Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
calismic
Mouseketeer

Recent Cruisers without Passport

Due to a situation beyond my control, I am unable to obtain my passport in time for my cruise March 14th. I have been assured by Disney that I will be able to board with an original state issued birth certificate and a drivers license. However, I keep seeing all these mentions of "Enhanced Drivers License." The state of PA does not issue these, is a standard drivers license sufficient? I keep having nightmares of being denied boarding. Help ease my mind please. Thanks =)

calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
maggs1035
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic
Due to a situation beyond my control, I am unable to obtain my passport in time for my cruise March 14th. I have been assured by Disney that I will be able to board with an original state issued birth certificate and a drivers license. However, I keep seeing all these mentions of "Enhanced Drivers License." The state of PA does not issue these, is a standard drivers license sufficient? I keep having nightmares of being denied boarding. Help ease my mind please. Thanks =)
Yes a regular drivers license works fine! I live in New York and have an enhanced drivers license but I am still bringing my birth certificate. Enhanced licenses are given to people who live in states that border another country, in our case it's Canada.
maggs1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #3
Dave Dizney
Super-Duper organized Ultimate Disney Fan!
And Travel Channel Television Star!
Possibly a hitchhiking ghost...

We used our old birth certificates with the raised seal (check your state for what is an "official" seal) and the non-enhanced state drivers licenses (MO) three weeks ago and they worked fine. I spent many days fearing this decision, but it worked perfectly.
Dave Dizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
anniemck
DIS Veteran

travel.state.gov with a closed loop cruise original birth certificate and photo id is acceptable. 17 cruises under my belt, no passport here. Getting one this year only because there is a possibility of a one way cruise in my future. Depending on where you are, there are 17 passport offices around the country that will issue passport same day. I believe one is in Philly.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
LoveDisneyx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by calismic View Post
We just applied for our passports this past Saturday (19 January) at the local post office and asked about getting it expedited and they said that there was no need to do so. We are only cruising one week before you on 9 March--you still have time to get a passport if you want to get one--especially if you want to do the expedited service (and extra fee of about $50/passport I think). But as long as you don't have a medical emergency or miss your ship--you're probably fine with just the birth certificate and driver's license.
LoveDisneyx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #6
Max02215
Earning My Ears

You'll be fine. Just off the Wonder yesterday. Out of 14 of us, only 4 had passports. The rest of the adults used a license (non enhanced) and a birth certificate with a raised seal. No worries
Max02215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
FrogMBA
Mouseketeer

You will be fine, it is a closed loop cruise. Disney knows what they are doing.
However if you still have fear I ordered my passport on Oct 31 and It arrived on November 16th. So they are not taking as long as the website or others are scaring you with

Enjoy your cruise and relax.
FrogMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #8
disneyfanatic83
Earning My Ears

What kind of identification is required for kids? Just a birth certificate? My kids will be 3 and 1 if that makes a difference.
disneyfanatic83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
fluffsmom
Earning My Ears

We purchased card passports for myself and the kids. However, they didn't need them. But...., one lady that I spoke to while doing laundry was denied a snorkeling trip because it was on a different island.
fluffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
macfinn
Chief Vacation Planner and Dis Dad's Club Member #58

no worries

Dw and I cruised last year on rccl with raised seal birth certs and regular drivers lisc---got on board ship and got thru customs with out issue at end of cruise....this was not our first cruise travelling this way....don't sweat it!

macfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #11
calismic
Mouseketeer

I was wondering where this post went! Sorry it was posted in trip reports, no idea how that happened! An update though, we found out that the state is returning Passports in 2 weeks for normal applications so I'm good to go! Thanks for all the responses though. =)
calismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:25 PM   #12
TheGroffs
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if a govt ID will work in the place of a DL with a birth certificate?
TheGroffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGroffs View Post
Does anyone know if a govt ID will work in the place of a DL with a birth certificate?
The ID is supposed to have an expiration date on it, and most government ID's issued to workers do not. HOWEVER, I've used mine at TSA just because it was hanging around my neck and easier to pull out than my license and the TSA worker didn't care (shocker, right?). Mine just has my photo, name and agency on it, no other info.

So the answer is it shouldn't work, but it might.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
JackieO
Mouseketeer

We are just off the Magic 6 nights to the Grand Cayman and Cozumel. There were 6 of us, 4 adults 2 kids (17 and 8) I was the only one with a passport (I had gotten it for a trip a couple of years ago) There was NO difference in our boarding or at customs coming back. They all had their birth certificates with the raised seal and the adults had their drivers licenses (normal license). Don't worry, everything will be fine. The only possible problem could arise if you had a need to fly back into the US for some reason. You can not fly in without a passport. You can come by ship, walk, or drive in with a birth certificate. We knew that risk and decided to cross that bridge if we came to it as it was highly unlikely! Enjoy your cruise (we did!!!!!!!!!!!)
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
LoveDisneyx4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveDisneyx4

We just applied for our passports this past Saturday (19 January) at the local post office and asked about getting it expedited and they said that there was no need to do so. We are only cruising one week before you on 9 March--you still have time to get a passport if you want to get one--especially if you want to do the expedited service (and extra fee of about $50/passport I think). But as long as you don't have a medical emergency or miss your ship--you're probably fine with just the birth certificate and driver's license.
We received our passports yesterday (Feb 2nd)--just 2 weeks from when we applied! Now I'll be waiting to see when we receive our birth certificates back--haven't yet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: