Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #181
Jannephotog
Mouseketeer

Glad I found this thread too....I'm thinking about 2 years out (after I finish up work on my special education masters & the work I have to do right after for the grant I'm on) about moving down to the Orlando area with my (probably soon to be) future DH... (crazy to write that! We'll see how this summer goes...).

My Disney passion has been awakened since my trip back and I'm looking to find a job with Disney, hopefully being able to put my masters to use somewhere with the company (we'll see!). So for that we'd move down from TN...we'll keep up with these threads and find out what else I can learn about moving down to this lovely area.
Jannephotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:27 PM   #182
prplgiraffe89
Earning My Ears

Just subscribed to this thread. My husband and I are moving to Florida probably around October/November of this year and I've been researching places to live. He hopes to get a job with Disney (within food service/banquets) and I'll be looking for anyplace that will hire (same industry but I also have degree in baking and pastry).

We have a friend that works for disney and lives in Clermont so I know that would be a nice place to live, but we will need an apartment to start out. Anyone have any advice on some good complexes around the disney area that aren't shady?
Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #183
cousinorville3
Earning My Ears

Look up:

Camden World Gateway
Abaco Key
Alexandria Parc Vue

These are all apartment complexes near Disney and majority of the residents are cast members.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:27 PM   #184
prplgiraffe89
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinorville3
Look up:

Camden World Gateway
Abaco Key
Alexandria Parc Vue

These are all apartment complexes near Disney and majority of the residents are cast members.
I looked up all three on apartmentratings.com and 1st looks good, if not a little expensive, but the other two have terrible reviews! Thank you for your help though! Do you live in any of these?
Old 02-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #185
snjmorrison
Mouseketeer

Loving this thread. It is so exciting to hear about those of you who have moved or are planning to move. My husband and I have been wanting to move for several yrs, but our children didn't want to leave friends. We only have one left in high school, and he has decided he would like to move...woohoo. I'm a speech language pathologist and hope I don't have to take a pay cut. We live in Louisiana, so I think salaries are probably very comparable. I work for home health companies and see private clients also. My husband can live anywhere with his job. I'm looking into dual enrollment programs bc my son would like to participate in one that offers computer/gaming/technology programs.
snjmorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #186
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

DH and I are planning to move to FL in about 6 years. We are waiting for both girls to graduate from HS then we will retire and move. I grew up in NY and absolutely hated the winters there, now live in VA which is where DH is from and the winters here are still really cold with some snow. I want so badly to live where it is warm year round. I struggle with arthritis, so the heat will be good. I don't worry too much about humidity; I had it in NY and the hot humid days of summer in Williamsburg are brutal, so no worries there. And as far as dealing with tourists ~ Um HELLO, I live in Colonial Williamsburg!!! Already dealing with them!!! Just so ready to move.

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #187
loveysbydesign
I can pinch a penny so hard you can hear it scream for miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
DH and I are planning to move to FL in about 6 years. We are waiting for both girls to graduate from HS then we will retire and move. I grew up in NY and absolutely hated the winters there, now live in VA which is where DH is from and the winters here are still really cold with some snow. I want so badly to live where it is warm year round. I struggle with arthritis, so the heat will be good. I don't worry too much about humidity; I had it in NY and the hot humid days of summer in Williamsburg are brutal, so no worries there. And as far as dealing with tourists ~ Um HELLO, I live in Colonial Williamsburg!!! Already dealing with them!!! Just so ready to move.
We live in PA and I would love to move to FL! If I could talk dh into it we'd be there fater then a heartbeat!
On a different note we are planning to visit CW for the 1st time. Planning to come the end of June. any tips for us?
Our kids will be 14, 10 and 6 when we visit!

May 2006-1st family trip to WDW! Loved Windsor Hills! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$1800
Nov. 13-22 2007-2nd trip to WDW with Baby Hartley #3-it's a boy!!! Total cost including airfare, condo. rental at WH, park tix and rental car =$2200
May 2009- 3 nights in a 2 bedroom at SSR and then our 1st Disney cruise on the Magic! Total cost for 2 Cat. 12's -upgraded to Cat. 10's=$2900

June 11-20 2010- Our super cheap, surprising the kids, 1st time driving, celebrating Ryan's 3rd birthday trip! Total cost=$950
Nov.12-22, 2010 Took our in-laws along for their 1st trip ever! Stayed at Indian Creek and had a blast!
Oct.10-15, 2011 Crazy Columbus Crowds(did YES program) & cruised on the Dream Oct. 16-20
Oct. 19-29, 2012 Our trip re-do w/the in-laws, swam w/ the manatees & drove home through Sandy!
June 21-30, 2013 Celebrating our 17th anniversary!
loveysbydesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #188
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

So excited! I get to reunite with DH in only 10 days! Cannot wait to see our new apartment down in Naples! I haven't told my students yet that I'm leaving at the end of the year, so I'm being particularly vague when they ask me what I'm doing for February break. I'm also going to get my Florida driver's license and take a little drive up to Disney to buy my Florida resident annual pass!

Our kitty, Zuzu, flew down on Delta last Sunday like a champ and is settling in just fine. The downside is that it's awfully quiet around here without DH, the dog and Zuzu! Thank goodness DD came home last weekend from college for a visit.

These next 10 days are going to DRAG by!!!
Old 02-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #189
L-Harper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
So excited! I get to reunite with DH in only 10 days! Cannot wait to see our new apartment down in Naples! I haven't told my students yet that I'm leaving at the end of the year, so I'm being particularly vague when they ask me what I'm doing for February break. I'm also going to get my Florida driver's license and take a little drive up to Disney to buy my Florida resident annual pass!

Our kitty, Zuzu, flew down on Delta last Sunday like a champ and is settling in just fine. The downside is that it's awfully quiet around here without DH, the dog and Zuzu! Thank goodness DD came home last weekend from college for a visit.

These next 10 days are going to DRAG by!!!
Aww! How exciting for you! I hope these next 10 days are super speedy for you!

Please vote for my photo in the DIS photo contest! {HERE}
L-Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:02 AM   #190
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Harper View Post
Aww! How exciting for you! I hope these next 10 days are super speedy for you!
Thank you!!! I can't wait to see my DH and my fur babies!
Old 04-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #191
aurora61
Earning My Ears

I'm also thinking of moving to Florida so reading all the posts have been very helpful. I'm still researching where to move to. I work from home so finding a job isn't an issue. The heat and humidity won't bother me too much as I'm used to hot summers where I live now. I am single and would probably just move to an apartment. Anyone have any suggestions on finding an apartment in the area?
aurora61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #192
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora61 View Post
I'm also thinking of moving to Florida so reading all the posts have been very helpful. I'm still researching where to move to. I work from home so finding a job isn't an issue. The heat and humidity won't bother me too much as I'm used to hot summers where I live now. I am single and would probably just move to an apartment. Anyone have any suggestions on finding an apartment in the area?
Where are you thinking of looking?
Old 04-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #193
aurora61
Earning My Ears

So far I've been researching St. Cloud, Winter Haven, Auburndale, Clermont and Ocala. Any suggestions appreciated
aurora61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #194
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora61 View Post
So far I've been researching St. Cloud, Winter Haven, Auburndale, Clermont and Ocala. Any suggestions appreciated
We are currently in the same search. Part of our criteria is to be within 30 minutes of WDW and not in a tourist area. We didn't want to be in a community with lots of short-term rentals because we don't want new neighbors every week.

That leaves out the far parts of St. Cloud (greater than 30 minutes to get to WDW) and the nearer parts may be in a touristy area. Parts of Clermont are also out for the same reason, but the stretch near 27 and 50 is looking pretty good.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #195
sailors_wfe
Mouseketeer

we JUST did this-we lived in Va where DH was in the navy, after 14 years he got involuntarily separated with 2 weeks notice. We had a vacation planned that we decided to keep (DVC on points, no parks planned) and I realized I really wanted to move south. DH had no job leads anywhere and no direction to go in (his navy job didn't really translate to a civilian job) so I took my skills and got a decent job in central Fl and moved down, 2 weeks later the rest of my family followed. Now DH is hunting for a job (no luck yet unfortunately) and I have a decent job close to Daytona. Eventually I want to move over to the Clearmont area or somewhere between Orlando and Tampa but right now it's nice to be in Florida living my dream. We did it all in 2 weeks (found a place to live, moved ect) I got lucky with my job and we feel like we're in the right place. Best part: We've been to the parks every weekend since we moved

DH Me DD (3 years) DS (1 year)
Completed Trips: June 03 AS Sports Nov 04-POP Oct 05-POP Oct 06-ASMu Oct 07-POP Jan 08-SSR May 08-OKW Sept 08-SSR Jan 09 SSR Sept 09 BLT/AKV March 10 THV Thanksgiving 10-BLT Oct 11 SSR Spring 12 Off Property
Upcoming TripsJan 13 SSR
sailors_wfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: