Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:39 PM   #16
starjazz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseman View Post
I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work.

Thats a bummer that this ruined your family's day.

I gotta say though, the above quote cracked me up - did you mean 15 and 12? Or are you saying your 5 and 2 year old are "grown up"?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #17
meuseman
Disney Parks Game Afficianado

I understand the need to teach children to adapt to changing environments. But this is something that I have never experienced.

What if you were at dinner and the server brought out dessert first? Would you say "Oh well, guess they are changing it up today. What's the big deal, you will still get all of your food, right?" I doubt it.

If Mickey wanted to take pictures first, he should not have have taken the books and the pen, put them behind his back and tried to turn the kids around. I told my son that Mickey wanted pictures first. I told him that Mickey would sign his book after pictures. But he's 2 and Mickey is holding his book and his pen and refusing to sign his book. It has never happened before, and didn't happen again on the trip.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #18
Barnabas T Bullion
Earning My Ears

I am always blown away with what people complain about here. Obviously a parental unit should have intervened quicker to assure this child that it would be ok.

It's always gotta be Uncle Walt's fault!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #19
ElCapitanAmerica
Earning My Ears

This seems horribly nitpicky, and to be honest it sounds like you could have been more flexible and explained to your kids to do the pic and then signatures would come.

I don't understand why the order of how you understand this needs to be some formal diplomatic protocol in the first place! I never even explained to my kids what the order is, they just go with the flow. Sounds like you emphasized this too much and made the progress sound too rigid for your kids.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #20
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith1
You never know what was going on with the person playing Mickey...perhaps there was an issue you were unaware of where the order needed to be changed for a person or two....Mickey can't communicate so, it sounds like the CM was trying handle a situation that you weren't aware of in the most appropriate way he/she knew how to.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I understand the need to teach children to adapt to changing environments. But this is something that I have never experienced.

What if you were at dinner and the server brought out dessert first? Would you say "Oh well, guess they are changing it up today. What's the big deal, you will still get all of your food, right?" I doubt it.

If Mickey wanted to take pictures first, he should not have have taken the books and the pen, put them behind his back and tried to turn the kids around. I told my son that Mickey wanted pictures first. I told him that Mickey would sign his book after pictures. But he's 2 and Mickey is holding his book and his pen and refusing to sign his book. It has never happened before, and didn't happen again on the trip.
I think you're taking a pretty big leap from the order of meeting a character to the order that a meal is served. I understand you guys were upset by this but some reassurance from you and maybe some hard lessons learned for your kids will help them see that Mickey doesn't always do everything like a robot. There is some chaos involved sometimes.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #22
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.
The way you acted, and leaving without the pics or autograph, probably upset your children more than anything.

The handler explained to you what *their* order was. Seems like you, and by extension, your children, need to learn that there are more ways to do things than one.

This just seems so petty. I don't think you would have a leg to stand on trying to make a big issue of it with Disney. Just go with the flow, relax and have a good time. Save the complaints for *real* issues.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #23
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

Quote:
Are you kidding me? If a server brought out my dessert first, I would be delighted! Of course, I then wouldn't want my main meal, but I would consider it to be awesome.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
ElCapitanAmerica
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseman

But this is not a formal dinner! This is interaction with a fictional character.

BTW, please don't even try to get pictures with Wreck It Ralph and Vanellope at HS! She likes to play jokes and goof around the camera. I'm trying to wonder how you would react to that character!!!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:47 PM   #25
trainingupmy4princes
Mouseketeer

I think kids should be able to be flexible if the parents are guiding them. Maybe if you had smiled and reassured them to take the pcture first.

DL: 2005 Aug. DS's 1st (offsite), 2005 (offsite), 2006 July (offsite)
WDW: 2002 May(offsite), 2006 Oct. Free Dining and MNSSHP(POR),2007 our anniversaryand MVMCP(BC&WL), 2008 Sept. My birthday trip with sisters (ASSP), 2009 Sept. Free Dining with oldest DS Birthday and MNSSHP(CBR Pirate room),2013 Oct. DD's 3rd Birthday Princess Trip with BBB and MNSSHP (CBR)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #26
WDSearcher
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I imagine Mickey took the books because your kids handed them to him. He likely put them behind his back so that the books wouldn't be in the picture. Wouldn't your kids have been more upset if he hadn't taken the books when first offered?

And if I were at dinner and the server brought out dessert first, I'd ask why. And if he said, "That's how we're doing it today," I'd shrug and eat my dessert.

Last edited by WDSearcher; 01-22-2013 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:49 PM   #27
MickeyMinnieMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenT
I have seen them take the photo and then sign on occasion. Maybe if you had assured the kids that it was fine, that Mickey wanted to take pics first, they would have been fine with it.
I also have to point out that you're talking about a two year old as though he has years of experience with this and is completely thrown by a different procedure....
This was my thought. I do understand toddlers and routines -- have been to WDW numerous times with two of my own. But usually if I assure them "it's ok - we can do it this way, too -- no problem!" and don't seem upset about it myself, that would take care of it for the kids.

Barring that reaction by parents, Mickey probably could have gone the extra mile to accommodate, though... And in my experience, he generally does. As a pp said, a comment card might do wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #28
meuseman
Disney Parks Game Afficianado

I'm sorry. Maybe I'm a bad parent as all of you are making me out to be.

My two year old son took his autograph book to Mickey, just like he has done dozens of times, including at Epcot the previous day and at Magic Kingdom the day before. The handler asked everyone to have their books out for signatures. Mickey took the book, and when my son asked for his autograph, Mickey shook his head no and put the book behind his back.

That will make a 2 year old cry. I intervened within 10 seconds, but the damage was done.

All that needed to happen was a signature, just like every other character interaction. However, at that point, after I asked Mickey to sign his book, the handler said, Mickey only signs after pictures. By that time, my son is sobbing, asking for a signature. A picture is worthless.

I didn't set these expectations. They were set by the hundreds of character interactions that my kids experienced before this one. My kids don't cry when King Louie can't sign their book. They don't cry when the characters stop at a table next to us at Chef Mickey's then leave for the dancing. They get that. This was different. Maybe I did a bad job of explaining. Maybe it was something you had to experience. But it was jarring enough for me to post because it was so out of the ordinary and affected my trip.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #29
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

I do agree that Mickey and friend could have adapted just as easily as you. However, you cannot control what others do, you can only control yourself. This is a classic tale of your routine clashing with someone else's. I'm sorry that your experience was less than stellar, but I expect you're probably more upset about this than your kids.

I have a 2 year old, and I'm not even convinced that he'll want to meet Mickey in April. I'll just be happy if he doesn't run screaming in the other direction.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
Old 01-22-2013, 05:01 PM   #30
BigPumba
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly

Are you kidding me? If a server brought out my dessert first, I would be delighted! Of course, I then wouldn't want my main meal, but I would consider it to be awesome.
This depends on what is for dessert I have had some that were so bad I wouldn't want the even after the main course let alone before. 😳
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: