20am and don't get home until 8pm. Winters in Michigan are super cold, even colder at that time of day. No need to be tired AND frozen on my way to work.
1980 offsite, 1988 offsite, Aug 1998 offsite, Apr 1999 offsite, Aug 2005 (free dining) ASMo, Aug 2006 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2007 CSR, Aug 2008 (free dining) CSR, Aug 2010 (free dining) CBR, Aug 2012 WL, Feb 2014 girl's trip AS Sports
ReneeA is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #78
manning
Just for that I have requested it be left open!!!
We each have a sore spot....My butt and her right foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
When it's negative outside, I'm not putting my behind in a freezing cold car. That is why its warmed up for as long as it is. Plus, I know my car and if she's not warmed up, she not a happy car.
OK by me, just clearing up a misconception.
manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:39 AM   #79
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
We HAVE to plug in our car or it isn't moving the next day. I don't know one single person who uses a block heater (if that's the one inside the car). Cars around here have extension cords coming out of the front grill so they can be plugged in, wherever they are..
YOU have an engine block heater, that is what the extension cord coming out of the front is hooked up to. The interior heater is an interior heater I guess, I always remember them being in the passenger side footwell on my uncle's cars, but searching the web, it appears now most mount on top of the dashboard like this:
Old 01-25-2013, 04:37 AM   #80
Mermaid02
BL II - Blue Team
Cocoa Krispies all the way!
My son's hermit crab is a zombie....
I'm leaving this snake lover infested thread

I have an older car and it is VERY cold blooded. If I jump in and go it just doesn't have the "pick me up" for 10 minutes or so. In this weather I usually start it and let it run a bit in the summer I'm more likely to start and go- but she still doesn't like it!

~Be your own inspiration~
Mermaid02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #81
CdnCarrie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
YOU have an engine block heater, that is what the extension cord coming out of the front is hooked up to. The interior heater is an interior heater I guess, I always remember them being in the passenger side footwell on my uncle's cars, but searching the web, it appears now most mount on top of the dashboard like this:

Never seen anything like that before. No one around here on the Canadian Prairies has such a thing.
CdnCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM   #82
Mom_Rides
DIS Veteran

On very cold mornings (like this past week with negative morning temps) and if there is snow/frost on the windows, I will warm the car for 10 minutes or so. I usually run out, start the car, brew a cup of coffee, we put coats on and go. Mornings like today where the temps are above zero but still chilly, I run out, start the car and come back in to get coats on and such.

Our first trip! June 5-11, 2010 @ POR
A short trip just for our Princess! April 17-19, 2012 @ POP
Mom_Rides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #83
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie View Post
Never seen anything like that before. No one around here on the Canadian Prairies has such a thing.
I don't know what the heck that thing is either!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:01 PM   #84
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Fire up and go. We have a garage, so no need to scrape windshields unless it snows when I'm at work.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #85
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

When we lived in NY, DH had a remote starter for his car. It was AWESOME on cold mornings (and for freaking out people in the parking lot who thought the car was possessed when it would start by itself). Now in NC, it really isn't necessary. We'll get in and rev it up and let it sit for a minute if it's uber-cold before driving off.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #86
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennasis View Post
When we lived in NY, DH had a remote starter for his car. It was AWESOME on cold mornings (and for freaking out people in the parking lot who thought the car was possessed when it would start by itself). Now in NC, it really isn't necessary. We'll get in and rev it up and let it sit for a minute if it's uber-cold before driving off.

Wife has that feature on her car - we use it for the AC more than the heat
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #87
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
I have 2 uncles, 2 aunts and 10 cousins on the Canadian Prariies with them.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #88
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
OK by me, just clearing up a misconception.
I was thinking the same thing. Wind chill for a car? Even if you're sitting in the car, you aren't feeling the wind chill.

I park in a garage at home. On the way home, I'll sit in my freezing car if it's 10 or lower, but I'm sure I don't sit long enough. I'm always impatient to get home.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #89
Northstar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have 2 uncles, 2 aunts and 10 cousins on the Canadian Prariies with them.

The mystery here is where the block heater is located. I believe cars sold in the frozen northern reaches, ie Canadian Prairies, have the block heater inside the engine, not installed as an accessory mounted on the dash.

Wikipedia entry on engine block heaters: "A block heater warms an engine to increase the starting speed of the vehicle as well as warm up the vehicle faster than it normally would in cold weather. The most common type is an electric heating element connected through a power cord often routed through the vehicle's grille. The block heater may replace one of the engine's core plugs, or may be installed in line with one of the radiator or heater hoses"

I just know, when I see a car with a plug hanging out the front grille, it's going to have a license plate from Saskatchewan or Manitoba!
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #90
js
Good things come to those who wait
Joyful Mommy, WISHer, cruiser
Wants to see Tinkerbell fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283 View Post
I have a remote start so I start it up and let it warm up for 10-15 minutes. then it's nice and toasty when I get in it. I know it's bad for the environment but I'd rather be comfortable.
I'm sure you wondered if you would get backlash for saying this but I just want to say "back at ya!" I do the same thing! I HATE the cold and before I shut my car off once I get home, I put the heat all the way up and the defroster if there is a chance of snow/ice.

Stay Warm!
js is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: