Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

Our first Disney cruise was on the Magic and we LOVED it! Since then, we have done the Magic twice more, the Dream 3 times, and the Fantasy once. While we do enjoy the new ships as well, the Magic feels more "homey" to us.
Be sure to go out onto "secret" deck 7 aft...its awesome!
Also, I hate Animators on the newer ships...I find Crush completely annoying while I'm trying to have dinner. I don't really find that the place for him to be. I LOVE Animators on the Magic...the walls change during dinner from black and white to color. Its really cool.
The food on the classic ships and the new ships are both fine. They have definitely changed the menus for the new ships, but they are just different, not better.
We love Teesa, the activities director on the Magic. Be sure to go to some of the nighttime game shows, she is a riot!
All in all, you can't go wrong on a Disney ship, in my opinion.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

We sailed the Wonder on our first DCL cruise. It was great, no complaints. I did think Parrot Cay was kinda tacky. Not my idea of nice decor, but to each their own.

Have been on Dream 3x and Fantasy once. Love that class of ship!! They are just absolutely stunning!! When booking my cruise that leaves this weekend I was torn between Wonder out of Miami and Dream out of PC. I really want to sail out of Miami but decided to do Dream again because I feel like I'm cheating myself by going back on the classic ship. When the Magic comes to Miami after its dry dock makeover....I will be booking out of Miami. I expect it will be made over with the new bed linens(getting rid of the crappy bedspreads they currently have) and getting some of the fantastic things that make the Dream class so special. I expect they will modernize the MDR's, add the screens in animators, and definitely give Parrot Cay a makeover. They will probably add virtual portholes in inside staterooms. Once they update and modernize those ships, I think they will be better than Dream and Fantasy. They will still have all the glitz and glamour, but with a lot less people
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #18
kiford
Mouseketeer

There's things I liked about the classic versus the newer and vice versa.

I liked the MDR's in all of the ships - no problem there. For me, a good portion of the experience in the MDRs is your companion diners, the servers, and the food. All of them are nice in my opinion. All different.

I like the adult pool in the Dream better (and while there are children walking through I didn't find it a problem).

The animated artwork I liked on the Dream.

I like the smaller size on the Magic and Wonder but I can't say that it was a real problem on the Dream except for customs and debarking. More people but more space to spread out. I didn't find the layout in the MDRs much different from the Magic and Wonder in terms of how close the other tables are. Maybe they are and maybe they aren't - I was having too much fun to notice.

I liked the pirate party and sail away party better on the Magic.

Aquaduck is a hoot. But I could live without it.

Cove Cafe - great on either Magic or Dream. Many hours spent there.

Staterooms are definitely bigger on the Magic and I noticed it (not that it was terribly limiting but I noticed it and verified after we got home). However, there's still lots of storage space.

Bottom line - pick a departing port, destination(s) and/or timing that meets your needs or desires. Whatever is most important to you at the time. You'll be happy either way. Sometimes we choose the ports, sometimes the date, sometimes the ship. Loved every one and can't wait for Jun 2013!

WDW: 1986 (off-site), 1991 (CB), 2000 (BI), 2005 (BC/BI), 2008 (BI/AKL), 2011 (BC/GF), 2012 (GF), 2013 (BC)

Me (49) Him (52)
kiford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #19
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Any time we could drive to the port; that ship would get our vote , but that's just us. We have sailed on all 4 Disney Ships, and have great memories on each. In your case we'd do the Classic Ships out of Galveston, & honestly I don't think you will be disappointed with the MDRs. If we didn't like our first cruises on the Magic & Wonder, we never would have booked another 12 Disney cruises.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: