Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #46
S. C.
Loves to snorkel
Swam with the dolphins
Got soaked on BTMRR
Another tag
 
S. C.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Michigan
Posts: 26,212

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I probably would not have even noticed the shirt!
Same here!
__________________
..................
Be kinder than necessary-everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle!
.
..................If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

.............................................................

There's a great big, beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day!




.
S. C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #47
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE
 
ChrisFL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tampa, FL, US
Posts: 7,540

Wow, so many people have never seen the movie? Inconcievable!
__________________



Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #48
robinb
DIS Veteran
 
robinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 30,923

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax

Yep, well I never saw the movie. Sorry, I don't find it amusing. NOt on a plane, not in these times. Just goes to show you, they will let anyone wearing anything on a plane these days. It is in very poor taste.
You should see the movie. It is very good. Romantic, swashbuclkling and funny all rolled into one. It's also very popular with men ... Something I always found interesting. Most if the men I know love the movie. It's one of those movies that I can start watching at any point in the movie and then end up watching the rest if it.
__________________
DVC Member since 1997
Walt Disney World 2013 * Disneyland Paris 2012 * Disneyland 2011 * Hong Kong Disneyland 2007 * Tokyo Disneyland 2007
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #49
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked
 
Bluestars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,702

I've never seen the movie, but the shirt wouldn't have bothered me. I wouldn't wear a shirt like that on a plane though because the slightest thing can set people off. A little common sense should tell a person not to wear a shirt that talks about killing people, bombs, or violence, even if it's just a joke or movie quote. It's not a good idea to assume everyone has seen the movie and knows it's a joke.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:46 PM   #50
The Wise One
Mouseketeer
 
The Wise One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax

Yep, well I never saw the movie. Sorry, I don't find it amusing. NOt on a plane, not in these times. Just goes to show you, they will let anyone wearing anything on a plane these days. It is in very poor taste.
How is quoting one of the best movies ever made in poor taste? Why would I dress any differently for a plane ride than for any other occasion? Am I supposed to wear my Sunday best to fly?
__________________
Fur Babies - Ollie:
Meeko:
Luna: Sissy:
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #51
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
How is quoting one of the best movies ever made in poor taste? Why would I dress any differently for a plane ride than for any other occasion? Am I supposed to wear my Sunday best to fly?
Anything with the words "prepare to die" on an airplane especially after 9/11 to me is in very poor taste. Sorry, but if you don't understand that, there is no explaining to be done. And actually I do remember when people dressed up to fly, but no you don't. Again, saying " prepare to die" on a plane is poor taste. We don't have all that security out there because people have nothing better to do than make other people take off shoes, x ray everything they have and go through body scanners. As another pp stated, it isn't the shirt, but it is the fact that is was worn on an airplane.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #52
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
You should see the movie. It is very good. Romantic, swashbuclkling and funny all rolled into one. It's also very popular with men ... Something I always found interesting. Most if the men I know love the movie. It's one of those movies that I can start watching at any point in the movie and then end up watching the rest if it.
I will check it out. I am sure I will like it. I am just not much of a movie person.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #53
The Wise One
Mouseketeer
 
The Wise One's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Niceville, FL
Posts: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax

Anything with the words "prepare to die" on an airplane especially after 9/11 to me is in very poor taste. Sorry, but if you don't understand that, there is no explaining to be done. And actually I do remember when people dressed up to fly, but no you don't. Again, saying " prepare to die" on a plane is poor taste. We don't have all that security out there because people have nothing better to do than make other people take off shoes, x ray everything they have and go through body scanners. As another pp stated, it isn't the shirt, but it is the fact that is was worn on an airplane.
This was in Australia, are they really supposed to walk on eggshells because of an American tragedy? People are just way too sensitive nowadays. Yes people die, they die all the time in lots of different ways, but there is no reason out sense of humor should die too.
__________________
Fur Babies - Ollie:
Meeko:
Luna: Sissy:
1st WDW Trip: November 2009 - Coronado Springs
2nd: December 2011 - All Star Movies
3rd: January 6th, 2013- Pop Century Resort
First DCL: May 25th, 2013- FANTASY!
4th: June 2013 - Art of Animation
5th: November 2013 - Coronado Springs

Last edited by The Wise One; 01-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.
The Wise One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #54
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat
 
design_mom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 2,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I will check it out. I am sure I will like it. I am just not much of a movie person.
The book is 10 times better than the movie. (I like the movie, but the book is my all time favorite.) Read the book!

As for the OP, I know the movie/book and I know the reference. However, I agree that wearing something that says "prepare to die" on an airplane probably wasn't a great idea.
__________________
Mom to DS13 and DD9.
design_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:17 PM   #55
mhsjax
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 8,549

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wise One View Post
This Watson Australia, are they really supposed to walk on eggshells because of an American tragedy? People are just way too sensitive nowadays. Yes people die, they die all the time in lots of different ways, but there is no reason out sense of humor should die too.

We will have to agree to disagree.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #56
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist
 
Planogirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Frisco,Texas
Posts: 45,074

This is a sweet, funny movie but I see that some people have never seen it. I'm surprised to say the least.

Just for that reason he probably shouldn't have worn it. He likely didn't think about some people not having seen it.
__________________
PG
Planogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #57
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious
 
mommasita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 18,907
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Anything with the words "prepare to die" on an airplane especially after 9/11 to me is in very poor taste. Sorry, but if you don't understand that, there is no explaining to be done. And actually I do remember when people dressed up to fly, but no you don't. Again, saying " prepare to die" on a plane is poor taste. We don't have all that security out there because people have nothing better to do than make other people take off shoes, x ray everything they have and go through body scanners. As another pp stated, it isn't the shirt, but it is the fact that is was worn on an airplane.
Agreed.
I've seen the movie, and still find it in poor taste.

I would have had him turn it inside out or change. I've actually had to do it for less.
__________________
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
mommasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 PM   #58
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one
 
declansdad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 19,989

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Anything with the words "prepare to die" on an airplane especially after 9/11 to me is in very poor taste. Sorry, but if you don't understand that, there is no explaining to be done. And actually I do remember when people dressed up to fly, but no you don't. Again, saying " prepare to die" on a plane is poor taste. We don't have all that security out there because people have nothing better to do than make other people take off shoes, x ray everything they have and go through body scanners. As another pp stated, it isn't the shirt, but it is the fact that is was worn on an airplane.

If the only thing on the t-shirt was the phrase "prepare to die" I would agree that this was not something to wear in the plane. But is wasn't the only thing in the t-shirt and the rest of the quote adds the context and would make it obvious that this wasn't some type of threat.
__________________
Darcy
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr




declansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #59
POPCITY
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 436

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad

If the only thing on the t-shirt was the phrase "prepare to die" I would agree that this was not something to wear in the plane. But is wasn't the only thing in the t-shirt and the rest of the quote adds the context and would make it obvious that this wasn't some type of threat.
Totally agree with this. Unless you, personally, killed Inigo Montoya's father, there's no threat.
POPCITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 PM   #60
Baliezer
DIS Veteran
 
Baliezer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 618

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
If the only thing on the t-shirt was the phrase "prepare to die" I would agree that this was not something to wear in the plane. But is wasn't the only thing in the t-shirt and the rest of the quote adds the context and would make it obvious that this wasn't some type of threat.
I have never seen the movie and have no idea who Inigo Montoya is? For all I know it is the guy wearing the shirt.

I see it as a threat.
__________________
Mama to four beautiful girls!
Baliezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.