Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #61
chateau
DIS Veteran
 
chateau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 818

Now she has a case against the judicial system.... yep, sure does!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
DarthTod
Mouseketeer
 
DarthTod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Auburn, WA
Posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy

This is exactly what I was thinking, I thought the purpose of cruise lines submitting the manifest was so Homeland Security could check it over before the ship sailed. Hopefully they just waited until the ship returned because she was NOT on the watch list.
I wouldn't bet on that. DHS isn't too concerned when you are leaving the country on a foreign vessel. Coming into the country on a foreign vessel? now they're interested.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #63
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I think its silly to spend all that police manpower and court time over $85.00, but it happened and should have been taken care of back in the day.
This is the exact reason that police may pick up ANYONE with a bench warrant regardless of "crime". If people knew that they wouldn't be arrested for minor infractions, then people would always ignore tickets and court dates. Also, the arresting officers don't always know what the warrant is for. They just do their job.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #64
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.
 
EPCOTatNight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Orleans, La
Posts: 2,019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. DHS isn't too concerned when you are leaving the country on a foreign vessel. Coming into the country on a foreign vessel? now they're interested.
Why wouldn't they be interested? Many Americans are on board and it is leaving an American port. Also, it's registered in the Bahamas, but I wouldn't categorize a Disney cruise ship as a "foreign" vessel.
__________________
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)





EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #65
newmommie77
Mouseketeer
 
newmommie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165

Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
__________________
[/url]
newmommie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #66
newmommie77
Mouseketeer
 
newmommie77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 165

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77
Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
Sorry. Meant to add in the state of FL
__________________
[/url]
newmommie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #67
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostel View Post
Crime committed 22 years ago, passport valid for 10 yrs.
The reason a passport can be withheld for failure to pay child support is because there is a specific law that provides for it. Usually the federal government doesn't care about state court matters, but someone passed this bill so they can withhold passports for THIS specific reason. Outstanding parking tickets? Arrested for something? No. Other than that, states control their own licenses and requirements, but if you owe child support in California you might be able to get a driver's license in Georgia if those two states don't have an agreement.

However, state courts and the federal law enforcement, including homeland security, do work together to enforce warrants. Arrests are OFTEN made as people come back into the country because that's when you run into customs. On the way OUT of the country, you show your passport to the airline people, the ship people, the customs people from the foreign country. Coming back? USA all the way.

Usually a person is held on the warrant where they are arrested, and the authority that issued the warrant is then asked if they want to transport the detainee, because the cost does go to the warrant issuer. Is California going to transport over $85? Unlikely. Is the next county over in Florida? Maybe.

The fine itself is no longer the issue so it doesn't matter if it was $85 or $8500, it's the Bench Warrant. The warrant has to be quashed (dismissed) before she can be released.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #68
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Now she has a case against the judicial system.... yep, sure does!

How? She was wanted on a warrant, and she was found and arrested. Where's the violation? She even admits that it was her fine that wasn't paid.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #69
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77 View Post
Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
That is likely for cases that have been fully discharged. In this case, a warrant was issued due to the defendant's failure to complete the terms of their sentence. That isn't just going to go away.

Just curious if you could provide a link to that law, I can't seem to find it anywhere. All I see is expungement, which requires action on the defendant's part and is not automatic.
__________________

Last edited by DynamicDisneyDuo; 01-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #70
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
 
Piglets Mommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania....way too far north of the Mouse!
Posts: 7,373

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight

Why wouldn't they be interested? Many Americans are on board and it is leaving an American port. Also, it's registered in the Bahamas, but I wouldn't categorize a Disney cruise ship as a "foreign" vessel.
Yes, that's what I was getting at earlier. I will be on the Dream in 10 Days and don't want to have a terrorist on board. I thought that's what these screenings were for. It may technically be a "foreign vessel" but there will be thousands of Americans on board.
__________________
DH Me DS ,13 DD,10
Piglets Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #71
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77 View Post
Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
Is this true? Then why wouldn't her bench warrant have expired?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #72
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran
 
lilpooh108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Depends on the moment
Posts: 4,316

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
The reason a passport can be withheld for failure to pay child support is because there is a specific law that provides for it. Usually the federal government doesn't care about state court matters, but someone passed this bill so they can withhold passports for THIS specific reason. Outstanding parking tickets? Arrested for something? No. Other than that, states control their own licenses and requirements, but if you owe child support in California you might be able to get a driver's license in Georgia if those two states don't have an agreement.

However, state courts and the federal law enforcement, including homeland security, do work together to enforce warrants. Arrests are OFTEN made as people come back into the country because that's when you run into customs. On the way OUT of the country, you show your passport to the airline people, the ship people, the customs people from the foreign country. Coming back? USA all the way.

Usually a person is held on the warrant where they are arrested, and the authority that issued the warrant is then asked if they want to transport the detainee, because the cost does go to the warrant issuer. Is California going to transport over $85? Unlikely. Is the next county over in Florida? Maybe.

The fine itself is no longer the issue so it doesn't matter if it was $85 or $8500, it's the Bench Warrant. The warrant has to be quashed (dismissed) before she can be released.

Nancy
Nancy, this is so interesting.

Do bench warrants ever expire in FL?

If the issuing jurisdiction declines to transport, what happens then?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #73
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran
 
bitlerzx4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NC
Posts: 554

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
How sad and embarrassing for her and for them to say where she works at her firm. I hope she doesn't lose her job over this. It was probably a bench warrant - it's shocking how many people have these for fines and what not. In my county judges issue bench warrants for civil matters as well as criminal. Some people don't even know they have one out for them.
I was thinking the same thing.
__________________

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.