Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:45 PM   #61
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Nope, I open the garage door, and pull out while I'm putting on my seat belt. It has not seemed to affect the driving so hopefully that's fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #62
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Absolutely! Best invention ever.

We are hitting -43 with the windchill tonight, so at 7am, it will be mighty chilly.

Sometimes I even do it twice
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #63
jenhum
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP958
I did not read everything, sorry if this has been answered.
What is plugging in the car?

I am from Alabama and have never heard of someone plugging in a car. Is it an electric car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnCarrie

It's -20 F without the windchill here. -40 with the windchill. If you leave your car outside for too long without plugging it in it the battery won't start.

No they are not electric cars.
So glad this was asked and answered, I'm from NC/SC and have never heard of this either! I just thought there must be more electric cars out there than I realized, lol!
jenhum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 PM   #64
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy

I bet your owners manual says to start the car, take right off, but drive conservatively. Nothing pollutes more than an idling car engine.
And at least here in California, cars are designed to get to operating temperature quickly. Normally my temperature gauge is at normal operating temperature in 2 city blocks......although we just had a stretch of 25 degree weather the last 2 weeks and it took 4 blocks to get to full operating temperature.

Funny you mention plugging your car in, I mentioned that here a year or two ago and a lot of people who said they lived in snow country said they had never heard of that. Last time I was in Calgary, the hotel I stayed in had a plug at every parking spot. I know my family up there has the engine block heater, and a small electric heater mounted under the dash on the passenger side to keep the oil and water in the engine warm, and the interior warm too.
If I went outside right now and tried to start my car nothing would happen so I couldn't just take right off. It's -28F outside right now. We HAVE to plug in our car or it isn't moving the next day. I don't know one single person who uses a block heater (if that's the one inside the car). Cars around here have extension cords coming out of the front grill so they can be plugged in, wherever they are. Store parking lots don't have plug ins but most office buildings do. I worked at a place without plugs and on my lunch break I would have to go let the engine run for a few minutes to make sure it started at the end of he day. Even when the car is plugged in, you have to let it run a few minutes before driving off. Otherwise it feels like you are driving a big, frozen block of metal.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #65
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee View Post
If I went outside right now and tried to start my car nothing would happen so I couldn't just take right off. It's -28F outside right now. We HAVE to plug in our car or it isn't moving the next day. I don't know one single person who uses a block heater (if that's the one inside the car). Cars around here have extension cords coming out of the front grill so they can be plugged in, wherever they are. Store parking lots don't have plug ins but most office buildings do. I worked at a place without plugs and on my lunch break I would have to go let the engine run for a few minutes to make sure it started at the end of he day. Even when the car is plugged in, you have to let it run a few minutes before driving off. Otherwise it feels like you are driving a big, frozen block of metal.
I've never plugged mine in. We don't see much of that. Well maybe tomorrow we will. You definitely get colder conditions than us, but we may be even right now. It is downright nasty.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #66
kimblebee
now my thoughts will be worth 5 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasita

I've never plugged mine in. We don't see much of that. Well maybe tomorrow we will. You definitely get colder conditions than us, but we may be even right now. It is downright nasty.
I think maybe newer cars don't need to be plugged in unless its nasty cold, like right now. I put the temp in F for people but last night we were at -41C. It's supposed to warm up a bit but its still brutally cold with the Arctic air.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:26 AM   #67
DisneyATlast
Mouseketeer

I used to have a remote start and it was the best thing ever! I can not tolerate cold at all. I will be freezing and jumping around like a crazy person and everyone else is like, "It's not THAT bad!" Yes, it is!

I'm definitely having a remote start on my next car! I'm not bothering to have one put in on the car I have now because it's old and I plan to keep it just for a car to go to work/back since it's small and good on gas, but I don't want to invest anything into it. Next time I go shopping for a car though...remote start is a must have!
DisneyATlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:48 AM   #68
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

It's 5:45 am. Right now, it's 11 degrees outside, with a windchill of 3 degrees.

I'm leaving for work in an hour, and dropping my kids off at school on the way. The way their lockers are set up, there's not room for both textbooks and a heavy coat, so no one really wears the coat-- they wear hooded sweatshirts. (Yes, honest. In New York. In winter.) I have the luxury of being able to wear a jacket over my suit.

So, you had better believe I'm starting that car 10 minutes before I leave. Santa was kind enough to get me a remote start. I leave the car set so that the heat will blast (and the radio is off). Not only will my car be nice and comfortable, and my windshields be frost free, but there's the added bonus that the rear doors of the van won't be frozen shut.

I just realized my ticker is wrong!! We leave July 29th!!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club We're going to the Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #69
clarkshel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimblebee

The cords you mentioned coming out of the front of the grill are from the block heater. It is a heater attached to the block of your engine. To warm up the oil and block to make starting easier in cold weather. The inside hearts another poster mentioned, is a heater some people install after market to heat the inside of the car. I don't think they are very common
clarkshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   #70
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Depending on the type of heater the inside might get some heat as well.

The in the block style heaters will heat a small section of the block.
The style that pumps fluid to evenly heat the block will also put some heat in the inside because the coolant flows thru the heater core even though the thermostat is close. And if you leave the car set to defrost the heat will rise up and defrost the windshield.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #71
M2B
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenhum View Post
So glad this was asked and answered, I'm from NC/SC and have never heard of this either! I just thought there must be more electric cars out there than I realized, lol!
It's easier on the engine in extreme cold. Although even Canadian made cars don't always have the block heater TO plug in. My husband's car.. a 2008.. didn't have a block heater. We had it put in after market. His car would still start even in -40 weather, but it's HORRIBLE on fuel like that. When we're paying almost $4/gallon (U.S. prices) we do what we can to reduce that.
M2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:58 AM   #72
SLP958
DIS Veteran

Wow! Sometimes I think Alabama is too hot. I will remember this thread and be thankful of warm weather!
SLP958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #73
mrspaha
Mouseketeer

I usually just let it idle for a few minutes before driving off, unless I need to scrape the windows. In that case, I start it up with the front and rear defrosters on while I scrape. In that case, it's probably about 5 minutes. My reasoning is more for economical reasons; I can't see wasting gas just letting it heat up.
mrspaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:40 PM   #74
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Sometimes. If the windows are frosted over, or if the temperature is really really cold, I will. It makes me nervous because we have on-street parking, and I don't have my spare set of keys (DH has them on his ring), so I leave the car running and unlocked on the street. My neighborhood is pretty safe, but it only takes one "bad guy" to hop in and drive off in my mini-van...
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM   #75
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manning View Post
Contrary to belief windchill only has an affect on organic objects IE flesh. -5 degrees on a metal object with a -30 wind chill will be -5.
When it's negative outside, I'm not putting my behind in a freezing cold car. That is why its warmed up for as long as it is. Plus, I know my car and if she's not warmed up, she not a happy car.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: