Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #121
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360 View Post
I wasn't talking about you! Sheesh!
If you reread your previous post, I think you will see that it appeared as though you were talking to me. You went from "she" to "you", so that is why I was confused. Sorry if I offended you in some way.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #122
LittleStinkerbelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirsangel View Post
I agree! Why does a 2 year old need a dozen "Mickey Mouse" autographs? Just get one, or one per autograph book, or one per trip. We are not character autograph people though so maybe I don't get it.
This is what we do. There are barely enough pages in the books as it is to get one per character let alone duplicates. With that said, we do go for pictures multiple times because I'm always on a quest for that "perfect" shot.

Next up: Disneyland, Spring 2015!

DFTVR - Memories Collection, October 2010 at Conch Key Marina
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #123
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Hmmm......maybe his giant white Mickey hand was falling off and he had to throw it behind real quick to make sure it didn't ruin the magic? There may have been a "the show must go on" situation going on.

If that's a little too far fetched...lol....I'm thinking maybe Mickey was trying to get the little one to smile by teasing him a little. I hope this poor little kid doesn't spend his whole life getting upset over the little things in life like this, he'll be awfully stressed out! There's going to be times in life when things won't go as planned.

As much as Disney puts into ensuring our trips are as magical as possible, they can't cover every single thing for every single guest out there. I would have thought changing the order up a little bit would have been OK. This goes to prove how great Disney World is, that we expect EVERY detail to be perfect, because we're used to it.

I understand that it just plain sucks that the day had to start off this way! Hopefully the rest of the day went smoothly.
ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013
Disneyland Hotel - September 2014

Last edited by tlkgt76; 01-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #124
Kellykins1218
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer View Post
That is why my two year old has parents. So I can teach her that she cannot get her way all of the time.

I've been BOO'ED by Forum Jumper!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #125
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsDuck
Ditto.

Yeah, I'm not really understanding the issue. Sometimes, in big corporations, things change. Like the autograph/picture policy. Big whoop. I'm sorry your little ones were confused but I don't see how this could be labeled as a "terrible" interaction.
Well, it was terrible for them. What is so hard to understand about that? I would get over it, personally, but they are allowed to have feelings about it.

Fireable offense? That is whacked!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #126
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmav View Post
Wow. Kids cry when meeting characters ALL THE TIME. Especially 2 year olds. I imagine Mickey/handler had no idea why this particular 2 year old was crying, almost from the instant that the kid was put forth in front of Mickey.

1. Shocked this is posted here.
2. Shocked so many people have such a strong opinion.
3. Glad I don't work in customer service!
I agree - I'm betting Mickey deals with a crying 2 year old every 5 minutes. I'm sure the OP heard his grown up 2 year old cry "please, Mickey, can I have your autograph first?" However, to the rest of the world, I'm sure it sounded like "wah! wah! wah!"

I've been around enough hysterical 2 year olds to state that they all sound pretty much the same - incoherent, except maybe to the parents.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM   #127
Srbright
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six

If you went to a restaurant and asked the waitress to bring coffee with your meal and she said no, she personally brings water first and won't bring coffee to dessert. Would you just go with the flow and agree you need to be flexible?
Ever been to a traditional French restaurant or a boutique restaurant? When they think it is part of the dining experience then absolutely they won't serve it. I've been to places that won't serve you anything but what they want you to have....and no one storms off angry.

Stacy
September 2012 - POR (6N/7D)
Feb 2008 - ASMo (3N/4D)
Old 01-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #128
ariel53098
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Also OP, please never meet Jack Sparrow, OK? At least not until they are much older.
LOL when DS was five, we went to DL and he was on a mission to collect autographs. We had fun doing it and then we ended up on Tom Sawyer's island and he saw Jack Sparrow. Jack was doing his thing and DS was following him with his autograph and pen ready. Jack was being Jack and there was a group of us following him enjoying his antics. Anytime Jack would stop, DS would stand off to the side and stare him down holding the book and pen. Jack acted too drunk to understand and finally after 20 or so minutes Jack too the book and almost fell out of character when he said "you get this for your determination. I have never seen a kid wait that patiently for so long!" and he signed the book. 6.5 years later, it's his favorite autograph!
Rachel
WDW Magic Kingdom Fall 1980, WDW Epcot Fall 1986, WDW Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Spring 1991,WDW All 4 parks Dixie Landings February 2000, Tokyo Disneyland about 10 times from April 2003 to March 2006, DLR, Disneyland Hotel, September 2007,Disney Cruise Line, Wonder, December 2008, WDW All 4 parks POR, April/May 2009,October 2009 WDW-Port Orleans Riverside,May 2010 DCL, Wonder AND WDW POR,June 2011 Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Hotel
FUTURE TRIPS
February 2013 WDW Art of Animation
Old 01-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #129
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

As I said to my nephew that had a Disney complaint " If this is the worst that happens to you then you are doing ok"

Sorry your interaction was not magical for you. In all the years I've been to Disney I don't even remember the order it's not a big deal to me and I guess my kids either. Now that you know things change it would help to explain to your kids and maybe the handler if that is possible.

As someone whose children are grow and I mean 18 and up yours are still quite young. These things happen. There will be more opportunities.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #130
ElCapitanAmerica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel53098 View Post
Anytime Jack would stop, DS would stand off to the side and stare him down holding the book and pen. Jack acted too drunk to understand and finally after 20 or so minutes Jack too the book and almost fell out of character when he said "you get this for your determination. I have never seen a kid wait that patiently for so long!" and he signed the book. 6.5 years later, it's his favorite autograph!
Rachel
LOVE this story!!!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #131
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Sorry OP, but I think you have a valid reason to get a full refund for your trip. Please ignore everyone else. If it was my child they would be so devastated. I hope this "Mickey" never gets the privilege of wearing the uniform again. How dare they kill the magic!
I don't know if my sarcasm meter is just that far off, or if you really do just appear in controversial threads to

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #132
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam81 View Post
Sorry OP, but I think you have a valid reason to get a full refund for your trip. Please ignore everyone else. If it was my child they would be so devastated. I hope this "Mickey" never gets the privilege of wearing the uniform again. How dare they kill the magic!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #133
starjazz
DIS Veteran

I see a couple of things going on in this thread.

One - I see a parent of a 2 yo that had a fit at Disney. Thats gotta be disappointing, no matter the reason. The parent blames the experience on the CMs, right or wrong, because that is how she perceived the situation. She decides to share - either to gain sympathy, or help other parents prepare, or just vent.

Two - Until this thread, I was not aware of how deep the Disney apologists have their mentality ingrained in their heads. Automatically, this parent is a terrible parent. All of the apologists are far better parents that would NEVER allow this event to happen with their 2 yo. And there is NO way that any blame could be placed on the beloved Mickey.

My reaction is this -

1. I think the OP is slightly off - I mean, the first post talks about how "grown up" the 5 and 2 yo are, and how "experienced" they are with character m&g's. Later she explaines how the 2 yo has "dozens" of Mickey autographs (that equates to Mickey signing his book once per month for the 2 yo's entire life, btw). Okay, so that stuff isn't quite normal, but it could be lost in translation. I'm giving the OP a bit of benefit of the doubt here. It does seem as thought the CM handler could have asked Mickey to sign the book once the CM observed the trouble. I mean, did OP explain to CM that this is what the 2 yo wanted/needed? Probably it all happened so fast that its hard to recall exactly. But I do understand leaving the scene the way OP did. If my 2 yo is throwing a fit, I try to remove her from the situation and calm her down. I doubt I'd make everyone else there gaze on our show and wait while I try to get the 2 yo "picture ready".

2. As mentioned above, I certainly think there is blame to go around, but holy cow, some of you defending Mickey here like he's family or something....some of y'all are just as kooky if not more than the OP appeared to be. We're talking about a parent here, a real person, who had a rough go. And some of you are berating her like she shot Mickey in the face or something. This Mickey was a kid in a costume. No chance he did anything wrong here? Or at least the CM handler did? I think a little empathy would be expected here. I too, think OP has responsibility, but I feel for her, and wonder if it couldn't have been handled better by the CMs. They make concessions for our parenting faults all the time.

Parenting, especially a 2 yo and 5 yo, is difficult enough, much less in the chaos that often is Disney. Even the most skilled, trained, schooled parent is gonna have some slip ups in those moments. I think the CMs had the ability to help this situation out, if not quell it all together. And maybe the parent didn't do all she could, but the CMs don't appear to have either.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #134
smitch425
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz View Post

One - I see a parent of a 2 yo that had a fit at Disney. Thats gotta be disappointing, no matter the reason. The parent blames the experience on the CMs, right or wrong, because that is how she perceived the situation. She decides to share - either to gain sympathy, or help other parents prepare, or just vent.

Two - Until this thread, I was not aware of how deep the Disney apologists have their mentality ingrained in their heads. Automatically, this parent is a terrible parent. All of the apologists are far better parents that would NEVER allow this event to happen with their 2 yo. And there is NO way that any blame could be placed on the beloved Mickey.

My reaction is this -

1. I think the OP is slightly off - I mean, the first post talks about how "grown up" the 5 and 2 yo are, and how "experienced" they are with character m&g's. Later she explaines how the 2 yo has "dozens" of Mickey autographs (that equates to Mickey signing his book once per month for the 2 yo's entire life, btw). Okay, so that stuff isn't quite normal, but it could be lost in translation. I'm giving the OP a bit of benefit of the doubt here. It does seem as thought the CM handler could have asked Mickey to sign the book once the CM observed the trouble. I mean, did OP explain to CM that this is what the 2 yo wanted/needed? Probably it all happened so fast that its hard to recall exactly. But I do understand leaving the scene the way OP did. If my 2 yo is throwing a fit, I try to remove her from the situation and calm her down. I doubt I'd make everyone else there gaze on our show and wait while I try to get the 2 yo "picture ready".

2. As mentioned above, I certainly think there is blame to go around, but holy cow, some of you defending Mickey here like he's family or something....some of y'all are just as kooky if not more than the OP appeared to be. We're talking about a parent here, a real person, who had a rough go. And some of you are berating her like she shot Mickey in the face or something. This Mickey was a kid in a costume. No chance he did anything wrong here? Or at least the CM handler did? I think a little empathy would be expected here. I too, think OP has responsibility, but I feel for her, and wonder if it couldn't have been handled better by the CMs. They make concessions for our parenting faults all the time.

Parenting, especially a 2 yo and 5 yo, is difficult enough, much less in the chaos that often is Disney. Even the most skilled, trained, schooled parent is gonna have some slip ups in those moments. I think the CMs had the ability to help this situation out, if not quell it all together. And maybe the parent didn't do all she could, but the CMs don't appear to have either.
The OP is a he, not a she.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #135
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by starjazz

My reaction is this -

This is the best post in this whole thread kudos
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: