Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

World Showcase purchases??

Just got back from our first trip without kids and we were able to leisurely stroll thru the shops in World Showcase without hearing "I'm bored" or "Can we go now?" every two seconds.

Saw plenty of Helly Hansen clothing, Prada and Bulgari perfumes/colognes, soaps, etc being sold at full retail and wondered how many of you actually pruchase them? I know most items can be found cheaper online or even at my local Macy's/Belks/etc on sale.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:07 AM   #2
hoosll
DIS Veteran

My husband discovered Helly Hanson at Epcot. He has bought a couple of things there and then later online. I think for some people it can be a first exposure. I bought a Steiff teddy bear for my first grandchild because I appreciated being able to see a selection and pick the exact size, color, texture I wanted. Yes, it was expensive but I'll never forget buying it there.
WL - Feb '02; WL - Sep '03 Big Willie's B-day
WL- Dec '04 MY B-day
WL - Nov '06 - Big Willie retires
BWV - Nov '07 Midweek long weekend
WL - Apr '12 Me, DD, and DGS4, DGS2 -their 1st trip!
FW - Dec '12 First time in RV; Feb '13 Midwinter escape
WL - Feb '15 (may cancel due to FP+)
hoosll is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 07:13 AM   #3
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

My husband bought one of those family history things in england. Yeah its pretty. But it was $200 and dd12 was yelling at him the whole time he could get that online lol.
Its pretty on the wall tho lol.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
CDolacki2003
DIS Veteran

We have purchased a few items, and although we know it costs more it is a great reminder of our trip to Disney. In October I hope to finally buy the perfume in Norway that I say I am going to get everytime we go, LOL
Oct 2014- 1 day in EPCOT
Dec 2016- planning CSR (if all goes well)
CDolacki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #5
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

People get swept up in being at Disney. I almost bought a Steiff Fuzzy Bear in the German area, but I did a quick check with my iphone and I saw it online for selling for half elsewhere. It's called "Showcasing" and it's putting poor Best Buy out of business..
davedmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #6
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosll View Post
My husband discovered Helly Hanson at Epcot. He has bought a couple of things there and then later online.
Yep - I have some HH gear but paid much less for it then what I saw at Epcot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDolacki2003 View Post
We have purchased a few items, and although we know it costs more it is a great reminder of our trip to Disney. In October I hope to finally buy the perfume in Norway that I say I am going to get everytime we go, LOL
My wife really liked the Laila perfume we smelled in Norway and checked prices online with my Droid - didn't really find it cheaper elsewhere but she doesn't like spending that much for perfume, lol!

Last edited by Herfnerd; 01-24-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Herfnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
seelyt2
DIS Veteran

I was very lucky to grab a Helly Hansen shirt on sale last year . I generally don't go for the stuff that I know I can find outside of the parks, though, and I've never been one to get high-end designer labels either, seeing how I can't justify spending $300-$400 on a HH sweater or thousands on a Prada purse. Last year I got a suede Owen Barry purse and Buckingham Palace Royal Hyacinth hand cream from the UK pavilion, and a gorgeous glass beaded necklace from Italy's Il Bel Cristallo (the designer name escapes me). I haven't been able to find these things in the States. Well, I could get the hand cream if I really wanted. For me it's finding something I just fall in love with that I can afford (with cash) without feeling guilty about it. Can't wait to go back to see what other goodies I can get!

seelyt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #8
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

My DFIL bought himself a cuckoo clock in the Germany Pavilion one year because he got to actually see it before buying it, plus there was a large selection of them to choose from. He really takes great pride in it, even though it cost him almost an arm and a leg for it. He also liked the fact that even though he bought it in Epcot, he knows that it truly came from Germany and was sold by German ambassadors rather on line like his other cuckoo clock that he has...he makes sure that everyone knows that when he is showing it off at his house.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Call me old fashioned (I'm a millenial) but I like buying things in person from a person. Buying stuff online is what kills stores in my hometown and being able to see interesting souvenirs at Disney. I have bought two perfumes in France. I feel it would be rude if I stood there smelling and trying everything at the store and then bought online, but that's just me. I've bought one zip-up hoodie from Helly Hansen. I've bought the Venetian masks (to go with my actual mask from Venice). I buy tea from the Twinings store every trip.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: