Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 10:07 PM   #61
chateau
DIS Veteran

Now she has a case against the judicial system.... yep, sure does!
chateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #62
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglets Mommy

This is exactly what I was thinking, I thought the purpose of cruise lines submitting the manifest was so Homeland Security could check it over before the ship sailed. Hopefully they just waited until the ship returned because she was NOT on the watch list.
I wouldn't bet on that. DHS isn't too concerned when you are leaving the country on a foreign vessel. Coming into the country on a foreign vessel? now they're interested.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #63
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I think its silly to spend all that police manpower and court time over $85.00, but it happened and should have been taken care of back in the day.
This is the exact reason that police may pick up ANYONE with a bench warrant regardless of "crime". If people knew that they wouldn't be arrested for minor infractions, then people would always ignore tickets and court dates. Also, the arresting officers don't always know what the warrant is for. They just do their job.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #64
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthTod View Post
I wouldn't bet on that. DHS isn't too concerned when you are leaving the country on a foreign vessel. Coming into the country on a foreign vessel? now they're interested.
Why wouldn't they be interested? Many Americans are on board and it is leaving an American port. Also, it's registered in the Bahamas, but I wouldn't categorize a Disney cruise ship as a "foreign" vessel.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (8/2014 BLT/AKV) (1/2015 7 night Magic)

EPCOTatNight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #65
newmommie77
Mouseketeer

Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 PM   #66
newmommie77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77
Probably more to this situation since misdemeanors for less than $300 are purged after 10 years.
Sorry. Meant to add in the state of FL
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #67
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkostel View Post
Crime committed 22 years ago, passport valid for 10 yrs.
The reason a passport can be withheld for failure to pay child support is because there is a specific law that provides for it. Usually the federal government doesn't care about state court matters, but someone passed this bill so they can withhold passports for THIS specific reason. Outstanding parking tickets? Arrested for something? No. Other than that, states control their own licenses and requirements, but if you owe child support in California you might be able to get a driver's license in Georgia if those two states don't have an agreement.

However, state courts and the federal law enforcement, including homeland security, do work together to enforce warrants. Arrests are OFTEN made as people come back into the country because that's when you run into customs. On the way OUT of the country, you show your passport to the airline people, the ship people, the customs people from the foreign country. Coming back? USA all the way.

Usually a person is held on the warrant where they are arrested, and the authority that issued the warrant is then asked if they want to transport the detainee, because the cost does go to the warrant issuer. Is California going to transport over $85? Unlikely. Is the next county over in Florida? Maybe.

The fine itself is no longer the issue so it doesn't matter if it was $85 or $8500, it's the Bench Warrant. The warrant has to be quashed (dismissed) before she can be released.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM   #68
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Now she has a case against the judicial system.... yep, sure does!

How? She was wanted on a warrant, and she was found and arrested. Where's the violation? She even admits that it was her fine that wasn't paid.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #69
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77 View Post
That is likely for cases that have been fully discharged. In this case, a warrant was issued due to the defendant's failure to complete the terms of their sentence. That isn't just going to go away.

Just curious if you could provide a link to that law, I can't seem to find it anywhere. All I see is expungement, which requires action on the defendant's part and is not automatic.

Last edited by DynamicDisneyDuo; 01-23-2013 at 06:25 AM.
DynamicDisneyDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:16 AM   #70
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight

Why wouldn't they be interested? Many Americans are on board and it is leaving an American port. Also, it's registered in the Bahamas, but I wouldn't categorize a Disney cruise ship as a "foreign" vessel.
Yes, that's what I was getting at earlier. I will be on the Dream in 10 Days and don't want to have a terrorist on board. I thought that's what these screenings were for. It may technically be a "foreign vessel" but there will be thousands of Americans on board.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #71
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommie77 View Post
Is this true? Then why wouldn't her bench warrant have expired?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #72
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
The reason a passport can be withheld for failure to pay child support is because there is a specific law that provides for it. Usually the federal government doesn't care about state court matters, but someone passed this bill so they can withhold passports for THIS specific reason. Outstanding parking tickets? Arrested for something? No. Other than that, states control their own licenses and requirements, but if you owe child support in California you might be able to get a driver's license in Georgia if those two states don't have an agreement.

However, state courts and the federal law enforcement, including homeland security, do work together to enforce warrants. Arrests are OFTEN made as people come back into the country because that's when you run into customs. On the way OUT of the country, you show your passport to the airline people, the ship people, the customs people from the foreign country. Coming back? USA all the way.

Usually a person is held on the warrant where they are arrested, and the authority that issued the warrant is then asked if they want to transport the detainee, because the cost does go to the warrant issuer. Is California going to transport over $85? Unlikely. Is the next county over in Florida? Maybe.

The fine itself is no longer the issue so it doesn't matter if it was $85 or $8500, it's the Bench Warrant. The warrant has to be quashed (dismissed) before she can be released.

Nancy
Nancy, this is so interesting.

Do bench warrants ever expire in FL?

If the issuing jurisdiction declines to transport, what happens then?
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #73
bitlerzx4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
How sad and embarrassing for her and for them to say where she works at her firm. I hope she doesn't lose her job over this. It was probably a bench warrant - it's shocking how many people have these for fines and what not. In my county judges issue bench warrants for civil matters as well as criminal. Some people don't even know they have one out for them.
I was thinking the same thing.

March 2001(just us) October 2008 (as a family of 4) December 2011 Dream/WDW October 2013 Fantasy Cruise

bitlerzx4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: