Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
andylem73
Earning My Ears
 
andylem73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11

How do you handle unfriendly people

How do you handle unfriendly people who obviously dislike gay and lesbian people, when you stay at WDW
My legal husband and I live in NY where we don't run into this sort of situation.
We have not experienced nasty looks from other guests, (that I can recall), but how do you handle it?
andylem73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
zulemara
Oh Boy! I'm a WDW sailor!
Had a Thriller of a time on the Wonder
 
zulemara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 2,338

well, as a CM, I always walked around like I owned the place in that regard. Now I'm not a CM, but that doesn't matter. I never notice, but apparently people do give us dirty looks when we are in the park. No one has confronted us before, but if they did, I'd tell them to go complain to a( probably gay) guest relations CM. They can huff and puff all they want, but when you're inside WDW you are backed 100% by the company, not to mention the large majority of CMs. To me, knowing I have that backing was always enough to counter any negativity.

If someone actually got in my face, I'd just threaten to call my lawyer(which is available 24/7) and that would probably diffuse the situation.
__________________
DIS Unplugged DTD/Rumors special correspondent
Come join us on the rumors board!



zulemara is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
chloesmommy
Earning My Ears
 
chloesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 55

This is sorta off topic I suppose, but were a hetrosexually couple coming to Disney the first week of June with our kids. In no way are we homophobic and our kids arent being brought up that way. My friend was shocked we booked that week and swears we will encounter very vulgar people. Wheather or not it was hetrosexual or otherwise I wouldnt want them exposed to that. PDA is one thing hugs, smooches, holding
hands and such and in no way bothers me. Has anyone been that week that can give your input?
__________________
DBF me DD12 DD4 DS4
chloesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
cmhguy
Mouseketeer
 
cmhguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 262

We have never had a problem, but I have wondered about this and thought how do I best prepare should this be an encounter. The great news is that we’ve never had to find out! We stay on property and use the transportation system, and that gave me a little angst on our first trip to the World together.

We have met so many wonderful people and families. For whatever reason, kids tend to love us and just start talking to us……and I’ve often been a little freaked out fearing the worst from the parents to find their precious son/daughter talking to two guys. EVERY time – the parents get to know us, and time-and-time again, we experience another magical moment! This is one of the things that has made our WDW trips so special to us and give us story after story to tell!

Fearing the worst, like I tend to do – but experiencing just the opposite.

For the most part, I have planned to ignore such rude behavior if it should happen. I’m not going to ruin my day or moment over someone else’s choice to be rude. I feel safe at WDW, and I’m not going to let someone else take away from my experience of having fun and a relaxing time. Should something be of a severe nature, I would likely seek out the assistance of a CM and/or Guest Services for assistance in handling the situation and not involve myself with the offender.

We have experienced a lot of rude people in the World, but it had nothing to do with our identity – they were just rude entitled people that would have walked over anyone in their path. I don’t let them get to me either! It’s not worth it to me…
__________________
Wonder 5 night - April/May2014
RPR -- POR - May/June2013
CSR - May/June2012
Pop - May/June2011
POR - June2009
cmhguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 PM   #5
andylem73
Earning My Ears
 
andylem73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11

Thank you! Those are my Husbands thoughts exactly. I tend to over analyze things where he has a much more happy go lucky "magical" outlook.
We will be sailing on the Dream the 1st week of March will be at WDW following the cruise.
I too feel very safe at WDW always staying on property at Deluxe resorts but still I am iffy with many of the straight people in the common areas and parks. (my own prejudice and fear I suppose, that I will need to work on overcoming).
andylem73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #6
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,638
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesmommy View Post
This is sorta off topic I suppose, but were a hetrosexually couple coming to Disney the first week of June with our kids. In no way are we homophobic and our kids arent being brought up that way. My friend was shocked we booked that week and swears we will encounter very vulgar people. Wheather or not it was hetrosexual or otherwise I wouldnt want them exposed to that. PDA is one thing hugs, smooches, holding
hands and such and in no way bothers me. Has anyone been that week that can give your input?

I doubt you or your children will see anything inappropriate. My Mother, who passed last year at the age of 87, often went to WDW with me during the first week of June.

Mostly it is hand holding and pecks on the cheek, remember that many of us also will have children and families in tow. We are there to enjoy Disney World, just like anyone else.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Kae
DIS Veteran
 
Kae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 6,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesmommy View Post
This is sorta off topic I suppose, but were a hetrosexually couple coming to Disney the first week of June with our kids. In no way are we homophobic and our kids arent being brought up that way. My friend was shocked we booked that week and swears we will encounter very vulgar people. Wheather or not it was hetrosexual or otherwise I wouldnt want them exposed to that. PDA is one thing hugs, smooches, holding
hands and such and in no way bothers me. Has anyone been that week that can give your input?
We did not have a problem at all.

Kae
__________________
:Me DH DD12 DS15CSR Oct 2010-Just Me & DH!!
May 2007-Pop & AKL June 2005-WL April 2005-Wyndham Palace March 2004-Marriott DTD
Oct 2003-WL Oct 2001-Poly DS 1st Trip
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
chloesmommy
Earning My Ears
 
chloesmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 55

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I doubt you or your children will see anything inappropriate. My Mother, who passed last year at the age of 87, often went to WDW with me during the first week of June.

Mostly it is hand holding and pecks on the cheek, remember that many of us also will have children and families in tow. We are there to enjoy Disney World, just like anyone else.
Thanks for your reply.... now if we can just figure out how to stay cool.
__________________
DBF me DD12 DD4 DS4
chloesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
blue65829
Mouseketeer
 
blue65829's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: upstate new york
Posts: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhguy View Post
We have met so many wonderful people and families. For whatever reason, kids tend to love us and just start talking to us……and I’ve often been a little freaked out fearing the worst from the parents to find their precious son/daughter talking to two guys. EVERY time – the parents get to know us, and time-and-time again, we experience another magical moment! This is one of the things that has made our WDW trips so special to us and give us story after story to tell! …
This is so similar to our experience as a straight couple in their 30's traveling to wdw without children.

Little kids are constantly coming up to/touching/running into DH and we are always making jokes about it, but really being so careful not to touch anyone's child! I'm not sure why we think we are so suspicious looking! I guess we feel like some might think we are odd for being there when we don't have kiddos.

Anyhow, on topic, we visited the world on our honeymoon during early june without realizing the coincidence, until we saw everyone wearing red shirts (on the same day we were wearing red shirts ), there was no difference to any other trip we've been on.
__________________
May 2005 - POR honeymoon
September 2008 - POR
September 2010 - WL!!!!
October 2011 - AKL
September 2012 - finally going to Universal - having mouse withdrawls
August 2013 - WL CL & I get to be at MK on my B-day!
blue65829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
ford91exploder
Mouseketeer
 
ford91exploder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 158

IGNORE THEM.

Seriously although it hurts do not give them the pleasure of responding to their taunt.

Disney is supposed to be a joyful place but as a sign in a local repair shop states 'Everyone brings joy to this room, Some by entering, Some by leaving...'

Don't give the 'leaving' ones the satisfaction of being visibly hurt by them.

Personally i'm not LGBT but when I was a teen a LGBT couple used to take me to the beach, taught me the antique business and introduced me to the local arts community.

So perhaps I have a better understanding of LGBT than most people in my position and I see them as just ordinary people going about their lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylem73 View Post
How do you handle unfriendly people who obviously dislike gay and lesbian people, when you stay at WDW
My legal husband and I live in NY where we don't run into this sort of situation.
We have not experienced nasty looks from other guests, (that I can recall), but how do you handle it?
__________________



WDW 07/05, WDW 06/06, DLR 07/07 SSR 08/08 SSR 05/09 AKL 07/09 SSR 12/09 Next BLT 05/10 AKL 12/10
Team Focker Watch
ford91exploder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
BenKling
Mouseketeer
 
BenKling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 224

I've never had a problem. I really do think that people are too focused on their own vacations to pay attention to anyone else.

You're MUCH more like to get dirty looks if you're one of the people who drag around a screaming child.
__________________
2010 Offsite, 2011 USF & IOA, 2012 POP, 2013 POP

BenKling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #12
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!
 
allears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Southern New Jersey
Posts: 2,455

Quote:
Originally Posted by andylem73 View Post
Thank you! Those are my Husbands thoughts exactly. I tend to over analyze things where he has a much more happy go lucky "magical" outlook.
We will be sailing on the Dream the 1st week of March will be at WDW following the cruise.
I too feel very safe at WDW always staying on property at Deluxe resorts but still I am iffy with many of the straight people in the common areas and parks. (my own prejudice and fear I suppose, that I will need to work on overcoming).
My partner and I went on a Disney cruise last year, this was his first cruise ever and my 10th. However, it was my first cruise since coming out, my previous cruises where with my ex-wife and children. Though I knew the experience for me would be a bit different, I didn't worry about any reactions from guest or cast. Every cruise I've been on there have always been gay couples and I never saw anyone treated poorly or even garner snarky looks. This one was no exception. I never felt a moment of discomfort at all! Quite the opposite actually.

I am sure you will have an outstanding time, just enjoy and be confident in yourselves!
__________________
I only hope we never loose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse. -Walt Disney
Things always work out best for those who make the best out of how things work out.

Disney Wonder 2000, Disney Magic, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012, Disney Fantasy 2013 & 2014

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
dalayney
Mouseketeer
 
dalayney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bristol, Wisconsin
Posts: 186

Honestly, feel sorry for them. Feel sorry for those who are so closed minded, they glare, or look down on you. They, are the ones that are missing out on potential friends, or just meeting awesome people. Feel sorry for their children, because they are teaching them that, they can't be who they are, and have to fit in this one certain stereotype of a human being.

And then snicker back, because those who judge? usually have some whopper of skeletons in their closets, and are just deflecting on their own faults and insecurities. Pity these people, don't waste a second worrying about them though.

Have a fanstastic trip!
dalayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
mrunn0080
Earning My Ears
 
mrunn0080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CapeCod, MA
Posts: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloesmommy View Post
This is sorta off topic I suppose, but were a hetrosexually couple coming to Disney the first week of June with our kids. In no way are we homophobic and our kids arent being brought up that way. My friend was shocked we booked that week and swears we will encounter very vulgar people. Wheather or not it was hetrosexual or otherwise I wouldnt want them exposed to that. PDA is one thing hugs, smooches, holding
hands and such and in no way bothers me. Has anyone been that week that can give your input?
There are a lot of straight couples with kids in the parks on "Gay Days" week and the kids all ask mom "why is everyone wearing red"? That's got to be the hardest question to answer to a child. I know kids are out of school that week for some and I feel bad because there are so many people in the park, the lines are all 180 minute waits because of this annual event.
mrunn0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #15
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator
 
Chuck S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Seguin, Texas USA
Posts: 25,638
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrunn0080 View Post
There are a lot of straight couples with kids in the parks on "Gay Days" week and the kids all ask mom "why is everyone wearing red"? That's got to be the hardest question to answer to a child. I know kids are out of school that week for some and I feel bad because there are so many people in the park, the lines are all 180 minute waits because of this annual event.
Why? If parents don't want to mention "gay," just say the people wearing red are part of a large group visiting Disney World on that particular day. That would be completely honest and should be a satisfactory answer for a child.

I have never seen any 180 minute wait times during Gay Days. The parks are busy, yes, but really not packed. Nothing like a long holiday weekend when the parks are REALLY busy.
__________________

DVC Member at OKW since 1992

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.