Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
amyy
I do pat them out on a floured surface
I always think I may find paper /stickers etc

your favorite healthy meals at Disney please

We go to Disney a few times a year so I am familiar with the buffet options, how all restaurants have salads etc. I would love if you could take the time to list restaurants and you favorite meal there. I am doing well with a clean eating plan right now but trying to mentally prepare for our upcoming trip. Part of our stay we are on the Boardwalk and luckily the bakery will be closed. My idea of a Disney vacation is based on the cupcakes
(Thanks in advance if you have the time to give me some suggestions)

Off the top of my head:
Kouzinna's- oatmeal without syrup, fresh fruit plate
Bongo's-fresh fruit plate
Wilderness Lodge-quinoa wrap (thinking this is healthy)
The Wave-breakfast buffet and other menu choices

Last edited by amyy; 01-15-2013 at 05:30 PM.
amyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

i'm not very on track on vacation...so i don't have specifics, but i always feel like Columbia Harbour House has good options

and i agree...my family must start all WDW visits at the BW bakery

this thready maybe helpful Weight Watchers at the World

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #3
amyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohMom View Post
i'm not very on track on vacation...so i don't have specifics, but i always feel like Columbia Harbour House has good options

and i agree...my family must start all WDW visits at the BW bakery

this thready maybe helpful Weight Watchers at the World
Thanks for taking the time to respond. We have never been to Columbia Harbour House so I will have to look into it. I just need to have a plan or I will be right back to my old habits of a plate of sweets at every buffet.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
ohMom
Kids Get Arthritis Too!
Amen and Hallelujah Sister!!

DISboards Moderator

i understand and applaud you!!

Co-Moderator WISH forum -- Take the WISH challenge here.........
ohMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
GoofyWalker
Mouseketeer

Hi, haven't been on the boards in ages, but I wanted to reply, as I just enjoyed (what I consider) a healthy option last week. I had read about it on a couple of other boards or lists a few months ago, and was looking forward to trying it.

At American Adventure, in Epcot, they have an entree that consists of a 6oz strip steak, a few pieces of broccoli, and 2 potato wedges. I am definitely a higher protein/lower carb girl, and I enjoyed this meal. The portion was not huge, but it was filling. The steak was just slightly chewy, but it was very juicy. You cannot choose the level of done-ness for the steak, but I would say it was medium, or just past medium. While I usually eat my steak medium rare, I did not mind it, because it was so juicy and flavorful.

The cost was around $10.50, with tax it was just under $11.50. Overall, I think this is one of the great bargains at Epcot! I hope the response is positive, and they keep it on the menu! I will definitely be back for this one!

GoofyWalker
GoofyWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
amyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofyWalker View Post
Hi, haven't been on the boards in ages, but I wanted to reply, as I just enjoyed (what I consider) a healthy option last week. I had read about it on a couple of other boards or lists a few months ago, and was looking forward to trying it.

At American Adventure, in Epcot, they have an entree that consists of a 6oz strip steak, a few pieces of broccoli, and 2 potato wedges. I am definitely a higher protein/lower carb girl, and I enjoyed this meal. The portion was not huge, but it was filling. The steak was just slightly chewy, but it was very juicy. You cannot choose the level of done-ness for the steak, but I would say it was medium, or just past medium. While I usually eat my steak medium rare, I did not mind it, because it was so juicy and flavorful.

The cost was around $10.50, with tax it was just under $11.50. Overall, I think this is one of the great bargains at Epcot! I hope the response is positive, and they keep it on the menu! I will definitely be back for this one!

GoofyWalker
Thanks for taking the time to respond. We are at the Boardwalk half our stay and have never eaten here. Sounds like something my husband would love. We will both have to give it a try.

I have printed out a lot of menus just so I know things like Ohana's is heavy on carbs at breakfast but the Wave has variety. Hoping to stay away from pasta, waffles, cupcakes like some of my trips consist of
Old 01-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
mufasa0505
DIS Veteran

I found grilled chicken sandwiches in a few places last week (Pepper Market, Cosmic Ray's. I also did a lot of salads with grilled chicken. We made breakfast in our room usually. By the time I got home last week I was ready for my own cooked food.

Disney Bride
September 19, 2005

mufasa0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
amyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufasa0505 View Post
I found grilled chicken sandwiches in a few places last week (Pepper Market, Cosmic Ray's. I also did a lot of salads with grilled chicken. We made breakfast in our room usually. By the time I got home last week I was ready for my own cooked food.
Salads with grilled chicken sounds good to me. I will mark down Cosmic Ray;s, I think Pepper Market is at a resort so we might not make it there. I am thinking about breakfast in our room a majority of the time. We have studio which makes it nice to store/prep a few items.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
mufasa0505
DIS Veteran

I always bring down a microwave egg cooker, then get eggs, cheese and english muffins to make breakfast sandwiches. Easy and healthy (with the right ingredients) to make in a studio.

Disney Bride
September 19, 2005

mufasa0505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
amyy

Luckily we have a car so we can go to the grocery store. I am making my list. Usually once a day I have been having a protein shake so I will bring down the powder and a stick blender.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #11
sunshinecruise
Mouseketeer

We go to WDW a few times a year also. One of our new favorite places to eat is the Tangierine Cafe in Morocco at Epcot. I usually get the vegetable platter.

*Vegetable Platter - Falafel, tangierine couscous salad, hummus, tabouleh, lentil salad and marinated olives $10.99*
sunshinecruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #12
amyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinecruise View Post
We go to WDW a few times a year also. One of our new favorite places to eat is the Tangierine Cafe in Morocco at Epcot. I usually get the vegetable platter.

*Vegetable Platter - Falafel, tangierine couscous salad, hummus, tabouleh, lentil salad and marinated olives $10.99*
Thanks for taking the time to reply and put in an item with the price.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
tinkerbye
Mouseketeer

We're going to WDW for the Princess Half and are bringing a lot ourselves. Mainly breakfast and lunch options. That little half fridge in our room will be full.
tinkerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:05 PM   #14
katt789
DIS Veteran

I've always tried to eat relatively healthy at the World, and have tried to eat gluten/dairy free on numerous trips, here's what I suggest for counter service:

Magic Kingdom:
Cosmic Rays-> Turkey Sandwich w/apple slices (instead of fries, it's multigrain bread, turkey, tomato, pesto, provolone cheese, red onion. It's delicious!!)
Columbia Harbor House-> Salmon filet w/veg or rice or whichever
They also have a delicious chicken salad
Tortuga Tavern-> Chicken or Vegetarian Burrito-> chicken, beans, a bit of rice, and you can pick your own toppings. Comes in a tortilla

Epcot:
Sunshine seasons->Variety of fruit & cheese plates, fruit plates, healthy chicken & vegetables,etc.
Morocco Pavilion-> Has some nice slider samplers with felafel, lamb & chicken inside them and various sides
Japan-> Any kind of grilled chicken with rice, or sushi that isn't rolls is awesome for you, or fish & rice/veg
Mexico-> I'm sure has some kind of buritto/fajita stuff that isn't deep fried!

DHS
Starring Rolls-> Sandwiches, turkey or ham with veggies. Though there is a GIANT amount of white bread with them, I usually take off a slice, or rip it in half.
Down near ToT-> Plenty of places you can get a grilled sandwich or salad

AK:
-I would suggest Flame Tree BBQ, as they have lots of grilled chicken and veggie options!

In terms of breakfasts, I like to just get say, a bagel and a side of fruit, or a side of eggs, build your own omelet is great, (even with the yolks, they are good for you!) I will also order the "bounty platter" sometimes, and eat the eggs, a bit of the protein portions (as they're usually greasy) and one of the carb portions and the potatoes

Sandwiches are readily available and delicious all around Disney, but I find sometimes there's just too much bread on them so I end up taking off the top slice and eating it as an "open face" sandwich!

Also look at some of the kids meals for better options, I know they've instigated the "Mickey Check" at some places (IE, Be Our Guest) on the kids meal I got a grilled turkey sandwich on multigrain bread with yam wedge "fries" and some apple sauce. Kids meals are also portioned a lot better, they're much closer to what you should actually be eating, bahaha! Other places you can get say, a little sandwich with apple/carrot slices & grapes!

As for sit down places; I try to sub out anything that has a lot of dairy (thanks to lactose intolerance, booo) as in, roasted or baked potato instead of mashed, no cream sauces, not potatoes at all, just extra veg with the protein.

Also remember that everything is okay for you in moderation, I usually "allow myself one treat" per day that I'm there, whether that's half a red velvet cupcake, or a coke because I need the caffeine, it helps!

Hope this helps & have a magical trip!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #15
amyy

tinkerbye-I am so glad we will have a fridge in our room too. Usually I am not picky about the grocery store we hit up but this time I definitely want one with an excellent fresh fruit section.

kat789-thanks for your detailed post. Some new ideas. I also pretty much go dairy because I am allergic and it triggers my asthma. Taken everyone's suggestions and reading some other threads I am feeling my planning will pay off

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: