Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Getting Married Young?

So today at work while talking to a coworker it came up in conversation on how I have been married for 11+ years. At which point she remarked OMG you must of got married young. I replied that my wife and I were 24 when we got married and she confirmed that we were definitely young at that age.

Just wondering if people think this is young to get married? My thought is young would be getting married between 18-20 and the average to me 20-30.

Now don't get me wrong you get married when you are ready and there is no wrong or right at any age as long it is a legal age.
joedplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Yeah, I tend to think as getting married young as meaning as teenagers or very early 20s.

DH and I were both 23. We had both finished college at that point. I never thought of that s particularly young to get married.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't consider 24 to be "married young", but I guess it's all a matter of perspective for folks.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedplumber View Post
So today at work while talking to a coworker it came up in conversation on how I have been married for 11+ years. At which point she remarked OMG you must of got married young. I replied that my wife and I were 24 when we got married and she confirmed that we were definitely young at that age.

Just wondering if people think this is young to get married? My thought is young would be getting married between 18-20 and the average to me 20-30.

Now don't get me wrong you get married when you are ready and there is no wrong or right at any age as long it is a legal age.
I was 19 when I got married. I consider that young. This July will be our 30th wedding anniversary.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:37 AM   #5
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

I as 19 and dh was 20, coming up on 27 years.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #6
lizabu
DIS Veteran

I don't think 24 is married young. I think it's average. I was married at 19 (the first time). That was young.
lizabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

I don't consider 23/24 as 'young' for getting married. At that age one could have finished college, have a full time job in their field, and be self supporting.

I was 2 months shy of 24 when DH and I got married. I didn't consider myself 'young'.

My nephew got married at 17. Now that's young.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #8
mombrontrent
DIS Veteran

I started dating DH right after I turned 17, he was 22. When we got married I was 21 and he was 26. I was pregnant with our second child Still together and about to celebrate our 11th anniversary. Wouldn't want my kids to get married that young but it's worked out for us.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #9
LovetheMouse12302
Mouseketeer

I was 18 and DH was 21. We were very young! We caught a lot of heat for being young but I'm so glad we did it anyways. We have lost a lot of loved ones (my dad included) that wouldn't of been there had we waited.
Saratoga Springs- May 2010
Coronado Springs- February 2011
Kidani Village- February 2011, September 2011
Grand Floridian- September 2011
Boardwalk Villas- September 2011
Polynesian- May 2013
Pop Century- May 2013
LovetheMouse12302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
joedplumber
Love Vacationing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Minnie View Post
I don't consider 23/24 as 'young' for getting married. At that age one could have finished college, have a full time job in their field, and be self supporting.

I was 2 months shy of 24 when DH and I got married. I didn't consider myself 'young'.

My nephew got married at 17. Now that's young.
Spot on!

I and my DW were both a year out of college and working in our field of major and both living at home before we got married.

I guess you could call us the "Ducks in a Row" type. lol
joedplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

I got married 3 weeks after my 24th birthday. My husband was 26. He had his masters and I had my bachelors. We were some of the first among our college friends to get married. Contrast that to this summer when I was in my hometown visiting some old friends. I was talking with a guy friend whom I have known my entire life. He made the comment that it was so nice that I met my husband "so much later in life" because I got to enjoy my teens and early twenties without being tied down (he married at 20 and has now been divorced for a year). Many of my high school friends who stayed in my hometown and either went to the university there or didn't go to college were married by 21.

I think that it completely depends on the culture of your area. I have heard that people in the south marry much younger than up north, but it is also more common for people up north to live together prior to marriage. Around my college friends, I married rather young. Around my high school friends, I was much older - an idea that actually makes me laugh. I've been married 5 years and still don't feel old.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #12
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I would consider getting married before you are in your late twenties to be 'young'. That's not to say the marriage is doomed to failure. I was 22 when I got married and we just celebrated our 28th anniversary. Still, I hope that my girls will wait until they are older to marry.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
shoney
DIS Veteran

I got married at 20, dh was 24. Young! I was still in college and even bought my first house while in college. We were dating for 7 years and felt it was time.

That was 20 years ago.

I would think anything under 27 or so to be young.

I know my niece is 25 and says she won't even consider it until she is into her 30's. She does live with her boyfriend and is very career oriented to consider children at this point.

The last 2 "first" weddings I have been to, were 2 different cousins and both were in their early 30's.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

I was married at 24 (barely 24). I do not consider it "young" because I'd graduated from college and was self-supporting, etc.

I think I would consider "young" to be getting married before graduating college, or becoming established in whatever career/trade you choose...
Old 01-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #15
fitzy819
Mouseketeer

I was 19 and DH was 21 when we got married. I felt we were married very young but it worked for us. We are having our 4th anniversary in March though, yay!
fitzy819 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: