Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM   #1
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

Great spot for adults in San Juan

If you are adults travelling without kids and prefer to venture out on your own rather than book excursions, here is a suggestion for Old San Juan. We got a general idea of the Old San Juan area by visiting Yelp.com and I also got their iPhone app. We were looking for some good pictures, local food and drinks and we found them!

We wandered off the ship and were impressed by the charming architecture and narrow cobblestone streets with friendly locals who stopped their cars and waved us across. We made our way toward a spot I found on Yelp which was across the street from a beautiful hotel named El Convento, an old convent. This is a very nice ($$$) place to go for lunch or tapas. We might like to stay there some day.

We kept walking down a side street and found ourselves near one of the forts-- Castillo San Felipe del Morro. We hadn't intended to go there but were glad we did. Beautiful scenery and views of the waves crashing on the beaches below. We took lots of pictures.

It was getting close to lunchtime and we were looking for a cold beer. We heard some great classic rock music coming from a bar named Nono's at the corner of Cristo and San Sebastian. This is our kind of place. Cold local beer and every kind of liquor you could possibly imagine. It is one of 3 restaurants under the same ownership. We had lunch there and highly recommend the house specialty: Mofongo Relleno. I got mine with shrimp and my wife had hers with red snapper. This is a classic Puerto Rican dish made from mashed plantains. Awesome! And the locals hanging out there made for some excellent atmosphere. We saw tour groups walking by with several people wishing they could bail and join us.

After lunch, we walked toward the ship all the way down Cristo as far as we could and ran into some of our table mates. We took pictures in some of the scenic streets, and made our way back to the ship. Not a bad walk at all as long as you don't have any mobility issues. Lots of fun and highly recommended for those who like a good walk, dive bars and great music.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
Douvres Family
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up

This is awesome...thank you!!!

WDW 1976, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1996, 1999...Puerto Rico 2000...WDW 2001, 2002...DCL Wonder 2003...Mayan Riviera MX 2007 & 2008...WDW 2009, 2010, DCL Dream 2012, DCL Dream 2013, Mayan Riviera 2013
Douvres Family is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: