Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #31
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

I was 21 and DH was 22 when we got married. We'll be married 27 years in a few weeks.

On the other hand, my brother married a girl that was 20yo. She was married and divorced with 2 children by the time she was 15yo. Needless to say, their marriage didn't last too long either.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM   #32
LisaR

I wouldn't define 24 as really young.

DD (17) has a friend who was married at 18 and pregnant six months later. They seem very much in love and it is working for them, but it totally skeeves my DD out. She posts pictures of her belly and my DD can't even wrap her head around the concept of being married and pregnant at that age.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I think this depends on what generation you are and what region you're from. Almost no one in my HS graduating class were married until they were at least 25, and most of my friends still considered THAT young, whereas my father's generation would have considered it a bit old.

I was kind of shocked when I moved to FL...many of the 'natives' in my area were married at 19 or 20, WHILE in college or before starting college, and the general consensus down here seems to be if you're not married and/or having kids by age 25, it's never going to happen. One of my coworkers got pregnant with her second child at age 37 and it was a huge scandal. No one here could fathom having a baby at such an advanced age.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM   #34
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
I was 21 and DH was 22 when we got married. We'll be married 27 years in a few weeks.

On the other hand, my brother married a girl that was 20yo. She was married and divorced with 2 children by the time she was 15yo. Needless to say, their marriage didn't last too long either.
Yikes! Can 15 year olds even legally get married?
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #35
jgh
Peter Pan!

My fiance and are getting married in April 2014.

We will both be 22 (me only by one week, and him by about seven months).

Honestly I think it depends on the couple. There are some people that are mature enough to be married at 16 or 17 (regardless of negative stigma attached to getting married that young...) and there are some people that aren't mature enough to be married even when they're 25 or 30. I really think it depends on the individual people.

jgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #36
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

DH was 22, & I was 21 when we got married. We got married in April, & DH had turned 22 in January. I turned 22 in July, so, basically, we got married halfway between our 22nd birthdays.

This April will be our 18th anniversary.

At the time, I didn't consider us young, but, in looking back, we were young!

I guess I consider anything under 21 really young to get married, & I consider mid 20s about average.

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 4 years)
Wendy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #37
skuttle
Counting the days until our next trip!

I was 21 and DH was 24. We started dating in high school so we had been together a while. Now, when I think back, I think I was so young and wouldn't want my kids marrying that young, even though we've been happily married for almost 13 years.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #38
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Yikes! Can 15 year olds even legally get married?
Apparently in Arkansas they could. She was married at 14 and divorced by 15. When my brother moved there, he said that everyone assumed he was gay because he wasn't married yet. He was 19yo! Much different from the suburbs where he grew up.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:49 AM   #39
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daughtersrus View Post
Apparently in Arkansas they could. She was married at 14 and divorced by 15. When my brother moved there, he said that everyone assumed he was gay because he wasn't married yet. He was 19yo! Much different from the suburbs where he grew up.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #40
PeeWee70
Disney Lover since Birth

I was 20 and my husband was 21. And we lived together for two years before that. 24 years together this year Yes, I think that is young and I wouldn't recommend it for my girls. My husband and I grew up in dysfunctional families and we both left at 17/18. We had to grow up fast.
I would like to see my girls experience life and finish college before they settle down.
It's funny too because I always felt I was never going to get married because all my girlfriends in high school had long-term boyfriends and I didn't. I was the first to get married and still am after they have been through even a couple marriages.
When you get married young, I feel you really are growing up and changing together and need to have a lot of tolerance and commitment.
PeeWee70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #41
Piglet4Ever
Navy Wife, toughest job in the Navy!!!!!!

I was 24 and DH was 28 when we got married, I thought I was old!! We are going on 17 yrs. I would classify 18-20 as being pretty young to get married.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:56 AM   #42
lovesmurfs
I need to start thinking of pithy things to say
It costs him money every time I watch!

DH was "on the shelf" at 33 when we married, but I was 22. Going on 23 years this year!

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." Mark Twain

"Some people are like Slinkies. They serve no useful purpose, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs."
lovesmurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:03 AM   #43
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
So today at work while talking to a coworker it came up in conversation on how I have been married for 11+ years. At which point she remarked OMG you must of got married young. I replied that my wife and I were 24 when we got married and she confirmed that we were definitely young at that age.
I would take that more as a statement of how she thought you looked young, as in, hard to believe you've been married for 11 years when you look like you're in your twenties. Do you look young?

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #44
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Honestly it partially depends on when the marriage occured.

I was married at 22 4 years ago. Which I feel was young mostly just because I only know a handful of others that were married that young. I also wasn't out of college yet, I graduated 6 months later.

However anything past 20 doesn't seem young when I look at when those who are now 40 or over got married.

I think its because when high school was enough to get a good job marrying after high school was normal. Now that so many are getting at least a 4 year degree most are waiting until after they gradate to plan the wedding resulting in 24+ for most people.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:06 AM   #45
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I would take that more as a statement of how she thought you looked young, as in, hard to believe you've been married for 11 years when you look like you're in your twenties. Do you look young?
My husband gets this one alot. He was 24 when we married, but when he meets new people at work and says he has been married for 4 years most don't believe him at first... because he looks like he MAY be able to pass for 22.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: