Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM   #31
mamamary
DIS Veteran

Yesterday and today are cold but we have had a pretty mild winter here in Maryland so far.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
Elmo9607
DIS Veteran

This has been a very, mild, dry winter. This one doesn't even crack the top 20 as far as worst winters go. Today is the first day we've gotten ANY measurable snowfall, about 1/2", and I'm about an hour southwest of Chicago.

I'm fairly certain we will be seeing more awful droughts this summer. We NEED the snow. The other day it was windy and I could see the fields blowing away across the roads.

College Program at Cosmic Ray's January 2011-May 2011
Elmo9607 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
willowsnn3
Tagless not by choice but by circumstance

If it doesn't get any worse than this I'll be very happy!! I loved the 'swinter' last year and hoping for the same this go around.

Book Challenge Goal 72/72

willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #34
Micca
You gotta love a great plan like that
Will be spending some time with George Harrison
I have known whack-a-doodles in my day

I think our winter is just a little better than normal, but it's still too cold for me. The winter of 2012 was the best one ever! I think the temps bottomed out at around 50 degrees (for the daily high).

I've grown to hate winter. January-April I just kind of block-out the world.
Micca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #35
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Not here in mid-Michigan. I've only run the snow blower once. 10 days ago it was 60 degrees and we were grilling!

Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #36
mrodgers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz View Post
Not here in mid-Michigan. I've only run the snow blower once. 10 days ago it was 60 degrees and we were grilling!
Pfft.... I'll grill in whatever temperature. If I had some steaks out, I'd be tossing them on the grill tonight at single digit temps.
mrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #37
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMtnFan View Post
Since the start of 2013 this winter has gotten worse than ever. In the last week in parts of the Northern US the Temps have been very cold. I live in Delaware Ohio and right now as I'm typing this it's 9 degrees above zero. And tomorrow night Ohio may get hit with a bad snowstorm depending of the track of the Storm. Can't wait till spring. Brrrrrrrr
It only seems that way because last winter was one of the mildest if not the mildest. It's been a relatively mild one so far for most.
Cannot_Wait_4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #38
NYEmomma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gsandme View Post
I'm in Ohio and really think most of this winter has even unseasonably warm. I'm not loving the zero temperatures, but I think cold snaps are normal. I'm more worried when it isn't cold when and where it should be. The polar bears and all that.
I'm in Ohio too & I'd agree. Yes, these past couple of days have been miserably cold but other than that, I'd say it's been unseasonably warm... with not near enough snow. I was just looking back at photos from when my daughter was 1 (she's 4 now) and there was SOOO much snow! It's been a good 3 years since I've really seen the amount of snow that I thought was typical for around here.

8/82 off-site :: 12/88 off-site :: 2/93 POFQ :: 12/98 off-site :: 10/02 POFQ :: 10/11 POFQ :: 2/15 POR

NYEmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #39
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Not by a looooooooooong shot.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #40
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I'm still waiting on winter! OK so yesterday and today have been a little chilly but other than that it's been quite disappointing as far as winters go. I'm hoping to see winter eventually!
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #41
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusondisney View Post
I guess it's just you! Or maybe you're just young & haven't experienced any really bad winters. Sure the last temps are bad this week, but they have been above average for much of the winter so far. And we're about 24 inches below our average snowfall, I think. All in all, not my worst winter ever. Guess that honor goes to the year we had 6 feet, yes 6 feet of snow between Christmas & New Years Day.

I'll take cold over snow any day!
My guess too was the OP is young. While I may have only been 10 when it happened, I very well remember the blizzard of Jan 78. DH and I both have pictures to prove to our kids, that they haven't seen nothing yet in a snow storm.

DH was far worse off then I was. He's a country boy and they didn't get dug out for weeks. The IL's house sits north/south with a couple miles of corn fields directly to the west of them. Their house was a nice big ol stopping point for all the snow that wind was pushing eastward. He could walk up the drift on the northwest side of the house, onto the roof and across and walk back down on the drift on the southeast side of the house.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #42
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

So far not too bad in Pittsburgh. The only major snow we had was 2 or 3 days after Christmas and that melted when it was in the 60's a couple of weekends ago. I remember when I was a kid there were snow piles all winter long. The last couple days have been cold but I remember days well below zero. I went to work on the -22 day back in 1994.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I'm in the northeast. We've had a few cold days, but it's not anywhere near the "worst winter ever."
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #44
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976

No, we've only had one significant snow event. The worst winter in my lifetime was 2009-10. It started with a blizzard around 12/8. Our (gravel) road from our driveway to the corner filled up with drifts 8 feet tall. When the plows came through they only got one car-width cleared. DH had JUST started his own business with his own semi (like that very week) and the semi was at home. A neighbor brought a big tractor over and cleared enough to the get the semi to town.

From that point on the onslaught never really stopped. Seemed like every week till sometime in March there was another snow, and never any melting. We broke a record for days of continuous snow cover. The county could never open the road any wider. One time my van's side mirror was folded in by the drift at the edge of the road- it was that high and close! Once I came home and it hadn't even snowed but I had to park on the corner on the intersecting road because our road had blown shut completely. DH didn't want to leave our vehicles on the road and the county wouldn't come out at that hour, so he spent 5 hours on our cab-less Farmall tractor clearing enough to get our vehicles home.

The semi never came home till spring- so glad we were able to get it out after the first snow. After that winter, we bought a big tractor with a cab...and it has barely snowed since. I guess if that's what it took it was worth the cost
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD15 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #45
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

It's been cold the past few days and we had one measurable amount of snow in December, but that's it. The local news was talking just last night about the lack of snow and how we are still very much in a drought and how much worse this will make this summer's drought! This is bad, real bad! I hate snow, but we NEED it!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: