Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #16
emtmom0104
DIS Veteran

My duster just turned 12 a few weeks ago...last year we bought a set of walkie talkies for her, nothing over the top expensive, the set of two was like $70. We gave her the freedom to sign herself out of the clubs and pretty much do whatever she wanted except leave the ship. She did have to call us and make sure that she had heard our voices before moving anywhere on the ship. I didn't trust her with the wave phone, it's $250 to replace 1! I would rather her lose something that cost me less than half that belongs to me. When we went to Nassau we gave her the option to get of for stay on. She chose to stay on. I let her know when I could no longer hear her and let her know I would call her when we got back to the boat. She had no charging privileges but did have her KTTW card so she could go to the room. We had no issues. You know your child best, I was very hesitant to let her go but DH said I had to. I figured it was a good start since she couldn't get off and she had to be on the ship somewhere not off 10 miles away. Hope this helps!

Disney Dream 5-19-2011 -3 night Bahamas,Disney Magic 4-25-2012 & 4-30-2012 -4&5 night Bahamas,Disney Wonder 2-7-13 & 2-11-13 -4 night Bahamas & 5 night western Caribbean ,Disney Fantasy 2-22-14 -7 night eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic 4-19-15 - 7 night western Caribbean
emtmom0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
princesspiglet
DIS Veteran

I WISH I had this problem! LOL

My DD10 is an only child and chooses to be with us at all times. On our last cruise I offered to let her have some freedom and go to the lab, get herself some snacks, etc, but she didn't want to. She did not want to leave our side! She kept saying, "this is a family vacation and I want to be with my family". I was begging her to try out the kids club just so I could have a few minutes by myself to read a book!

She has decided that this cruise she will try out the lab for a few hours a day, but the majority of the time she will be with us. I am looking forward to those few hours!!
princesspiglet is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #18
BrennaM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspiglet View Post
I WISH I had this problem! LOL

My DD10 is an only child and chooses to be with us at all times. On our last cruise I offered to let her have some freedom and go to the lab, get herself some snacks, etc, but she didn't want to. She did not want to leave our side! She kept saying, "this is a family vacation and I want to be with my family". I was begging her to try out the kids club just so I could have a few minutes by myself to read a book!

She has decided that this cruise she will try out the lab for a few hours a day, but the majority of the time she will be with us. I am looking forward to those few hours!!

My kids are just like yours! I gave them total freedom last march when they were 14 and 13 years old, following many rules of course...but do you think they wanted to go off on their own? Nooooo We love hanging out with you Mom and Dad! hehehe not that I am complaining. I'm going to enjoy all the time they want to hang out with us, cause I know it won't last.

They did make the odd trip up to the top deck to get food, or to go down to their aunt and uncle's cabin during the summer for our Alaskan cruise. I suspect this July they will venture out even more on their own.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
~Walt Disney

2004 - Port Orleans - French Quarter | 2005 - Beach Club Resort | 2008 - Grand Gathering @ Animal Kingdom Villas | 2010 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | 2012 - Disney Land & Sea - Animal Kingdom Villas & 5 day Bahama Cruise | 2012 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Alaskan Cruise | 2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Summer 2014 - Adventures By Disney - Ireland | Winter 2014 - Family New Years @ Animal Kingdom Villas | Summer 2015 - Disney Cruise - 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise
BrennaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
Magic3forme
Grand Slam club members

with the wave phones its makes it easier to communicate with our kids.

our son at age 9 last year had check out priviledges... he had to text us and let us know he was leaving the club and where we was headed next. he would just go get ice cream, then come find us. we did not give him spending on his card.

our dd 12 met a bunch of kids on the ship and they were together all the time. she did have charging priviledges.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:39 AM   #20
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

I have no problem with trusting DS (13) as far as behaviour and following rules are concerned, I do, however, worry about his handling of a wave phone. I am terrified he will leave it somewhere, or lose it and we will be stuck with the charge!!!! He is likely to be so engrossed in an activity at Edge or somewhere, put it down and forget to pick it up. I realise he could attach it to himself with a lanyard or a clip, but it is easy to detach it, say, in the bathroom, and forget it.
I understand there are phones everywhere (in the hallways, kid's clubs etc.), you can use to call wave phones. Are they abundant? Could he use these to keep us updated with his whereabouts and his plans?
What have other parents done?

tinkerbell 766 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #21
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbell 766 View Post
I have no problem with trusting DS (13) as far as behaviour and following rules are concerned, I do, however, worry about his handling of a wave phone. I am terrified he will leave it somewhere, or lose it and we will be stuck with the charge!!!! He is likely to be so engrossed in an activity at Edge or somewhere, put it down and forget to pick it up. I realise he could attach it to himself with a lanyard or a clip, but it is easy to detach it, say, in the bathroom, and forget it.
I understand there are phones everywhere (in the hallways, kid's clubs etc.), you can use to call wave phones. Are they abundant? Could he use these to keep us updated with his whereabouts and his plans?
What have other parents done?
My daughter, 10yo at the time, was fully aware of the cost of the phone so she was extremely careful to keep it on her at all times. But that's also her nature to a certain extent. Would your son be opposed to a fanny pack? Yes, they're lame, but they'd be perfect for keeping the phone in.

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #22
mstee777
Mouseketeer

My son will be 13 next week. We cruised in December and we pretty much gave him fee run of the ship. Of course we were with a large group of family so he was not alone at any time.

Our rules were don't miss dinner, keep you wave phone on you at all times, only go in rooms belonging to our group, no disruptive behavior.

My son is very responsible and this worked well for us.
mstee777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
Disneyof3
Mother of my 3 angels, heaven blessed me!!!!!
So it was me who had to take the plunge

My kids last year on our 1st cruise were DS10,DD12,DSO15. My youngest was in the oceaneers club and had no signing priviledges at all. He loved the clubs and was in it everynight after dinner. My other two didn't like there clubs and mostly hung out with us. If they went on there own, it had to be together never alone. When youngest son was not in the clubs, he was always with his DS or DSO or with us. This March DS will be in the older club and he can't wait. He will be given strict orders not to leave the club unless he informs us(or comes to us). Phones aren't to be touched or removed from the rooms(I refuse to pay the price of the phones if they go missing, heard about this on the disboard wiether this is my kids fault or not. This is our once a year family vacation and we all feel it is nice to hang out together with no hockey/dance/work interupting us. This will likely be our last vacation together since DSO graduates next year and the money will be going to him and college/university But again as the above threads have mentioned, you know your teen and you have a better judge of them then us
WDW12/13
Disneyof3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: