Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #16
badblackpug
If you knew her you would be shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
It's a discussion board. I hear those kind of questions at work and from friends from time to time too. And these days, very few medical professionals will give out advice over the phone, they want to see you in person....and bill you for their services.
Actually, no. Most healthcare providers are no longer willing to give advice over the phone because everyone wants to sue for everything. It's a lose-lose situation. If you tell the patient to wait to see the doctor and something happens they want to sue. If you send the patient to the ER and they don't like that outcome, they want to sue. So the canned response is: "I'm not permitted to give medical advice over the telephone, we can get you in for an appointment on xx/xx/xxxx at yy:yy, but if you feel that this is a true medical emergency, or if your condition worsens you need to seek immediate treatment at your closest emergency department."

Then people are still mad when they get to the ER if they have to wait. "MY DOCTOR SENT ME TO THE ER!"
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
hellow
Mouseketeer

I really thought the nurse advice lines were very helpful, but I think ours went away a year or two ago.

I am too private to ask a medical question on a discussion board, but I will talk to friends and family before showing up in the immediate care or the ER. Both places have a tendency to waste both your money and your time unless you REALLY need to go. And sometimes it is hard to know. Sometimes you need to go directly to the ER, and will save yourself some time and an office visit cost by going straight there. We have a "penalty" co-pay for going to the ER with my insurance so I never go there directly unless I know for sure that Immediate care won't treat me.

Maybe some people who are more isolated find it easier to go to a discussion board rather than track down a friend or family member they can trust.
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #18
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

We have Healthlinks here. It is a number you can call for medical advice. It is open 24/7 and is always answered by a nurse. Usually they will end up telling you to go to the ER but I guess that's to cover their butts. Since we don't pay for doctor or ER visits I usually take their advice.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #19
ORMom2Four
DIS Veteran

Because we all have terrible insurance now with a $3,000 deductible and DIS boards are our new way to receive medical care?

Seriously though, I think it's the same as calling your mom, sister or friend and asking for their opinion.

(btw, I do have a $3K deductible and have stopped going to the Dr. because of it, lol)
ORMom2Four is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #20
smitch425
DIS Veteran

I have wondered about some of the medical threads, too, but I have found that if someone posts a thread asking if anyone has "insert hard to pronounce illness here", 10 Disers respond with their experiences with that illness. There are several thousand members on this site, and chances are that someone knows the answer to a lot of the medical questions. At least enough of an answer to give sound advice on what the poster might be dealing with.

Obviously if you are bleeding or in immediate distress, you should call 911 or head to the ER, but if you have just been diagnosed with something and are reaching out for a kind ear in a place where you have build internet friendships, I see nothing wrong with doing that at all.

Last edited by smitch425; 01-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.
smitch425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #21
jemmouse
DIS Veteran

I actually posted one about a tooth, and have also about cortisone injections, and plantar fascitis. I think knowledge is power and I personally learn from other people through their experiences. My best friend is a pharmacist and she tells me about new allergy meds, then I ask the doctor about them. I don't see no harm in questions....

I personally have never read one where someone is writing about chest pains and should they go to doctor. I think common sense is if it were real bad most of us are adults on here and I would hope they would know to dial 911 and not DIS boards. With that being said, I still stand by KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, SHARING experiences, just enriches your own wisdom....

Happy Health to all!!!!

P.S----I call my friend for advice why wouldn't I reach out here, kindness, support can be found in wide variety of places. SOme people might be new to a community, have hectic family lives, or are to busy in their careers to call a friend. This is second best and I know myself, I have gotten some great advice on here..
Old 01-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #22
ShelsGoingToDisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORMom2Four View Post
Because we all have terrible insurance now with a $3,000 deductible and DIS boards are our new way to receive medical care?

Seriously though, I think it's the same as calling your mom, sister or friend and asking for their opinion.

(btw, I do have a $3K deductible and have stopped going to the Dr. because of it, lol)
Same here except my deductible is $4K!

I do avoid going to the Dr a lot more than before. Obviously if I were having symptoms of an emergency I would go to the ER. If it is something that is iffy I may post here or another Mom's forum I read. I have wasted far too much money going to the Dr and paying an outrageous co-pay, seeing the Dr for 2 minutes and basically being told to go home and see if it gets worse. Of course returning would then be another co-pay. Not to mention I seem to now be getting billed for a bunch of little things during the visit. The co-pay seems to be a cover charge now just to walk in the door.

Offsite ~ July 1983, June 1992, March 2001; Poly/ASMovies~Jan 2006;Poly~April 2006;Pop/Poly~Jan 2008;CR~March 2009;BC~Oct 2009;POP~July 2010;Harry Potter trip~Jan 2011;Endeavour Launch Trip~April 2011;Atlantis Launch Trip~July 2011;POR~May 2012; Disney Fantasy Cruise ~ May 2012;Joey's 13th Birthday Christmas Decor Trip ~ Nov/Dec.2012;Disneyland~May 2013 ~ Silly Sam's AoA Adventure Nov. 2013 ~ WONDERful Alaska May 2014
ShelsGoingToDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:30 PM   #23
beaucoup
DIS Veteran

It's funny. Here, I see posts of people who clearly need to go to the ER right away but don't.

Yet, on Facebook, I see people who go to the ER when it's something they should have made a doctor's appoint for.

Can't win.

Me? I have been to ER just twice in 20ish years. Last time was this past summer. I called the Nurse Hotline first & she said to go to the ER. When I got there, they took me right in ahead of others waiting. ER diagnosed wrong & gave me nothing for the condition. Made me feel like a fool for going there. Within hours, condition was even worse. It was late Saturday night.

When my Dr was in her office on Sunday catching up on paperwork & got the report that I had visited ER, she called me at home to see what was wrong, and told me to come right to her office. She was in sweatpants & I hadn't even showered yet. lol She took care of the situation much better than the ER did. Correct diagnosis & script written.
beaucoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:50 PM   #24
Handbag Lady
Disneyland Bride 2000
If you can't say somethng nice, come sit next to me
Has the wherewithall to save bakery goods from earthquakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfans95 View Post
It always boggles my mind when I see someone with "insert random medical issue here" and asks everything from if they need to go to the ER, call 911 or set up their plot at the local cemetery..

Honestly, don't folks call a MEDICAL professionals? If your first instinct is to hit a Disney forum to see if that red bump is a going to give septic shock, you got your priorities wrong..

I mean, there are stuff here that people post that screams call 911 and they take the time to post and hope some random person with zero true medical training might give them good advice.

Before I read everyone else's answer, I will give mine. People here are NOT just looking for advice about visiting any Disney park. They may have found this place because of a trip, but after a while, you become friendly and you start to learn about others. This builds trust, and who else do you go to for help except for your friends?

Someone asking for medical advice may already have gone to their doctor and are waiting for the appointment. Others may be looking for a starting point on how to go about something. For example, if you have a rash on your arm and a fever, do you go to your primary or straight to the dermatologist?

From my personal experience with a medical issue, the help I found here not only gave me multiple personal backgrounds on my issue, but also real-life hands-on experience. After searching my topic, I was able to go into my medical appointment armed with really good questions that helped guide me to a solution that worked best for me. They truly were questions I would not have thought to ask in the first place.

Finally, the traffic here is fairly frequent, so if you are a mother and your child has a fever, and it is your first child, you are more than likely going to find out the answer to "What temperature should I panic about and rush to the ER over?" Not only that, this mother would more than likely find other mothers and grandmothers that would help put her mind to ease OR confirm her suspicions that something just isn't right.
WDW: October 2010: DCL, Poly, and the Grand for the 10th Anniversary Extravaganza!, Oct/Nov. 2008 CBR / Sept. 2007 CBR / Oct. 2006 AKL / August 2005 POR (hello Katrina!) / 1998 Off Campus at the Grosvenor (ENGAGED AT EPCOT )
DL: Twice a month for years / Multiple visits since birth / 1989 CM on Main Street / 2000 Disneyland Fairy Tale Wedding
DCL: Oct 2010 4-Day Caribbean / Nov 2011 Mexican Riviera / Oct 2012 Mexican Riviera
Handbag Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:28 AM   #25
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I don't see a problem with it. Obviously, if you're bleeding to death then you wouldn't be posting on a discussion board...hopefully. However, there are plenty of nurses (myself included) that participate in discussion boards so I don't see any harm in asking a general question and getting advice.

I have family members and friends calling/texting all the time asking me about different things. It's really no different.
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:00 AM   #26
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world

Arrow Costs matter

I don't see too much issue with trying to inform yourself in trying to decide if you have an emergency or not. For many of us, costs are a huge factor in these decisions. I had a trip to the ER recently that cost me $7000 for the 5 hours I was there. Yep, $7000. My insurance refused to cover it (I had minimal "catastrophic" insurance, totally useless). If I could have avoided that trip, I would have. (I did have an medical problem that required follow-up surgery, so at least the visit did me some good).

Tyring to find as much information as you can makes sense to me. A trip to the ER is financial disaster for many of us, not a decision to be made lightly.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:33 AM   #27
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Personally, I have a tendency to be more worried about medical stuff than I should be. I can see posting and getting a lot of 'relax, it's no big deal,' answers. I can see it happening, but I've yet to do it...sometimes it just helps to have someone who is detached from the emotion of the situation.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #28
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

I would never go online for help with a medical emergency. I would call 911, get into the car, or call my doctor.

BUT-- 5 years ago I found a Phyllodes tumor in my breast. One surgical biopsy, one mastectomy, and 3 reconstruction surgeries later, (oh, and an unrelated thyroidectomy, just for good measure) everything is fine, but I had a LOT of sleepless nights.

The absolute BEST source of practical info was the Breast Cancer thread here on the DIS. Not for the medical stuff- those questions went to my doctors. But for the practical, day to day coping stuff, those women (and one or two men) were angels sent from heaven. They had walked in my shoes and had concrete advice, support when I needed it-- they got me through.

Whenever I hear of anyone facing breast cancer, I give them two things: my email address and the link to the breast cancer thread here.

Here it is: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2833381

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:52 AM   #29
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Maybe I've skipped over them, but I haven't seen a thread yet that said "I've got 103 degree fever, itching all over, and bleeding through my nose, what should I do?"

To me there's a couple "grey areas" when it comes to medical. There's "self treat" ailments, "grey area", make an appointment for your doctor, "grey area", and go to the ER. People come here because, at least in their minds, their ailment falls in one of the grey areas. They don't know if they're blowing things out of proportion, or in true danger. So they hit a sounding board (here). If everyone made every decision correctly 100% of the time... I don't know what would happen.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 AM   #30
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I think it is valuable to share knowledge with others.

Perhaps OP, you do not have any ongoing medical conditions or situations in which outside opinions & support can be helpful? I am on the WISH boards trying to be healthier. Let me tell you there is no ONE way to go about that. Everyone will have a different approach.

Take mental health. That is one area of practice where sharing experiences can really be helpful. It varies so much.

Lastly, I will say that it can give people the courage to change their doctors. How do you know if you are getting "good service" if you have nothing to compare it to?
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: