Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #1516
kanadar
Mouseketeer

Hello all! My family and I have been big Disney fans for years, but this is me and my sisters first 1/2 and first rundisney race. We both started running last year and decided this would be our goal for several reasons, one being that our mother passed away on feb 24 10 years ago this year. What better way to remember her than in a place we all loved! We are super excited to be running in disney, since we have spent so much time there.

Last edited by kanadar; 01-23-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #1517
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Sounds like a great way to celebrate your mom, Kanadar! Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #1518
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
NOOOOO! A co-worker that sits maybe 5 feet from me just called to say her doctor confirmed she has the flu We've Lysol'd her entire desk area!!! I got my flu shot a while ago, but according to a gazillion other people it doesn't seem to matter this year. I REALLY hope I don't get sick!
I hear ya... I have a compromised immune system AND I'm allergic enough to something in flu vaccines that my Dr. has said no more. I sent a very nice email to my entire office explaining this and asking them to kindly steer clear of my office if they even think they might be ill. Over the past 3 weeks, half of our staff has gone down with the flu. AAAAAAACCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uccats97 View Post
If it is meant to be it will happen...after I come home from my first Princess and first half marathon!
This, exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Any thoughts? That will mean that my final big run will be on 2/12. That should work, right? Is it too much too close to the race? Or just right? Then just keep my runs to less than 5 miles until the phm? Or should I do one long run some where around the 19th?
I really think it comes down to knowing your body and what it can handle/what makes it strong. There are folks who can put a whole lot of mileage in right before a race and be just fine, but others who need to drastically reduce distance in preparation for race day. I'm going by what's worked (and what hasn't) in training and how my body feels on any given week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's something oddly interesting regarding running shoes...

I gave my new Brooks Ghost 5's a short run yesterday - on my gawdawful treadmill, no less - and once I got used to having so much more shoe under me (I've been using the more minimalist Pure Project line since summer), I was significantly faster than I've been in a long time! Same amount of effort and exertion, but I'm covering more distance, it seems. I don't get it! The Ghost's sole is taller and longer than the PureFlow's - could it be that they actually lengthen my stride?! Bizarre.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #1519
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tapering... so when do we start? With just a bit more than 4 weeks till the race, I am afraid that if I finish my training program I will cut it too close. (I have 21 days left of training. (3 weeks)

Starting tomorrow this is how it looks for me..

Day 1 of each week is a 30 minute run (so about 3 miles)
Day 2 is a rest day
Day 3 is a 50 minute run (about 5 miles)
Day 4 is a 30 (about 3 miles)
Day 5 is a rest day
Day 6 is a 108 (about 10.5 miles)
Day 7 is a walk day

the next week is

30 (3mi)
rest
56 (probably will just do 6 miles because it will be close)
rest
108 (10.5mi)
Walk

Then the final week is
30 (3)
rest
108 (10.5)
rest
rest
126 (12.5)
walk

Any thoughts? That will mean that my final big run will be on 2/12. That should work, right? Is it too much too close to the race? Or just right? Then just keep my runs to less than 5 miles until the phm? Or should I do one long run some where around the 19th?

I am sorry to go on and on... I just want to be well prepared for the race...without killing myself.
First, I am not an expert, just a rec. runner.
I do see that you run three days a week like me and have similar pace. I just came oft the full, so I have a great base.

This is my plan:
Tomorrow 8 miles LR (20 sec over half pace), then following weeks LR: 2/1 10 miles; 2/8 12 miles; 2/15 8 miles.
On Mondays speed drills 6ish miles and Wednesday Mid tempos 6ish miles.
After 2/15, two easy runs on 2/18 & 20 3-4 miles.

I'm a bit confused on your weeks...but I wouldn't be running anything really long after 2/15. And runs after that should be easy so your body can recover and repair.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #1520
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
NOOOOO! A co-worker that sits maybe 5 feet from me just called to say her doctor confirmed she has the flu We've Lysol'd her entire desk area!!! I got my flu shot a while ago, but according to a gazillion other people it doesn't seem to matter this year. I REALLY hope I don't get sick!
Ack! Hope you don't get sick! This is a huge fear of mine, catching something before the race. I'm on so many immune boosting vitamins and herbs it's not even funny, trying to keep myself healthy. *Knocking on wood* So far so good. My kids have been through a tummy bug and strep throat in the past month and I didn't get any of it.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM   #1521
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tapering... so when do we start? With just a bit more than 4 weeks till the race, I am afraid that if I finish my training program I will cut it too close. (I have 21 days left of training. (3 weeks)

Starting tomorrow this is how it looks for me..

Day 1 of each week is a 30 minute run (so about 3 miles)
Day 2 is a rest day
Day 3 is a 50 minute run (about 5 miles)
Day 4 is a 30 (about 3 miles)
Day 5 is a rest day
Day 6 is a 108 (about 10.5 miles)
Day 7 is a walk day

the next week is

30 (3mi)
rest
56 (probably will just do 6 miles because it will be close)
rest
108 (10.5mi)
Walk

Then the final week is
30 (3)
rest
108 (10.5)
rest
rest
126 (12.5)
walk

I am sorry to go on and on... I just want to be well prepared for the race...without killing myself.
I run three days a week. Because of a previous injury my PT suggests that I don't run two days in a row. So my PT helped me find a training program and my next few weeks look like this. I'm not adding in the rest days because I run on the same days every week.

This week:

Week of the 28th:

Week of the 4th:

Week of the 11th:

Week of the race:
3,3, HALF!! It says walk 2 miles on one of the rest days but I'll be at WDW so I'm sure I'll end up walking at least 2 miles!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1522
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyaDelMar View Post
I'm glad to hear that you're being positive and hope it all works out for you. I thought it was so funny that you posted this because it's actually my greatest fear right now. I'm applying for what could be my dream job and have been daydreaming of what an awesome/awful situation would occur should things work out.

At the end of the day, I'm a big believer in life working itself out for the best and the need for individuals to enjoy and prioritize their life goals even if it means work sometimes comes second. The Princess is a life goal for me and I can't wait to tackle it with so many other great ladies (and men!).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
What is so crazy it that I did not think for one second that they might actually say no. At least you've thought of that possibility in advance. I hope your work dreams come true along with your runDisney dreams!

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 01-24-2013, 10:35 AM   #1523
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Hey does anyone know where people pick up stuff for the platinum Chear package? My friend was curious an can't find it online anywhere. We were joking about how useful the blanket would be now in 9 degrees boston instead of warm sunny Florida!
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #1524
uccats97
Mouseketeer

First timer questions....

What do you put in your bag at bag check? I use a spibelt and can carry my id, key to the world, chapstick, phone and gels. I'm just not sure if I should be bringing other things and leaving them at the bag check!

Do you carry a camera or just use your phone?

Is Photopass available on the course?

Do you bring a throw away layer?

Since the race starts at 5:35am what time can I expect to actually start guessing that I am in corral E?

What time do you get up on race morning?

What time do you catch the bus?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Me DH DS(18) DD(11) DD(9) DD(6)
1979-2000 Too many WDW day trips to count!
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
Old 01-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #1525
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellanotte10 View Post
Hey does anyone know where people pick up stuff for the platinum Chear package? My friend was curious an can't find it online anywhere. We were joking about how useful the blanket would be now in 9 degrees boston instead of warm sunny Florida!
They will need to pick eveything up at packet pick up...usually same area as the runner's go to get their bibs, just look for the booth that says "Chear Squad"

Quote:

What do you put in your bag at bag check? I use a spibelt and can carry my id, key to the world, chapstick, phone and gels. I'm just not sure if I should be bringing other things and leaving them at the bag check!

Since the race starts at 5:35am what time can I expect to actually start guessing that I am in corral E?

In the gear check bag, I normally leave some cleansing wipes to freshen up a bit afterwards...I hate the feeling of dried sweat/salt on my skin! I normally will leave my phone in there too since I don't run with it, and maybe a jacket if it will be chilly after the race.

If we're running to take pics, we take a small digital camera rather than phone.

The times that I've run Disney races for pics, I have not seen any photo pass photogs on the course. I have read that people have seen them in the past...whether or not it was photo pass or course photogs with another company I cannot say for sure though.

I do bring something the toss if it's going to be cold...like a hoodie or fluffy warm robe.

They normally let corrals go 5 minutes apart...so if you are in E, you may not start until after 6am.

I get up at least 1.5 hours before the busses start. I do better with easing into the morning than rushing. I like to have time to dress, stretch, eat and "take care of business" in the room...then eat a last minute snack in the staging area and do a last minute potty run before the corrals.

I like to be out there for a bus right around the time they are supposed to start running...again with the "I don't like to be rushed" thing. I'm perfectly happy being early and waiting around at the start area rather than waiting too long and being worried about being late. They've got ALOT of princesses to move around...bus lines get long and there aren't any fast passes

Old 01-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #1526
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Don't check a bag. Love my SPI belt for KTW(no ID, fill out back of bib), honey stinger (food)

Carry a camera, not a phone

not photpass but another comapney..make sure to wear your bib on front as that is used to ID you in photos

bring a cheap ($3) blanket I buy at Garden Ridge

corrals go off about every 6 min. there will probably be more info in this when waiver some out

3 to 3:15 as I like to be out for the bus by 3:30. I lay out all my clothes and food the night before.

oops, just answered on last question

Most important, relax and have fun

Old 01-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #1527
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

Awesome thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #1528
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Most important, relax and have fun
How was your Full Joan???

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #1529
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
How was your Full Joan???
Much better than last year. And actually faster. I trained using the walk/run and felt pretty good, the last 5k was the hardest. I took pix when I wanted, talked to some cast members and spectators and just had fun with it. And for 8 months after last year 's full I said I would never run a full again, but after this year..I would do it again, just not any time soon.
Thanks for asking.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #1530
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
This will be my first Princess, but I'll answer based on my experiences so far with other Disney races...

Quote:
I'll bring extra layers to put on post-race - I chill quickly. Also something to roll out my legs, either my rolling pin or foam roller.

Quote:
I've brought a camera in the past because my phone is strapped to my arm for music and GPS... but I almost tossed my camera away at the TOT 10-Miler I was so sick of carrying it, so I'm still pondering this one myself...

Quote:
I don't recall seeing Photopass in any Disney races I've done, but they do have on-course photogs.

Quote:
Yes, but make that plural - layers, several of them, for this FL girl.

Quote:
I'm planning on 2am.

Quote:
Planning to be out there waiting for the bus by 3am.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: