Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #31
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaNana
I like my cell phone camera as the pictures are on the cloud.
Can't rely on that on a cruise ship, though.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 PM   #32
Miz Diz
I'll give up anything, as long as it isn't ice cream
And now my head is really spinningHe can't understand why he can't get me that excited.

I am so sorry to hear! Someone stole our camera at DHS on my son's first trip to Disney. I know how you feel. That was back in the day, before digital camera's. I ended up buying a disposable, but all those pics were lost and we only had 1 more day.

It amazes me that people can afford an expensive vacation, but feel the need to steal.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #33
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miz Diz
I am so sorry to hear! Someone stole our camera at DHS on my son's first trip to Disney. I know how you feel. That was back in the day, before digital camera's. I ended up buying a disposable, but all those pics were lost and we only had 1 more day.

It amazes me that people can afford an expensive vacation, but feel the need to steal.
Stealing is probably how the afforded the cruise in the first place.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #34
m&m123
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry about your pictures. I lost an sd card once with 6 months of pictures- I just felt sick about it.
One tip that I have not seen mentioned yet that may help someone in the future.- write your name/address and cell phone number(I also added my stateroom number for the cruise) on a piece of paper before the cruise or other trip and I took a picture of the piece of paper. When the thief or person who would find it turns on the camera you would see all of that information when scrolling through the pics.
Maybe they would have a change of heart and at least mail the SD card-one can hope anyway.

m&m123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 PM   #35
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5
There is a device that allows you to transfer photos directly from a camera to an iPad??? Genius! Suggestions as to quality products?
AFAIK, only Apple sells one:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...connection-kit
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #36
meajuly5
DIS Veteran

You made my day!!! Thank you. Looks like I will be stopping at apple this weekend.
meajuly5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #37
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

Well, if its any consolation, sharing your loss sounds like it is going to help a lot of people avoid the same given the responses posted to this thread. It doesn't make up for having your camera stolen, but it is helping others plan for such a loss.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #38
anna08
DIS Veteran

I lost a camera on a beach vacation and have altered my behavior ever since - I don't use SD cards with tons of memory because if you lose one, you potentially lose tons of photos (as was true in my case) and I try to download the photos to my laptop every day or so in case I would lose one. So sorry for your loss but thanks for posting the reminder to be careful with our cameras.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
MrRay
Mouseketeer

I use the apple camera adapter to backup pictures to my iPad every night on vacation, or more if I have a moment. That way my pictures are saved in 2 places until I get home.
MrRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:10 AM   #40
UmmGooD
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
I have no experience with this but please if anyone is interested in purchasing this make sure with the apple store that you can use this to do what you want to do. I have heard it has a lot of limitations. Also remember you need enough space free on your iPad to store the photos you have on your camera. Most people now have 4GB or 8GB memory cards in their camera. If you have a 16GB iPad you will only be able to get 3 4GB cards on your device if it is near empty. Please make sure you have enough room given your camera usage. I am an extreme user but I would fill my iPad's available space in about 2 days on vacation and I have a 32GB iPad.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:47 AM   #41
Minniemiss
DIS Veteran

Does shutters still download photos to a disc? They did in the past for a cost.
Minniemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #42
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

Quote:
Originally Posted by meajuly5
There is a device that allows you to transfer photos directly from a camera to an iPad??? Genius! Suggestions as to quality products?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmGooD

I have no experience with this but please if anyone is interested in purchasing this make sure with the apple store that you can use this to do what you want to do. I have heard it has a lot of limitations. Also remember you need enough space free on your iPad to store the photos you have on your camera. Most people now have 4GB or 8GB memory cards in their camera. If you have a 16GB iPad you will only be able to get 3 4GB cards on your device if it is near empty. Please make sure you have enough room given your camera usage. I am an extreme user but I would fill my iPad's available space in about 2 days on vacation and I have a 32GB iPad.
I was going to post this tip, but since it doesn't help the OP, I didn't go down that path. Since the discussion has turned this way...

We have the Apple iPad camera connection kit. It goes on every trip we take, long with my iPad. I remove all music and most apps from my iPad to clear as much space as possible. Every night, my "job" is to back up and/or clear all camera memory cards (2 cameras + video camera) on to the iPad. The iPad then goes into the safe. The next night, repeat. Then when we return home, I get the fun (NOT!) task of transferring all pics and vids on to the hard drive at home.

The last part can be a pain if there's a hiccup, but it does work and I've transferred all successfully. We've done this for two cruises and two WDW trips. I take a LOT of pics and have a 64GB iPad. DH brings his iPad along as well in case we need it, which we did on our Alaskan cruise.

The peace of mind that our pictures are safely tucked away each day makes the extra work worth it. The iPad camera connection kit has two different plugs. It, along with a USB cable or the cable that came with your camera, or simply the memory card itself should work together. We have used ours with four different cameras over the years.

HTH,
Dreams

Disney Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
Bsb1012
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemiss View Post
Does shutters still download photos to a disc? They did in the past for a cost.
Yes they do... or should I say they did on the Fantasy back in July. They printed all the pictures as well as put them all on a cd.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #44
Ancaster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
FYI, DealExtreme and other Chinese sites sell these for less than $10, but you have to wait as long as a month to get them.
It's the lightning one too.

Need it right now? Apple.
Ancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:37 PM   #45
BuzzLightyearInTampa
DIS Veteran

I'm interested what happened after you noticed it missing? Did you report it right away? And what actions did the crew take (if any) to attempt to recover it? Many places on board have security cameras, there may have been something there.
Places we've stayed at WDW: All Star Movies, All Star Sports, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans - Riverside, Port Orleans - French Quarter, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Beach Club, Yacht Club, and Grand Floridian.
Previous cruises:
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2001
7-night Western Caribbean, Disney Magic, Oct-Nov, 2009
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic, Dec, 2011
7-night Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, Nov-Dec, 2013
7-night Alaska, Disney Wonder, June, 2014

Walt Disney World Marathons completed - 2003, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014
BuzzLightyearInTampa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: