Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

22 Year Old Warrant???

That story was so weird to me....was it just because the warrant was from Brevard County near Port Canaveral? What if it was Boston, would they have still arrested her and then extradited her to Massachusetts? She can't be the first person with a super old warrant that went on a cruise.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
cah5525
Mouseketeer

What I can make of it...a warrant never expires. They will hold you, even for a misdemeanor warrant, if it is from the county or, from within the state. If the warrant had been issued from any other state... They never would have detained her. She needs a lawyer - no way would she have had to spend more than a few hours locked up if she had a lawyer!
Old 01-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
k5jmh

DIS Tech Talk Guru
Ask me about Alpaca poop!
I want to pour that Sauce all over my body

Many counties, and municipalities do not share warrant information outside of the area the warrant was issued. This is a limitation of the databases or manual files that the municipality uses. The Police Dept. I worked for only had a local database of warrants that had to be confirmed with a physical file that was in a drawer. The county that my Police Dept. was in had an online warrant look search. The State has it's warrants attached to the Drivers License look-ups. The only warrants that were sent across state lines were state warrants both Misdemeanor and Felony. Florida has apparently centralized their warrant databases.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
jcb
always emerging from hibernation

It appears the cruise passenger list gets run though a national database (NCIC, I guess) to check for terrorists and any other outstanding issues. I'm rather surprised to see the state/county taking action as I would have assumed the feds checked the passenger lists. For all I know, the feds could have tipped off the county.

I know of at least one other instance were Florida local law enforcement (the city shall be kept nameless) checked out of state criminal warrants and made an arrest based upon information that was several years old.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb View Post
It appears the cruise passenger list gets run though a national database (NCIC, I guess) to check for terrorists and any other outstanding issues. I'm rather surprised to see the state/county taking action as I would have assumed the feds checked the passenger lists. For all I know, the feds could have tipped off the county.

I know of at least one other instance were Florida local law enforcement (the city shall be kept nameless) checked out of state criminal warrants and made an arrest based upon information that was several years old.
If the feds were the ones that saw the warrant, would they have known what is was issued for? I'm just curious...if say, they knew the charges were more serious, like armed robbery or something, would they have arrested her before the cruise? Not to sound dramatic, but I'm picturing them going "Hey, it's just for a stolen pack of cigarettes, let her enjoy the cruise, they can get her on the way out."
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #6
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

I have heard of this happening once before actually, and it did involve a cruise ship scenario. A warrant is a warrant; it does not expire so if you broke a rule, you will receive a consequence when they catch up to you.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb

It was not Disney security that checked out of state criminal warrants lol

It has to be the Feds because where they arrested her if it before the customs part that means local police couldn't arrest someone without cbp knowing about it. If it after customs then it fair game also unless it against federal law they won't arrest most times.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
dominiondad
Mouseketeer

When a warrant is entered into NCIC, the submitting agency must also enter a code regarding their willingness to pay for extradition. They can basically say "don't hold her because we won't pay to have her shipped here", "hold her if she's within 100 miles", or "grab her, we'll come and get her regardless of where she is". Every warrant is different as it can depend on the person's record, the crime alleged, and the budget of the police department.
Just guessing, but the arrest may not have been made at the beginning of the cruise because they were waiting for confirmation from the entering agency. By the time they got it, the cruise was under way, so they grabbed her later.
dominiondad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
SuperTim
Mouseketeer

Its nothing new for someone to be picked up on a warrant. I'm a Police Officer in Missouri and can't count the number of times that I have check

Disney Wonder 7-19-09
Disney Wonder 5-30-2010
WDW 2012
Disney Dream 6-10-2012
Disney Fantasy 5-18-2013
WDW 2014
next cruise: Carnival Elation 9-11-2014
Disney Dream B2B 5-18-2015 and 5-22-2015

SuperTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
SuperTim
Mouseketeer

Its nothing new for someone to be picked up on a warrant. I'm a Police Officer in Missouri and can't count the number of times that I have checked someone for their driving status, during a traffic stop, and learned of a warrant from another part of the state or another state. If a warrant is found and the issuing agency wants to expedite the person then they have to be arrested at that time. The wording on a warrant says the officer "shall" make the arrest, not if the officer feels like it or if it is convenient for all parties involved. The officer, even the customs officer, has no choice.

Disney Wonder 7-19-09
Disney Wonder 5-30-2010
WDW 2012
Disney Dream 6-10-2012
Disney Fantasy 5-18-2013
WDW 2014

Old 01-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTim View Post
Its nothing new for someone to be picked up on a warrant. I'm a Police Officer in Missouri and can't count the number of times that I have check
Don't they check for warrents and such whenever your license is run?
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
SuperTim
Mouseketeer

Yeah, its all part of the same process. When you enter a persons name and date of birth, or their social or drivers license number, the system automatically searches through the Department of Revenue for their driving status as well as NCIC and, in Missouri, MULES for any warrants or protection orders. If a warrant is found a message is sent to the agency that entered the warrant asking for an updated bond amount, charges, and if they are willing to expedite the person from the location they were found. New York won't want to pay an officer to come to California to transport a person for a Failure to Appear warrant on a Speeding ticket, but if the suspect was missing court on a Murder then they are more willing to pay the money to transport. Usually the extra fees for the transport are added in with the court costs so the convicted person pays the city/state back.

Disney Wonder 7-19-09
Disney Wonder 5-30-2010
WDW 2012
Disney Dream 6-10-2012
Disney Fantasy 5-18-2013
WDW 2014

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: