Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
minnie4me
DIS Veteran

OT: Amelia Island

considering skipping the lines this year and heading somewhere other than Disney, I know crazy huh
Was looking for a bit more relaxing by pool, etc... (not that you can't do that at WDW).
Considering Atlantis, in Bahamas. But also looking to keep cost in check, so considering Amelia Island.
Couple of questions? What is the closest airport? Need to get there from Pittsburgh,PA. Or Latrobe, if Spirit flies anywhere close, but I don't think so.
Was looking into the Omni, I see it is almost done with some renovations. I want a resort, not a house or condo. When our family goes on vaca, I go too. Meaning no cooking, cleaning, etc...: It looks like they have several restaurants on site, a kids club (DS is 10), and a beach.
I think the natural surroundings, conservation, etc...would be a nice environment.
How is the ocean there? I doubt as crystal clear as Caribbean, but is it clean? Warm enough late June?

Any input is appreciated !!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:11 PM   #2
Northernlites
Mouseketeer

Amelia Island really doesn't have too much public beach, there really is not much to do there for more than 2 days, the old fort is interesting and I guess if you play golf you may find it interesting. This is mostly a local place with locals. Not much tourist, I think there is only one beach front hotel, also the wind off the ocean is very strong and we found it nearly impossible to be on the beach in May
Northernlites is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 PM   #3
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Jacksonville would be the most convenient airport. I stayed at the Residence Inn there for a couple of weeks while working in Jacksonville and returned later for a weekend. About a block from the beach. I found the beach very pleasant for walking and just relaxing on one of the provided benches. Good food in the area and an interesting downtown.

We drove up to Savannah one weekend day and enjoyed that very much as well.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #4
minnie4me
DIS Veteran

bump
Old 01-24-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

The ritz is nice and has a nice pool and beach area. Liked but didn't love the town. Sleepy beach town which is great if that is what you are looking for. Reminded me of the outer banks
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote