Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #1531
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
NOOOOO! A co-worker that sits maybe 5 feet from me just called to say her doctor confirmed she has the flu We've Lysol'd her entire desk area!!! I got my flu shot a while ago, but according to a gazillion other people it doesn't seem to matter this year. I REALLY hope I don't get sick!
I totally have a vision of you in a hazmat suit doing chemical warfare on your co-workers work area !

glad I am having a cold now rather than right before the race. DH went out to do his 10 mi run and left me at home with my cough syrup...actually felt sad he could go out and I am...BENCHED ! on Sunday I can walk four miles if I feel better...baby steps I know.

Getting caught up on all the talk on when to taper off...running coach had me tapering off after what was suppose to be a "practice " half marathon this Sunday but....since the world's worse cold has sidelined me this week...we will redo my sched a little and my remaining long runs will be a 8, 9, 7 for the remaining 3 weeks. As a newbie first timer...his goal was to build me up gradually and not tax my body since it is now obvious my long runs are making me susceptible to germs and taking longer to recover. Those that have been running longer can probably handle longer runs closer to the race. My mid week runs will stay at 4-5 miles.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #1532
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Much better than last year. And actually faster. I trained using the walk/run and felt pretty good, the last 5k was the hardest. I took pix when I wanted, talked to some cast members and spectators and just had fun with it. And for 8 months after last year 's full I said I would never run a full again, but after this year..I would do it again, just not any time soon.
Thanks for asking.
Awesome! Glad it went better than expected- especially considering the conditions! Great job Joan!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #1533
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Lol it was 50F!!! All these people were wearing parkas this afternoon and I was loving it in my capris and light long sleeved shirt. It's all perspective. It's not toasty, but I'd rather be here than in 5F weather at home. The water fountains at the park even worked! They turn ours off around Columbus Day!

Cate
Yes - the weather has been bouncing up and down lately. The day I wrote that, the weather was sub-freezing with the wind chill. Within days, it was back up in the 50's. Today was nice; tomorrow is supposed to be a "wintry mix" and freezing again. Blech. But, yes, I would rather be in this than 5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
As much as I am sure you are disappointed to not do the phm... what better a reason to need to defer!!!

Have a happy healthy pregnancy!

That is a very frustrating situation! I hope it works out the way you want it to.

That is a fear of mine...getting exposed to something and then coming down with it RIGHT before the race. Stay healthy!!!!
Right there with ya - I am a preschool teacher of 2 year olds, kings of nosepicking and coughing in your face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanadar View Post
Hello all! My family and I have been big Disney fans for years, but this is me and my sisters first 1/2 and first rundisney race. We both started running last year and decided this would be our goal for several reasons, one being that our mother passed away on feb 24 10 years ago this year. What better way to remember her than in a place we all loved! We are super excited to be running in disney, since we have spent so much time there.
What a nice idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccats97 View Post
First timer questions....

What do you put in your bag at bag check? I use a spibelt and can carry my id, key to the world, chapstick, phone and gels. I'm just not sure if I should be bringing other things and leaving them at the bag check!

Do you carry a camera or just use your phone?

I carry a camera, only b/c if you zoom on my phone, the photo looks grainy.

Is Photopass available on the course?

Nope.
Do you bring a throw away layer?

I will this year! I was cold last year. This year am bringing some $5 sweatpants that will be easy to get off over my shoes.
Since the race starts at 5:35am what time can I expect to actually start guessing that I am in corral E?

What time do you get up on race morning?

3:00am, and it is painful

What time do you catch the bus?

Try to catch it by 3:30.Any input is greatly appreciated!
My shin did NOT appreciate the 9miler I did last weekend and was mad at me on Monday, so I have taken this week off and hope to do maybe 5 or 6 this weekend. Am trying to remember to ice a couple of times a day and stretch. Getting hurt within a month of the princess is NOT an option!

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 01-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #1534
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

30 days and its all over

30 days!! Anyone starting to freak?

Me a little. I have an 11 mile run planned for the weekend, but its gonig to be cold out.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #1535
uccats97
Mouseketeer

First timer questions

Thanks for all of the feedback. I never would have thought to bring a jacket for after the race, good idea! I'm not stressing over these things, I'm just a planner! I know Disney like the back of my hand but this is my first runDisney event so I'm feeling a little inexperienced.

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 01-24-2013, 02:28 PM   #1536
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post

Me a little. I have an 11 mile run planned for the weekend, but its gonig to be cold out.
Not freaking just freezing! I skipped my run Tuesday because it was negative temps with windchill and I'm not doing any treadmill training. I'm gonna suck it up tonight and try to stay warm with windchills in the teens.

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 01-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1537
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccats97 View Post
Not freaking just freezing! I skipped my run Tuesday because it was negative temps with windchill and I'm not doing any treadmill training. I'm gonna suck it up tonight and try to stay warm with windchills in the teens.
I can not do that many miles on the dreadmill.
Its either outside or an indoor hamster wheel.. um I mean track,.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:53 PM   #1538
tink2007
DIS Veteran

Did 11 miles today. Finished in 2:10. Not my best time but considering all the injures I've had of late, I will gladly take it.
I'm really getting pumped for this half!!
2005 - Wilderness Lodge
2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
2009 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2010 - All Star Movies
2011 - Marriott's Harbor Lake Resort
2012 - All Star Sports
2013 - Coronado Springs Resort
2013 - Marriott's Harbour Lake
2013 - All Star Sports
2013 - Disney Cruise - Dream
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #1539
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
THANK YOU! To everyone. I'm on the mobile device so can't quote you all but it means so much to me. I know you truly get what a hard choice that was for me. But it is a relief as well, because I was feeling some pressure. I cannot wait to be there cheering you all on!
you should hold a Princes Allegra sign so we know who you are and give you high fives (not sweaty hugs! ). Spectators will thing you have an odd name, but we know better
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #1540
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Thank goodness I realized today that my ME booklet is all messed up! It only has me listed instead of both me and the BF and it has me arriving on BF's flight, which is wrong! They tend to get really confused with that stuff when guests on the same reservation arrive on different flights... They've supposedly fixed it and are re-sending the paperwork...hopefully it'll be right. I'll be there in the AM, but I'd hate for my BF to arrive and have to deal with a mess there late at night when I'm sure all he wants to do is get to bed ASAP!

Had my post Tink massage last night...gah, that was nice! I'll be back to pounding the pavement on saturday AM, but still need to get with our trainer to get an idea of what my mileage should be up until race day. I'm getting so nervous about the weather...I really hope it's not too warm!

Anybody have any clever ideas for something for the back of my shirt that would be Belle/Beauty & the Beast related? I want to "say" something, but I can't think of anything this time

Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #1541
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

ME is killing me. For the full marathon and the princess they have been messed up. They have only listed me as a guest, and then I have to call and wait on hold until I talk to some one and get it straight. Waiting now and hoping the new set comes corrected.

Too cold here for me. I will do my 8 miles on the TM in the morning

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #1542
Barefoot Princess
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Metro boston princess here! This cold is a killer! Lucky for me I overheat when I run so I'm stripping off layers and tying them around my waist as I go. I must look so silly
I'm a transplanted Nutmegger...today I just looked at the weather forecast and said "Nope, not running outside!" If I can pound on nail with a banana, it's just too cold to run outside

"And though she be but little, she is fierce!" ~William Shakespeare~
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #1543
MizBrix
Earning My Ears

Just catching up in all the posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey
Anybody have any clever ideas for something for the back of my shirt that would be Belle/Beauty & the Beast related? I want to "say" something, but I can't think of anything this time
How about "Look like a BEAUTY, Run like a BEAST"! Lol!

Princessallegra - I know it's a tough decision, but you be back to running before you know it! Take care of you and your baby for now btw, I thought of you bc there's a lululemon warehouse sale next weekend at Nassau coliseum!

VickiHD - congrats on finishing the Tink! Way to let go and really get in the zone!

Kanadar - what a beautiful reason to run.

As for tapering, I usually begin to taper 2 weeks out from the race.

Now... Just anxiously awaiting my waiver! :twiddling thumbs:
Old 01-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #1544
bskelly07
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post

I'm stoked! I've never been to Orlando before, so it'll be an experience for me. I'm only worried about the humidity! I hope it's not too bad when we are there.

---------------------------------------

I've seen a couple posts (while trying to catch up on this board, I've been MIA) about the airport shuttle to Disney. Is it easier to have them just take your bags for you or is it smarter to wait for the carousel? I'm just nervous that it wouldn't get delivered to my room! And also is it easy to get from the terminal to the shuttle? That's my only fear is being all scatter brained and having minimal signage to help me find my way!

Tinker Bell was so much fun! It got me super pumped for Princess. I need to get started on my outfit! Best of luck continuing with your training, ladies!
Old 01-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #1545
M likes the mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
I'll be dressed as Belle also. I liked that one, but I have decided not to put any iron-ons on my tank.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/10265281...nsfer-perfect?
Dec 08 DL, Aug 09 POP , June 10 POP, Oct 10 Beach Club, Dec 10,CBR, May 11, DLP Sequoia Lodge, Aug 11 Dolphin, Dec 2011 DL offsite, March 12 CBR, June 12 AKL, Sept 12 Beach Club, Feb 13 POR, Aug 2013 DL Disneyland Hotel, Feb 14 POR
Me: DH Simba Mitten Chloe
Run Disney addiction:
Feb 14 GSC, Aug 13 DDD, Feb 13 PHM, Sept 12 TOT 10 miler
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: