Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #2476
erikawolf2004
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasingmarcus View Post
Thank you all for the warm welcome and especially the pattern suggestions.

I forgot about the Modkids pattern. It is one I had been eyeing for a while and it just might do the trick. I have not made any of their patterns before, and I am glad to know that they are well written. I will check out the Simplicity pattern at Joanns tomorrow.

I gave my daughter her Wendy nightgown today for our movie night. She loved it!
I found the Modkids pattern was generous. But I think it is perfect for a Mulan dress.

Erika

erikawolf2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #2477
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Believe it or not I put them over a lamp I own with a very wide shade in it. It has a beautiful shape and makes the dresses look perfect. I can't wait to see them on a real little girl next week.
Very clever! I will have to try that trick some time soon.

Quote:

Glad that she liked the nightie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post

So, these are her lanyards:

D~
As usual, your bags are completely fabulous! I especially loved the Goofy and Tigger bags the most. I also think that V's lanyards are terrific. How great it is that she's earning the money towards something that she wants to do! It will mean so much more to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post

Here's what I've been working on lately. These are gifts for a co-worker who just had her second child (a boy). I usually try to do something for any older children in the family as well as for the new baby. In this family, there is also a 2.5 year old girl who loves Tangled so that was the theme I went with.

First for the big sister:

and then navy pinwhale corduroy overalls for the new baby brother:

Judy
I love both the dress and the overalls. How cute that you came up with a theme for the gifts. I am sure they must have been veyr well received. I've never made baby overalls before. I've made some onesie type outfits. Did you use snap tape on the legs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I thought about using Insul-brite but I was trying to use up what was in my stash. I have quite a bit of scrap quilt batt so I decided to use the batting. I whipped out my Tiana placemat at lunch today and someone asked me if that's a pillowcase for my cutlery as I had it rolled up initially. I usually have lunch at my desk but the last few days I have been eating with other people as I was at a course.
I was asking because I have some insulbrite in my stash of stuff. You probably have the nicest lunch stuff at your work. I love that you have a Tiana place mat. How fun! I used to work with a lady who brought in a real fork and knife and a cloth place mat everyday. It made her sandwich look so much nicer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
You may be right! I have oodles of old t-shirts lying around too to repurpose.Next sale they have I shall purchase it. I may try a pair for summer jammies using the easy fits pattern -- but for wearable shorts I don't think ds would like the easy fits.

My kids are slowly working there way to the stage of yours. They will often get their own snacks and they shower on their own. DS picks out his own clothes (though about once a month I wish he didn't ) but I spend over two hours a day in the car driving them. It is honestly easier for me on days when there is no school!
Sorry that your kids have been sick. We always get the flu shots but sometimes we will still get a mild case of the flu.

I went back to Salvation Army last week and picked up 10 more t-shirts for just over $10. I have 10 more pairs of shorts almost completed. I did a marathon day of pattern pinning and cutting on Saturday. Now I have a ton of stuff ready to sew.

It is nice to have the kids be more responsible about their own stuff. You definitely do a lot of driving. We are in a carpool because the girls' school is just slightly too far for them to walk. I drive 4 afternoons a week but it only takes me a 1/2 hour total from when I leave the house until when I get home.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #2478
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
I love reading through this thread to see what everyone has been working on. What an amazing and creative group! I don't often comment on what is posted but I am always so inspired by everyone's work.

Here's what I've been working on lately. These are gifts for a co-worker who just had her second child (a boy). I usually try to do something for any older children in the family as well as for the new baby. In this family, there is also a 2.5 year old girl who loves Tangled so that was the theme I went with.

Judy
Absolutely adorable... I loved dressing my girls in overalls when they were little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
D you know I love all your stuff Miss C loves Vs lanyards.
Thanks Chiara!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
As always your work is stunning and I know I have said it before, but I can't believe you do all the applique by hand. I love all of them but Goofy and Tigger ones are my favorite.
Thanks! Those are probably my favorite too!

Quote:
Hello Ladies! Remember how I cleaned my sewing space so I could get started sewing again for the new year? Well -- it got delayed. Even though I had a flu shot all it took was one day of going to work to get the flu. And I have now passed it on to my son who refused his flu shot so I worry his will last longer. I'm on day 5 and am felling much better, so last night I finally got into my sewing *room* and started dd's dog jeans. I really hope to finish them for school tomorrow, though I now think I'm keeping both kids home. DS needs to be fever free for 24 hours (and grrr as dh didn't take his temp before tylenol this am) and I am not sending dd until he is cleared and she likewise needs to remain fine. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to getting these jeans done b/c once I get in the swing of sewing again it usually inspires me to keep it up.

I was worried I'd get back on here and be pages behind again, but I see it's been quiet. I think too many people have vanished to FB
Hi Andrea!!! It's great to see you - it's been soooo long! I think of you often and catch a glimpse of you once in a while in Judy's TR - so at least I know you are ok. Still praying that your house sells soon.

Quote:
Hi D! I haven't been around much either and was thinking of you and that I need to get over to your ptr and see what is up with you. But I know I would be hopelessly behind over there too! I miss seeing your bags so am glad you posted over here. Are you doing a summer trip???? 7 months sounds like summer to me.
We did decide on a summer trip... I just couldn't pull V out of her first year of high school in the first few weeks of school - nothing like setting someone up for failure. So, we switched and are going at the end of August - after the summer crowds simmer down... Hopefully we will be able to handle the heat.

There is no such thing as being behind in my PTR... You know that - and you know most everyone there. You are always welcome to pop in - even if it's just to say hi.

Quote:
See how behind I am -- I have only seen one of those bags! The camera bag looks great and I love you camera straps. Your stitching is just awesome -- I really need an old machine. I just have no place to put one, but maybe someday.
Thanks Andrea! Someday you will get your vintage machine, and when you do, I guarantee that it will be your new favorite.

D~

Last edited by DMGeurts; 01-21-2013 at 06:49 PM.
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:36 PM   #2479
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all for the warm welcome and especially the pattern suggestions.

I forgot about the Modkids pattern. It is one I had been eyeing for a while and it just might do the trick. I have not made any of their patterns before, and I am glad to know that they are well written. I will check out the Simplicity pattern at Joanns tomorrow.

I am glad to hear that your daugther liked her Wendy nightgown. I can't wait to see pictures of the Mulan outfit!

Quote:
OK - I came back to post my latest stuff - it's been a while, and I have no idea where I left off, so sorry if you've all seen them before.

This was a zip-wallet/lanyard combo set:

Then my Perfect Park Pak front:

Back:

Then a Jack Skellington UPB front... This was my first bag ever to be sold and shipped to Europe - which was pretty cool... It will be coming back to the US to go to WDW next month, it will also be doing a cross country trip to DL too.

Remy UPB set... Love this one... I know some people really love or hate pink - but this bag just had to be pink.

Interior:

Then, for my oldest dd for Christmas... I've been working on another pattern, actually two patterns for a DSLR camera bag.

The first pattern is for the insert, which is designed to be removed from the bag, and used in other bags. The shape of it is designed to nest exactly insde the DSLR bag (which doesn't have an official name yet) :

Then the DSLR bag itself - my oldest dd is a teen, so no Disney theme for her.

Under the flap:

Interior:

Daisy UPB set (sorry for the bad lighting on these) :

Interior:

Tigger UPB set (bad lighting here too) :

Then last November - right before Thanksgiving, I did a Crazy Days auction on my Facebook page... I worked on these bags in my spare time for several months...

Then, I have also starting doing custom DSLR camera straps - I really like these a lot.

Oh and one last thing... My youngest 13 y/o dd (V) wants to eat at CRT for our upcoming trip - it is something we have never done, because it is sooo expensive. I made a deal with her, that if she is able to earn half the cost of the meal, I will book it for her. So, she has starting making custom pin trading lanyards to sell, and she is doing quite well... She chooses all the fabric and themes. She has even managed to get a few orders out of it, I am very proud of her for coming up with a way to earn $$ and help out. So, these are her lanyards:

I think that is about all... Sorry there was so much to post - and again, for those of you that follow my PTR, sorry for the duplicate posts and pictures.

D~
The bags are just fab! I really like the ones with the ruffles. What a neat idea to have an insert for the DSLR bag so the bag can be used to carry other things too. I hope V will be able to sell enough landyards to make her dream come true!

Quote:
I love reading through this thread to see what everyone has been working on. What an amazing and creative group! I don't often comment on what is posted but I am always so inspired by everyone's work.

Judy
Great job on the set and having a common theme across the two items. I am sure the family really liked them. The overalls look very comfortable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I was asking because I have some insulbrite in my stash of stuff. You probably have the nicest lunch stuff at your work. I love that you have a Tiana place mat. How fun! I used to work with a lady who brought in a real fork and knife and a cloth place mat everyday. It made her sandwich look so much nicer.
I probably do have the nicest lunch stuff in my office, but that's because a good number of people in my office buy their lunches so they just have plastic cutlery. I am too cheap to buy lunches and it is much healthier to bring my own.

Quote:
We did decide on a summer trip... I just couldn't pull V out of her first year of high school in the first few weeks of school - nothing like setting someone up for failure. So, we switched and are going at the end of August - after the summer crowds simmer down... Hopefully we will be able to handle the heat.

There is no such thing as being behind in my PTR... You know that - and you know most everyone there. You are always welcome to pop in - even if it's just to say hi.

D~
The end of August is a great time to go. The lines are short and we honestly didn't find it too hot. Mind you, we tour the parks from rope drop to an early lunch, and heading back to the hotel for a nap prior to heading back out in the late afternoon. As a result, we were inside during the hottest part of the day.

Andrea - I lost your quote but I am sorry to hear that the flu bug is making its round at your house. I hope your son will recovery quickly and your daughter can escape unscathed.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM   #2480
DMGeurts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

The end of August is a great time to go. The lines are short and we honestly didn't find it too hot. Mind you, we tour the parks from rope drop to an early lunch, and heading back to the hotel for a nap prior to heading back out in the late afternoon. As a result, we were inside during the hottest part of the day.
This is exactly how we tour most days too, so I am hoping that the heat won't be too bad for us. I worry about Alli most, because she suffered from heat exhaustion (we think) last year - and they say once you get it, you are more at risk...

D~
Old 01-22-2013, 12:05 PM   #2481
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Did you use snap tape on the legs?
I didn't this time but I have before. I'm just never as happy with the look and I always found it just as easy to take the overalls off to change a baby vs doing all of the snaps up again!

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:13 PM   #2482
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Just chiming in with my 2 cents worth on doing WDW at the end of August. I also think it's a great time to go, but I will admit I like heat and and SW Ontario does get humid in the summer.

Like others have said, we go early and leave before the hottest part of the day. We then like to go back in the evening and stay late. We've had some great interactions with characters at the end of the night.

----
Judy (wishing she had a ticker that said she was going again this August )

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #2483
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Very pretty and that really is a Cindy blue. I have a lampshade I have used for full skirts in the past too What contest are you entering?

I don't see a section for sewing, but don't forget about the pillow cases for GKTW as well.
The contest is on pattern review. 1 pattern, many looks.

I don't think there is a section for sewing but I do know that agencies do take donations over to the orphanages when they go if they can. I will be making some things to take with me and leave there when I go.

Everything has been so cute. Love the bags and the Rapunzel inspired dress and overalls. So inspiring to see so many things posted and looking so great. It looks like a few of us have slowed down on sewing since the holidays and that's why I joined the contest so I would have to get back into it. It's a good break from packing.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #2484
nowellsl
my car finds out everytime I have money

Quote:
This is exactly how we tour most days too, so I am hoping that the heat won't be too bad for us. I worry about Alli most, because she suffered from heat exhaustion (we think) last year - and they say once you get it, you are more at risk...

D~
We've been many times in May, and August and I don't think August is any worse! It is more humid in August and there are more afternoon thunderstorms (but those actually cool things off a little bit). It is hurricane season, so you may want to look into trip insurance! It's been a while, but I remember a few years ago having school cancelled in late August because of a hurricane. (We start back to school a couple of weeks before the end of August). It WILL be hot, don't get me wrong, but I've been in May when the highs were in the 90's!
nowellsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #2485
DMGeurts

Thanks everyone for your heat tips! I really appreciate it.

I have another question...

We just found out that Josh's brother and his wife are having a BOY!!! Yay!!!

Even though I had dreams of making adorable little girly things for them - I am now needing to figure out some adorable little man things to make... I would love some ideas! Remember - they live in The Netherlands - so it's typically colder there.

Definately making him a little flannel quilt - I had one for the girls and I loved it! It was so snuggly!

Thanks for any and all help you can give me!

D~
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #2486
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I didn't this time but I have before. I'm just never as happy with the look and I always found it just as easy to take the overalls off to change a baby vs doing all of the snaps up again!

Judy
That's true. Especially with overalls.

Quote:
----
I like your signature and I with the same thing!

Quote:

Even though I had dreams of making adorable little girly things for them - I am now needing to figure out some adorable little man things to make... I would love some ideas! Remember - they live in The Netherlands - so it's typically colder there.

D~
I'd look into getting a copy or two of Ottobre magazine. It is filled with tons of baby patterns and lots of them are boy patterns. They have the cutest boy things in there. Some are bit more challenging to sew than others. The most recent issue has the cutest set with a onesie, zippered hoodie and little pants for a baby boy. There is also a pattern for baby jammies and a one piece romper.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #2487
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:

Definately making him a little flannel quilt - I had one for the girls and I loved it! It was so snuggly!

D~
How about some cute and warm booties ? A sleep sack ? Even a car seat cover that protects the baby from the weather ?

I finally got all 3 of my dresses done for the contest. I took the third one further than the other two in design. All from one pattern, Simplicity 1922.

And all 3 together..... I don't have my live model til the end of this week.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #2488
ArieBella
Earning My Ears

Just wanted to post my admiration to all of you DISboutiquers! All of your creations are beautiful and I'm officially jealous of the talent on this thread! I hope to one day add sewing and embroidery to my list of craftiness but I'm not there yet. Have to talk DH into a machine first

ArieBella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #2489
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieBella View Post
Just wanted to post my admiration to all of you DISboutiquers! All of your creations are beautiful and I'm officially jealous of the talent on this thread! I hope to one day add sewing and embroidery to my list of craftiness but I'm not there yet. Have to talk DH into a machine first
Welcome ! I just got my first machine last summer. I didn't even know how to sew before April 2012. Check craigslist for a machine, you could get lucky. It's not the machine cost i worry about, it's the fabric and how much you end up buying because it's just so cute !
Old 01-22-2013, 08:11 PM   #2490
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

D~
I think you guys will be fine. We are used to dry, cool summers and we managed in the heat and humidity (even though my hair turned into a nightmare!) I got heat exhaustion at Studios during our first trip (which was in May) but I haven't had any problems since then.

Quote:
Just chiming in with my 2 cents worth on doing WDW at the end of August. I also think it's a great time to go, but I will admit I like heat and and SW Ontario does get humid in the summer.

Like others have said, we go early and leave before the hottest part of the day. We then like to go back in the evening and stay late. We've had some great interactions with characters at the end of the night.

----
I totally agree with you on the ticker! I lived in SW Ontario for almost 10 years so I know what you mean by hot and humid!

Quote:

D~
How exciting to be able to sew for someone new! How about hats, mittens and booties to keep his little head, hands and feet warm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
How about some cute and warm booties ? A sleep sack ? Even a car seat cover that protects the baby from the weather ?

I finally got all 3 of my dresses done for the contest. I took the third one further than the other two in design. All from one pattern, Simplicity 1922.

And all 3 together..... I don't have my live model til the end of this week.

All 3 dresses look beautiful. I hope you will do well at the contest!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArieBella View Post
Welcome! All you have to do is to just sit down and start sewing! I look forward to seeing pictures of your creations!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: