Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
Disney Princess
Member Since Day 1
I am just the "organized" one
 
Disney Princess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Back in Texas
Posts: 2,584

Ear Hat Embroidery

Since there isn't a shopping forum, I hope that this is the right place. We are looking to get our son his first ears with his name on them. I know where we can purchase the hat and have the embroidery done for a fee. However, I vaguely remember reading here that there is a place that will do the embroidery for free. Am I crazy, or is that still true. If so, where can we do it. Thank you in advance!
Disney Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran
 
KrazeeK120's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bloomington, IL
Posts: 1,093

I don't know of any place at Disney World that will do it for free. However, standard embroidery is only $3 (I had a hat embroidered for my nephew this past weekend). So the cost really is pretty nominal, in my opinion.
__________________
Me DH
'95 Offsite, '07 POFQ (Disneymoon!), '09 YC, '12 CR, '13 Pop, '14 BWI
KrazeeK120 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran
 
cuchu2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posts: 777

We've done a couple and it is not free. I don't remember how much it adds to the price, but it wasn't something outrageous.

Now, the places I remember are in DHS (a shop that also sells towels), down by Sunset Boulevard and in Epcot, MouseGears.

At least those are the places I went to. I suppose there must be shops at the other parks, but I don't have that info.

Mx
__________________
Me - DW - DD (8) - DD (4):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
MommaBarb
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuchu2005 View Post
We've done a couple and it is not free. I don't remember how much it adds to the price, but it wasn't something outrageous.

Now, the places I remember are in DHS (a shop that also sells towels), down by Sunset Boulevard and in Epcot, MouseGears.

At least those are the places I went to. I suppose there must be shops at the other parks, but I don't have that info.

Mx
There's a hat store right in Magic Kingdom, right on Main Street. I don't remember the name. I just remember running in there during the electrical parade a couple years ago.
__________________
MommaBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
famousmockingbird
Mouseketeer
 
famousmockingbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Dirty South
Posts: 286

Like others said, embroidery isn't free, but the cost is minimal.
Our first trip, 6 years ago, we got two sets done at the Chapeau - on main street next to the confectionary (If i'm not mistaken, it's next to the smoking section). Last trip (last June), my husband got a set done in a little shop as you are leaving from Mickey's hangout in the Town Square Theater.
Hope this helps!
famousmockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
iwish81792
Mouseketeer
 
iwish81792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Saratoga Springs
Posts: 302

At Magic Kingdom, there are now three places to get a hat embroidered. The Chapeau on Main Street, Fantasy Faire in Fantasyland, and Big Top Souvenirs in Storybook Circus. They all offer the same embroidery. There are three fonts, Fun and Script, which are a kids-style writing and a thick cursive (these are considered premium fonts and cost $7) and the Traditional, which is the closest to the old style and only costs $3. There are currently no places in WDW that offer free embroidery.
__________________


and just around the corner is a Fantasyland!
iwish81792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 7,203

I've got a question that came up this weekend regarding embroidery. We saw a girl with a set of ears embroidered with her name AND Sweet 16 Trip underneath her name. I thought that they only embroidered proper name and that was it. Has this changed?
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #8
ilovedisneyworld
Mouseketeer
 
ilovedisneyworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 232

When I was there in 2011 they put my name and class of 2011 on there. Might have cost more I can't remember. That was at DHS
__________________
Morgan (Me) DH Carly(coming January 2014)
ilovedisneyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
iwish81792
Mouseketeer
 
iwish81792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Saratoga Springs
Posts: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
I've got a question that came up this weekend regarding embroidery. We saw a girl with a set of ears embroidered with her name AND Sweet 16 Trip underneath her name. I thought that they only embroidered proper name and that was it. Has this changed?
Proper names only, but occasions are also allowed. A second line will be an extra $7 though, and it would have to be in a premium font.

That said, the proper name rule is very dependent on the cast member, and what the name is. Something like "Mommy and Daddy's First Trip 2013" would be allowed, while "The Hash Slinging Slasher's First Trip 2013" would not be. In my personal experience, the rule is mainly in place for people trying to put inappropriate or offensive names on hats.
__________________


and just around the corner is a Fantasyland!
iwish81792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 7,203

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwish81792 View Post
Proper names only, but occasions are also allowed. A second line will be an extra $7 though, and it would have to be in a premium font.

That said, the proper name rule is very dependent on the cast member, and what the name is. Something like "Mommy and Daddy's First Trip 2013" would be allowed, while "The Hash Slinging Slasher's First Trip 2013" would not be. In my personal experience, the rule is mainly in place for people trying to put inappropriate or offensive names on hats.
Thanks for explaining. We were so confused as to how she got that done. It's pretty neat that they do that. I wish we'd known this when we've been there for special occasions.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
butterfly71076
DIS Veteran
 
butterfly71076's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Posts: 1,160

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwish81792 View Post
Proper names only, but occasions are also allowed. A second line will be an extra $7 though, and it would have to be in a premium font.

That said, the proper name rule is very dependent on the cast member, and what the name is. Something like "Mommy and Daddy's First Trip 2013" would be allowed, while "The Hash Slinging Slasher's First Trip 2013" would not be. In my personal experience, the rule is mainly in place for people trying to put inappropriate or offensive names on hats.
SpongeBob!
__________________
Me (38) DH (38) DS (6) Penny (7) Lola (2)
First trip Aug 1992 POR April 1995 ASSp June 1997 ASMu DH First Trip Oct 2004 CBR DS First Trip May 2009 ASMu May/June 2010 ASMo Nov 2011 SSR Dec 2012 SSR March 2013 ASMo July 2013 CSR Sept 2013 CSR March 2014 CBR Jan 2015 1st Disney Cruise June 2015 CSR
butterfly71076 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #12
Onalise
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Buffalo, New York
Posts: 96

In 2003, when I was a cast member at Epcot, you could buy your ears from me, go to a specific store in Magic Kingdom, on main street, with your receipt and have it done free. Boy, how stuff changes.
Onalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:30 PM   #13
mickeyonasticky
DIS Veteran
 
mickeyonasticky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Orlando! :]
Posts: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwish81792 View Post
At Magic Kingdom, there are now three places to get a hat embroidered. The Chapeau on Main Street, Fantasy Faire in Fantasyland, and Big Top Souvenirs in Storybook Circus. They all offer the same embroidery. There are three fonts, Fun and Script, which are a kids-style writing and a thick cursive (these are considered premium fonts and cost $7) and the Traditional, which is the closest to the old style and only costs $3. There are currently no places in WDW that offer free embroidery.
There are actually 4 places to have embroidery done in MK. The three mentioned above, plus Curtain Call Collectibles next to Town Square Theater. That's the shop at the end of the Mickey and Princesses meet and greets.
__________________
mickeyonasticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #14
iwish81792
Mouseketeer
 
iwish81792's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Saratoga Springs
Posts: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyonasticky View Post
There are actually 4 places to have embroidery done in MK. The three mentioned above, plus Curtain Call Collectibles next to Town Square Theater. That's the shop at the end of the Mickey and Princesses meet and greets.
Oh man, I always forget that shop even exists! I need to see the boss more often
__________________


and just around the corner is a Fantasyland!
iwish81792 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #15
bethann77
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: indiana
Posts: 197

there was a store on main street, right by tony's town square restaurant. They said the embroidery was free if we were celebrating something. This was October of 2011. Not sure if they still do it.
bethann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.