Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #721
ColoradoLime
Pure Disney Lover

QUESTION OF THE DAY - WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 23RD:

We're closing in on the end of the month. How are you doing? What are you struggling with and what are your successes?

Good morning all! I have a crazy, busy, non-stop day today at worked that starts with a 2 hour meeting and ends with a big giant sales party at which I was roped into being part of a flash mob dancing Gangnam style.

So this is a quick drive by question and I'll pop back in later to follow up when I can.

WDW: 2009 (Caribbean Beach Resort)
Disneyland CA: 2013 (HoJo Anaheim)

Join the best darn May/June 2013 DLR Trip Planning Thread! Click HERE

ColoradoLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #722
PlutoBaby
Treat stress like a dog;pee on it and walk away.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoLime View Post

We're closing in on the end of the month. How are you doing? What are you struggling with and what are your successes?

Frustrated with the crazy amount of time it's taken to lose 18 pounds (a YEAR! ) but at least the scale has continued to go down, even if it is at a snail's pace . I'm 7 pounds away from my goal weight that I set last year and it still seems so far away. But I feel good, the miles are adding up, and the pant size is going down . I continue to be grateful for support of friends (both physical and DIS ), and am glad to at least feel accountable to someone other than myself .

She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion.
PlutoBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #723
cgai729
Earning My Ears

I'm new and ready to loose for the world

Hi, i started only this past Sunday, Jan. 20th, but I feel inspired and I think joining this wonderful group will help. I am following the Atkins plan. I like meat and veggies, so it works for me.
I am currently at my highest weight
we have a trip planned for Sept 9 - 12, 2013 staying at Old Key West with the military discount and looking forward to having a great time with 6 adults
cgai729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #724
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgai729 View Post
Hi, i started only this past Sunday, Jan. 20th, but I feel inspired and I think joining this wonderful group will help. I am following the Atkins plan. I like meat and veggies, so it works for me.
we have a trip planned for Sept 9 - 12, 2013 staying at Old Key West with the military discount and looking forward to having a great time with 6 adults
Welcome! Feel free to introduce yourself if you'd like.

I will add you to the first page.

It is your choice, since there is one week left in January, if you want to set a goal for January, or if you want to jump in and start with a goal in February.

If you decide to set a goal for January, just send me a pm with your starting weight and goal (in pounds).

February goals will be set when Lisah starts the February thread.

BTW--I love OKW and I think September is a great time to stay there!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM   #725
pjlla
<><
Only took one try and voila
Likes to be barefoot at every possible occasion

Quote:

I think I'm doing okay! My goal for January was an aggressive goal for me, since I am basically within my maintenance range and lose weight very slowly. But I am getting there!

Struggling with....balancing my calories throughout the day and eating less carbs even as I try to reduce my meat intake. But both of those things are a work in progress.

BTW..... love to see video of the flashmob!

Quote:
Welcome, welcome! My DH is an Atkins guy and has been for a few years now, so if you have any questions or are looking for any recipes, just let me know!

Hola friends! Day is FLYING by! Laundry is all folded and put away except for the loads currently in the washer and dryer. I am supposed to work the next two days, so I want to be caught up.

I PROMISED myself that I would be doing my web training during lunch, so I need to do that NOW! And TM time still hasn't happened.................P

WDW 12/1974, WDW 03/1983, WDW 05/1992 (with DH on HONEYMOON ), WDW 01/2002 (first family trip to WDW), WDW 01/2004 (2nd family trip), DL and DCA 07/2005 (first family trip to DL!), WDW 06/2007... DD gets to go without us! WDW & Discovery Cove 04/2008 (First stay at Pop ), WDW 01/10 DD goes without us AGAIN! , WDW 05/10 Mother/Son trip WDW 05/11 Mother/Daughter trip !! WDW 05/13 Mother/Daughter trip #2 celebrating GRADUATION!
pjlla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #726
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

QOTD?

Doing? I have to say eating wise we are doing great. DH is eating healthy foods along with me.

Success?

Really focused energy on staying within 17-20grams of sat fat daily.
Eating at least 3+ servings of fruit and veggies daily.
Switched to diet soda, which is BIG for me.

Struggling?

Exercise, it is a work in progress.

So far hopeful. I am not really tracking calories yet but I have lost a couple of pounds.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:37 PM   #727
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyfigment View Post
I slipped again last night. I worked overtime and was just craving carbs when i got home so i had some egg noodles and homemade french fries. Im so disappointed. And because the weather is so cold i can't get out for my walk,
Oh, I know these days!!! I have started to develop a few strategies to deal with evenings like this, they don't always work for me, but at least I do feel less bad afterwards because I at least tried.

The first is: first thing when you get home, get a largish carrot out of the fridge, peel it and eat it. It isn't absolutely calorie free, but my theory is that the sugar in the carrot (after all it is slightly sweet) helps with the carb craving. I also get a large one and don't cut it up because then it is actually more work eating it. Munching on it prevents me from eating something else.

Second, also think how well you have been drinking during the day. I am usually someone who drinks a lot, 2 litres are never a challenge for me. But recently I figured out that my carb cravings are worse on days when I did not drink enough.

Third: It takes time until the carbs you ate are signalled to the brain. For me it takes about 30 minutes. Therefore when I start eating I set the kitchen timer on 30 minutes and I am not allowed back into the kitchen before the timer goes off. Mostly I am very disappointed when I finish eating that I did have such a small portion. But by the time the timer goes off, I realize that I am indeed full.

However, then there are days when none of this works. Then the only thing that helps is that if the evening went wrong, to just make sure that the next day goes better again.

Hope this helps a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike View Post
Hope you get your run in!
Yes, I did!! 5.5 km. I am still loving my new shoes - the make me want to go for a run every day...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2010 TR 2010 PTR 2011 TR Dining Reviews:2009 2008 2007
From the Sea to the World - Spring 2013 Trip Report - DCL and WDW
Flossbolna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #728
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I seem to have a very good month so far as I have lost more than I expected so far. However, I still think that some of this might be just a fluke.

I am still struggling with eating lower calorie meals. I am within the calorie range that I have most of the days and if I am over it is only by a little. However, I usually end up at the upper end of the range and would love to eat a little less.

I guess the only way to acchieve this would be by packing my lunch. However, lunch for me is also a very important social event. A few times a week I meet a number of very good friends for lunch and I would hate to miss out on that. The good thing is that mainly we go to a cafeteria that always has some healthy low calorie dish and usually a good selection of lean meat - and you can chose any side you want, I often get rice and broccoli. But then there are the days when I am so tempted by something delicious (i.e. fried) and am tired of my chicken with rice and broccoli...

I am also struggling with getting in the exercise. I am getting some exercise, but would love to be better at that...
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder
Old 01-23-2013, 02:48 PM   #729
Flossbolna
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
QOTD?

Doing? I have to say eating wise we are doing great. DH is eating healthy foods along with me.

Success?

Really focused energy on staying within 17-20grams of sat fat daily.
Eating at least 3+ servings of fruit and veggies daily.
Switched to diet soda, which is BIG for me.

Struggling?

Exercise, it is a work in progress.

So far hopeful. I am not really tracking calories yet but I have lost a couple of pounds.
I think you do have a great attitude about this. One of the things I noticed in the past when I failed in my weight loss adventures was that I started to change everything at once. You are smart about picking up a few healthier habits at a time, get used to them and then tackle the next one. It might not be the fastest way to lose weight but hopefully lead to a succesful positive change in your overall lifestyle.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #730
Eliza32
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I'm doing well with the weight loss and the shopping/cooking planning, not so well with the exercise. Only 2 more weeks at my evening university course though, then no excuses not to do something each evening!
Eliza32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #731
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Qotd

Im trying to track everything i eat. Exercise right now is tough because of the weather, which is single digits right now with snow on the ground.
Brrrr! Hope it warms up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjlla View Post
Off to fold laundry and watch my newest favorite TV series that I found on Netflix, "Downton Abbey".
I love that show! The costumes, the scenery. I hardly ever watch tv any more but this is something I do try to keep up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pix13dust View Post
Here's a yummy creamer substitute from Pintrest. I don't use the xanthan gum, the creamer tastes great, just not as thick.
Looks yummy! I don't drink coffee or use creamer but it looks delish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhan View Post
Well it was bound to happen

Was finally able to tolerate food today and I have eaten so much I am ready to puke!!!!
I'm so sorry, Jen. I hope you are feeling better soon. You've had a tough time so be sure and give yourself plenty of time to recover.

Quote:
Lisah--congrats on signing up for the Dumbo Double Dare. Good thing you did it at WDW. It really sold out quick!
Thanks! I am very, very excited and my DH is doing the 5K which will be a first for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Hello old friends,

Stopping in to say hi and to let you know that I'm still alive and kicking! I'm playing on joining the February Challenge! Life has been crazy! I miss my time on the WISH boards and plan on getting back with it for February!
See you soon, Tracey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post
COLD!!!!! Really, really
Hope it warms up in your neck of the woods soon! I will be interested to hear how you like your FitBit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary•Poppins View Post
AHHHH! I really thought it was snowy and cold there too! Now I know why my 2 BILs live out there. And it is sunny. Here in the 'Burg we usually only see sunshine for 5 days in a row in July!
I know the feeling on wanting to see the sun, Fran. We are probably right around what SeaTac is as we are just a bit east of Seattle. Those gray days can get mighty long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyse43230 View Post
Hi everyone! I've been lurking around.

This weekend I got REALLY sick (ruined my long weekend! ).
Hope that you are feeling better soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Thanks for the tip! I will have to look into this.

At the moment it seems like the snow has melted enough that the sidewalks are free. I even went for a short run yesterday - meant to run longer but got a hunger attack. I was afraid that would happen as I only had a salad for lunch, but did not want to spend the calories on a snack. Well, at least I did get 12 minutes of exercise (in addition to my regular 40 minute walk to and back from work). As soon as I got home and had something for dinner after that short run, I packed my gym bag - including a snack - to take to work with me today. I am planning to see how the weather is going to be tonight. If it is ok for running, I leave the gym bag at work, go for a run today and go to the gym tomorrow to do some weights. If it is horrible outside, I go to the gym to use the horrible treadmill and do the weights...

The scale hates me this week - but I just keep telling myself that it is due to TOM. And it is still a few days until my official weigh in day on Saturday!
Hang in there! And good job on making sure that you have a plan for your activity no matter what you decide to do!

BRB the smilie police are after me . . .
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #732
lisah0711
her Disney office
a big congratulations to all of our superstars and especially our biggest loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
I am certainly on a path to not DRINK my calories. And spending my "sat fat points" on coffee creamer is not something I want to do either.
It is incredibly easy to drink way too many calories for sure!

Quote:
I slipped again last night. I worked overtime and was just craving carbs when i got home so i had some egg noodles and homemade french fries. Im so disappointed. And because the weather is so cold i can't get out for my walk,
I'm sorry. Tomorrow is another chance to start over!

Quote:
What I have found--perfect eating does not exist. But you have to try to do the best that you can most of the time. Think about what you can do if that situation comes up again, and don't let it ruin today's effort.

Quote:
"I am not DEPRIVING myself.... I am EMPOWERING myself."

Empower YOURSELF to make the VERY BEST CHOICES YOU CAN TODAY.... both for your physical health and your mental health!! Yes, making healthy food and exercise choices are good for your MENTAL HEALTH!!

Have a HEALTHY DAY!! ...............................P
Love this!

Quote:

Good morning all! I have a crazy, busy, non-stop day today at worked that starts with a 2 hour meeting and ends with a big giant sales party at which I was roped into being part of a flash mob dancing Gangnam style.
Good luck with your crazy busy day!

I am doing okay. I'm about half way to my goal (oops need to update my numbers) -- I think I can still make it as I am very, very OP right now but it means keeping my focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutoBaby View Post
Frustrated with the crazy amount of time it's taken to lose 18 pounds (a YEAR! ) but at least the scale has continued to go down, even if it is at a snail's pace . I'm 7 pounds away from my goal weight that I set last year and it still seems so far away. But I feel good, the miles are adding up, and the pant size is going down . I continue to be grateful for support of friends (both physical and DIS ), and am glad to at least feel accountable to someone other than myself .
I think that you have a lot more positive changes going on that you give yourself credit for!

Quote:
Feel free to join now and I will see you on the February thread.

Quote:
February goals will be set when Lisah starts the February thread.
I will start that in about a week.

I am swimming, swimming along here. Still basking in the glow of making the Dumbo Double Dare and just booked our room at the Grand Californian.
lisah0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #733
50sjayne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camnhan View Post
Well it was bound to happen

Was finally able to tolerate food today and I have eaten so much I am ready to puke!!!!
Well-- you were hungry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger813 View Post
Hello old friends,

Stopping in to say hi and to let you know that I'm still alive and kicking! I'm playing on joining the February Challenge! Life has been crazy! I miss my time on the WISH boards and plan on getting back with it for February!

Started training for my 5Ks today! I got a treadmill last week as my beloved elliptical finally bit the dust! Doing my local 5K in September and then doing the Jingle Jungle at AK in November! Got an adults only weekend planned for this one! Just gotta set up coverage for the kids that weekend! Hoping to do 6 5Ks this year! Just a number I picked!

See you all soon back on the boards!

TTFN
Treadmills-- are expensive....good for you with the running. In fact good for all of you with the running....

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoscrap View Post

COLD!!!!! Really, really

I opened my My Fitness Pal account back up. I. HATE. TRACKING. !!! It is such a pain in the you know where. But I haven't made any progress since the beginning of the month and since I also have the fitbit maybe they will help me to see where I am having problems.
I hate tracking too-- but the fun is over for me for awhile--I'll start today too.

Quote:
I think the cold just kind of immobilizes everyone in a way. I went completely insane last night and had a huge bowl of popcorn. Albeit it was airpopped with very little butter and lots of spices--still.

Took it really easy exercising yesterday and had very little trouble with dizzyness, actually did my ear exercises on the mat there and a round tube thing that acted as a pillow and had my best results so far with those exercises. I'm sure I looked very strange but I'm used to not looking my best there lol. Came home and had leftovers which were great then sat and tried to find a decent hotel deal that wasn't priceline and gave up after about 2 hours of looking-- hotel deals for downtown Portland are only to be gotten on Priceline-- especially St. Patty's Day weekend. My husband just doesn't really like fancy hotels and the parking is always steep and I refuse to dive (there's really no in between on the MAX line) it any more so we're probably going to be stuck here for St.Patrick's day. We don't drink and drive so there's just no fun in it here. I just feel kind of bad because my stepdad got us tickets for something my son would enjoy a lot more with his friends that weekend so we're going to give them the tickets. My excuse for not going ourselves was going up to Portland. The best thing about St. Patty's day in Portland is the bagpipes. Kell's pipers will come right into the bar and play--the tables vibrate it's so loud-- it's awesome.

Quote:
"I am not DEPRIVING myself.... I am EMPOWERING myself
love that.

I spent my whole time on the elliptical yesterday thinking of names for the kitty. I finally came up with Maui because it is the prettiest Hawaiian island and I had given up on thinking of cold weather names. Then thought of Dinah--Alice's cat in Alice in wonderland. Came home and son had already named her-- Misty. Perfect. We've had, along with the freezing temp's a blanket of fog over us the last few weeks.

As far as kitty's being lucky to find us-- yeah-- we treasure them, but really I feel very lucky to have found her--she is just a doll. How anyone could just abandon this gorgeous sweet girl in temp's of the 20's is just barbaric to me. I looked up posts on craigs list to see if they even tried to home her and couldn't find a thing. A neighbor said they had come back several times to get their things but didn't take her. She'd have starved but someone put some dog food out for her.Things are going pretty well-- I cracked the door today to let them all sniff each other for awhile--actually tried something I hadn't before--tied a string to the doorknob and tied the other end to a drawer in the hall so it left the door just open enough. I also put bowls of tuna on each side of the door so they'd associate each other with food.
Will get pictures soon-- I forget I got a new camera for xmas!
Have a great day.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #734
jillbur
DIS Veteran

Hello all! I just wanted to pop in for a minute to say hi. I've been missing the last few days. My feeling rundown on Saturday turned into getting full on sick on Sunday. I spent Sunday & Monday in bed and on the couch. Luckily we had a 2 hour delay yesterday and today so I got some extra rest. I feel much better today, so I need to pack! It was supposed to be done on Sunday, but I just couldn't do anything. So, I need to pack tonight so we can leave for wdw on Friday. DH has graduation tomorrow, so I won't have much time tomorrow afternoon to do much. I'm hoping to check in while I am in Florida but I won't be able to weigh in. So, have good weigh ins and stay warm! ttyl

Jill
Old 01-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #735
lovetoscrap
Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there
Please bring back the Gecko and dump the stupid eyeballs
Just a timy bit dixzy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Glad you found somewhere to walk where it is warm! My school is great, but I can't seem to walk without someone stopping me to talk! Looking forward to hearing more about the Fitbit!
Fortunately I leave school an hour after school is out. There are very few people left in the building by that time. It is just me and the custodians!

Quote:

We are going to have to have video proof of that. . . . And be sure to count it towards your exercise for the day!

Not doing as well as I had hoped I would be. My weight is bouncing around daily by about 2 pounds which is really not normal for me, but on my official weigh day each week it has been the same higher number. I am frustrated, but with myself for not doing the things that I know I HAVE to in order to keep that number down.

Success? Eating much more healthy. Planning meals and be sure to have on plan choices around at all times.

Struggles? Avoiding the "treats"-- the candy, the crackers, the things I know I shouldn't have on a regular basis. No one to blame but me.

And exercise. I want to walk. I actually do kind of like walking at a good pace with my Ipod turned up so loud it drowns out everything else. But it isn't looking good for being able to do that regularly. Walked 2 days in a row and my feet are absolutely not happy-- in the heels and the ball of the foot. I thought that it was something just rubbing wrong on the ball of foot and put moleskin on and changed shoes to give it time to rest but after messing with it tonight it is a deep pain to the bone, not just irritated skin. I am afraid that I have also lost fat pad there (which is very possible) and that is not something that can "heal". I bought some new inserts today to try and see if they can help. I can limping pretty bad today.

Makes the Fitbit less fun if I can't move much during the day. Feeling a little bit sorry for myself tonight. I try not to let my foot issues affect me too much or get me down but I am very frustrated today.

And now tonight, I am hungry. Dinner sucked (don't ask) and I waited too long to eat it so I was starving. If I let myself get like that it is hard to fell full. I should have had a small snack. On the positive side I had logged everything into MFP and it said I was OVER in every category after dinner so no option for snack. BUT I went back a few mins ago and realized I added dinner 2x! So I do have a little wiggle room left. Going to make some Diet Hot Chocolate and melt a cheese stick (or two. . .).

School tomorrow and then a 4 day weekend! Don't know what we are doing yet but hopefully it will all be indoors because it is still here!

Gonna go get that snack and try to get to bed early.

SCRAPbooking, I love to SCRAPbook. Don't worry, you're not the only one that read it wrong!
*Grand Duchess of Airline Check Ins and Upgrades**Lady In Waiting of The Cheap Boxed Wine Chamber**Grand Princess Royale of Cookieland* Another quality, content-rich post by LTS
lovetoscrap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: