Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #151
Jacquie668
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseman View Post
I'm sorry. Maybe I'm a bad parent as all of you are making me out to be.

My two year old son took his autograph book to Mickey, just like he has done dozens of times, including at Epcot the previous day and at Magic Kingdom the day before. The handler asked everyone to have their books out for signatures. Mickey took the book, and when my son asked for his autograph, Mickey shook his head no and put the book behind his back.

That will make a 2 year old cry. I intervened within 10 seconds, but the damage was done.

All that needed to happen was a signature, just like every other character interaction. However, at that point, after I asked Mickey to sign his book, the handler said, Mickey only signs after pictures. By that time, my son is sobbing, asking for a signature. A picture is worthless.

I didn't set these expectations. They were set by the hundreds of character interactions that my kids experienced before this one. My kids don't cry when King Louie can't sign their book. They don't cry when the characters stop at a table next to us at Chef Mickey's then leave for the dancing. They get that. This was different. Maybe I did a bad job of explaining. Maybe it was something you had to experience. But it was jarring enough for me to post because it was so out of the ordinary and affected my trip.
You're not a bad parent and if anyone is implying that then just ignore them. It isn't worth the trouble. Some people just like to wallow in drama and use that drama to hurt and attack others.

As for what happened, I can see how the situation would be negative for you and your son. I do think that some of the actions of Mickey were misunderstood and not intentional to hurt your son, like hiding the book behind his back. I think that was an attempt to be "childlike teasing," but obviously it did not work. You could give feedback officially to Disney, you never know, every little bit of feedback helps.

I can understand and appreciate your point of view OP and yes the situation probably could have been handle better on both sides, but hey we all have bad moments happen. That doesn't make you a bad parent because you made a choice to comfort your child! It just was a bad situation, which I hope never happens for you again!

On a side note, don't feel the trolls! Ignore em!

Quote:
I never lumped any group of people together, or called you specifically anything at all. You presuppose that this thread even called for "opposing views". The OP posted his experience, and asked if it had happened to anyone else. He didn't ask for an analysis of his or his wife's parenting abilities.
Exactly.

Last edited by Jacquie668; 01-23-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #152
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
He's not talking about just your response/reaction. He (or she, i dunno) is talking about several posts combined and the general mentality.
I realize that s/he was speaking in generalities. That was my point. A sweeping generality and baseless condemnation. I'm not saying Disney Apologists don't exist. But that poster appeared to be tarring all of the dissenting posters with the same brush.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #153
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
And because we have voiced a contrary opinion to the OP's actions and opinion, then we must be automatically branding the OP as a terrible parent?
That's what I was thinking too.

I didn't quite agree with the OP's reaction to the situation and it's not the way I would have handled it, but that doesn't mean I stated that this person was a bad parent.

The only point I have is that over-reacting by a parent could cause over-reacting by their child. Remember the anti-drug commercials on TV, "I learned it by watching you!"? That's what comes to mind. Kids, even as young as infants pick up on the moods of their parents and react. Two year olds will unhappy at times, that's life. I'm pretty sure the same child will have situations later in life where plans will change and they'll have to learn how to appropriately deal with it. Would I expect said child to deal with it rationally at two years old? No. That's why it could have been considered a learning opportunity.

This is a discussion board. You can't post ANYTHING without the expectation that somebody, at least one person, will disagree. It's OK to disagree and discuss it. It's OK for somebody to have an opinion that's different from yours.
ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013
Disneyland Hotel - September 2014

Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #154
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOhio View Post
I'm so sorry for your trouble. It is tragic when something doesn't go 100% the way a small child expects. Society should set up all rules to cater to the whims of small children.
I think this IS the problem. Parents go around making things so perfectly perfect for their kids all the time that jr. can't deal when things don't go his way! Kids that realize early on the world doesn't revolve around them will be much better suited to deal with issues when they come up than ones who have lived with the delusion that everything is supposed to be fair and perfect all the time. Parents who pave the way for their kids and make sure they see no injustice are not doing them a favor!

I do believe the pp who posted this was being sarcastic, at least I hope he was!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #155
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
You presuppose that this thread even called for "opposing views". The OP posted his experience, and asked if it had happened to anyone else. He didn't ask for an analysis of his or his wife's parenting abilities.
Do you know what happens when someone posts something on a public forum? People will comment. People will voice opinions. Some of them will be "opposing views", whether the OP wanted them or not. That's what public forums are for. You may not like what you read all the time, but it's the nature of the beast. You may disagree with the substance of a contrary response. But being outraged over the very existence of a dissenting opinion is naive at best.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #156
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

I don't think that the road should be paved but I also know that we all carry expectations and are affected when those expectations aren't met. Yes, we need to learn that skill, and in this instance a simple redirect would have probably settled the issue, but expecting a two year old to not react when something goes awry is a bit much. I just vacationed with a bunch if sick people. Everyday I had to choose to let go of expectations and enjoy what actually is. Surprisingly difficult at 50 some days! And mine was anything but paved!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #157
MikeOhio
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post
I never called you specifically anything at all. You presuppose that this thread even called for "opposing views". The OP posted his experience, and asked if it had happened to anyone else. He didn't ask for an analysis of his or his wife's parenting abilities.

There are a whole lot of people in this thread and others that are SOOOOO in love with Disney that there is just NOOOOO way that any of their employees could do any wrong. Those are the apologists, whether you like the term or not. Its a description of a certain type of person.

I doubt the OP cares whether you personally think he did the right thing in the moment or not. If people only had 2 paragraph glimpses into my daily life, I doubt they'd paint an accurate picture of my parenting skills, or husband(ing) skills, or anything else.

And by the way, I love burned bacon - the crispier the better.
When Disney does something wrong (like terrible ride maintenance) people on the forum jump all over them. I expect alot of disney and criticize them when they mess up (which is fairly often). But in this case Disney did absolutely nothing wrong and saying that doesn't make me an apologist. An apologist excuses bad behavior. Here there was no bad behavior to excuse. Also I'm sure the OP expected comments on the situation considering they posted in on a MESSAGE BOARD.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #158
psac
DIS Veteran

How about they get rid of the whole autograph thing completely. That would really speed things up in the lines, and prevent incidents like this. Pictures make sense. Autographs? nahh.
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #159
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Spoiler alert: You guys know that Mickey is just a person in a costume, right?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:02 PM   #160
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post

WHAT?!?!?!?!? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013
Disneyland Hotel - September 2014

Old 01-23-2013, 12:06 PM   #161
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac
How about they get rid of the whole autograph thing completely. That would really speed things up in the lines, and prevent incidents like this. Pictures make sense. Autographs? nahh.
Nah! Then those people would be in the ride lines!
Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #162
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Old 01-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #163
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
Best post of the thread.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:44 PM   #164
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

I am a little bit offended that I cannot post an opinion "siding" with a Disney employee without somehow becoming a "Disney Apologist". I just cannot understand why discussing the issues that a character who is filly encapsulated in a thick costume that blocks sight and hearing is wrong. I just do not.I kept my opinions to myself in regards to the order of how things should occur and who I thought was the "regimented" one in the OP's family but what the heck. Just from the OP's first post with the detailed order I figure that he was just as invested, if not more so, in getting the signature first.

By all means, write Disney. If there is supposed to be an order, let's make sure there is never a deviation. No more spontaneous pranks with Donald or Goofy. No more posing like twins if a child is wearing her Minnie dress. No more Cinderella dragging a shy Grandpa to pose in her photo like Prince Charming, all to get another giggle from a shy little Princess. And if the character fails to follow the protocol.......off with her Head.............literally!

I have no idea what really happened here, I bet the character was not really aware what was happening and he handler was just trying to explain what the character had tried to do to the OP. The kid was crying and the OP was peeved and before anyone could correct the problem the OP hauled the family away, thus ensuring the "sour" taste would never be rectified. He and the child left.

I have been taking DGD to Disney since she was 4 and while I cannot claim that she has the experience the 2 YO had I can say she was a character hound. WE spent more time in lines and meals than we did on attractions and we loved every minute. Not all interactions were as spectacular as others but I can honestly say that some of our favorites were the ones that just took off. Pluto chasing her all around the AK parking lot was just one that never followed any procedure we had ever seen but she is talking about it 7 years later. I would hate to see a hard and fast rule characters need to maintain in Order to keep from losing a job. I also would hate to think that if the problem that the OP experienced happened because the character and handler were never given an opportunity to process what was occurring, changes such as firings and increased rigidity happen. I love Disney becasue of the unexpected, it is the magic for my family. I do not expect perfection, it does not exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psac View Post
When my own children were young we took them to WDW. This was 25 years ago and there were no autographs in the parks. It was a cluster. I know that you are probably teasing about the autographs but they really make a difference for a lot of children's experiences.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #165
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
Do you know what happens when someone posts something on a public forum? People will comment. People will voice opinions. Some of them will be "opposing views", whether the OP wanted them or not. That's what public forums are for. You may not like what you read all the time, but it's the nature of the beast. You may disagree with the substance of a contrary response. But being outraged over the very existence of a dissenting opinion is naive at best.
Did I sound outraged? I didn't mean to sound outraged. Maybe disappointed would be a better word.

I'm not sure exactly how someone "opposes" a person's experience. The OP had what they perceived to be a bad experience. There's not really a lot of opposition there. Can't tell them that they shouldn't feel a particular way. Did you read the story? I mean, dang, that would stink to have had that happen.

I thought several of the peoples comments that didn't particularly understand why the OP was so upset, or were confused about some of the OP's wording (as I was), were understandable. Maybe you don't even think Disney did anything wrong. Okay, fine, no problem. But, man, there were a LOT of people just being outright mean and really rough on OP. I'm surprised that you can't see that.

And there's no reason for that - its irrational defense of Disney - apologist-style. Not everyone who posted in "opposition" of the OP acted this way - but there is surely an unfair amount of piling on a person for merely sharing their experience. I don't know, seems pretty plain to me.

If you are personally offended, and feel that I called you a bad name, know that I'm ONLY directing that title of apologist to those who unfairly and without regard to their fellow human being, defend Disney no matter the circumstance, without a full understanding, when its not asked for, and typically in an inexplicably arrogant and often rude fashion. There were several on this thread. If you're not one, don't worry about it - no disrespect intended.

It wasn't a "baseless condemnation" - there were 9 pages of "base".

And for the record, I'm not even close to one-sided - I stated quite clearly in my original post that in reading the OP, there appear to be some issues on both sides.

Last edited by starjazz; 01-23-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: