Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

Smile Need advice on pre and post cruise hotels and parks

Any advice for this trip plan? My mother and I are taking my girls (ages 5 and 3) on this trip.

fly into MCO - pick up by Disney Shuttle to the Animal Kingdom Lodge
We will be at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and don't plan to do any parks this day. I figured it was the nice of the two hotels and would be more enjoyable as a non-park day. Anyone have advice for a non-park day at AKL?

next morning take the shuttle to Port Canveral for the 3 night Bahamiam cruise. We plan to stay on the ship in Nassau (is this a good idea or will I regret not getting off the boat? I've been to Nassau before and don't feel like spending money on Atlantis)

Once we disembark at Port Canveral take the Disney Shuttle to the Port Orleans Hotel and spend the rest of the day at one of the parks. Magic Kingdom most likely. I thought about switching them and doing the park on the first day but Im not sure If I would want to sit around all day at the POR hotel.

I booked the hotels that way because I was able to get a decent rate on AKL that we likely couldn't have stayed at if we switched them. Should we try and cram in 2 park days? It obviously becomes more expensive with an extra day when I am sure we could entertain ourselves for the day at no extra cost.

anyways. we sail on the 27th of Feb and are getting excited! any advice is welcome. This will be our first cruise!

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

there is so much to do do out of the parks, we have been 4 times 2 weeks each time and still have not done it all, downtown disney is fun, We have stayed at the animal kingdom there are planned activites through out the day there.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
hoosthatmouse
Earning My Ears

that's great to hear! what kinds of activities can be planned at AKL? Are there animal tours that we should sign up for in advance? Im hoping the weather will be okay to enjoy the pool.

Feb 2013 - AKL, 3 Night Bahamian Cruise on Dream, POR
Jan 2013 - WDW Half Marathon

Feb 2012 - Polynesian
Feb 2011 - Polynesian, Wilderness Campground
Oct 2006 - Wilderness Lodge

----

hoosthatmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #4
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

we were there in dec one yr and it was FREEZNG and we are from Canada, so you know it was cold lol we stayed in the hot hub. We still found lots to do. They had crafts and tours (I don't remember signing ) I think it was here is what time this starts meet here. There were story tellers, you can tour the animals on your own. There was a parade for the kids.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

AKL at dusk has AMAZING animals. They also have educators in the public viewing areas to talk to the kids about what they are seeing. You can go to Downtown Disney during the day, swim at AKL, or whatever. Just be at the resort at dawn and dusk to see the animals.

If you wish, you can do a character breakfast the next morning before heading to the cruise terminal. Ride the monorail around the loop if you go to the Contemporary or Poly for breakfast.

No, you won't regret staying on the ship in Nassau. You'll have a great time and there is plenty to do.

Honestly, single park days are very costly and there is plenty to do at WDW without paying park admission. I wouldn't rush to do 2 partial park days. Plan another trip sometime when you can enjoy the parks more fully.

You'll get a list of the activities scheduled at AKL during your stay when you check in. A few have a small charge, most are free. They sometimes have storytellers, musicians, etc.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-23-2013 at 03:36 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:11 PM   #6
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosthatmouse
that's great to hear! what kinds of activities can be planned at AKL? Are there animal tours that we should sign up for in advance? Im hoping the weather will be okay to enjoy the pool.
When you check in, AKL will give you a schedule of all activities such as cookie decorating, talks with the experts, etc. There is also a hidden Mickey Challenge that you can request at the Front Desk. You can view the Uzima Savanna using night vision goggles which is a fun activity. Have a great time; it's an amazing resort!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: