Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
meuseman
Disney Parks Game Afficianado

Terrible Mickey Interaction at Animal Kingdom

I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

so you're mad because Mickey wanted to take pictures and then sign the books? seriously? I'm sorry but that seems really picky to me. Was the Mickey acting inappropriately?

I really don't want to sound harsh or mean and I'm sorry if I do but it just seems as though you could just tell your kids to smile first and they would listen.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Wow, that's terrible. Feel bad for your kids, especially your young son.

Little kids like your son are all about routine, because that's their opportunity to have some control over their life. For Mickey to not sign before pictures seriously frustrated him, I'm sure.

What happened to "go with the flow", Disney? Everything in life won't go as planned. :sad2

The customer is always right.

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

Old 01-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseman
I just wanted to share this experience with you all. I'll send an e-mail to guest satisfaction, but I was pretty shocked when it happened.

I have a DD(5) and a DS(2) who are both experienced Disney Fans. Both have grown up, knowing from before they could talk, how Disney character interactions work. They ask the character for an autograph, wait patiently while the character signs, the character will hand the book back to the kid, who hands it back to the parent and when the books are in parent's hands you turn and smile for picture. With the exception of those characters that cannot sign, this is always the routine. Sometime there is banter, and kisses and hugs, but without fail, it's autographs then picture.

On Friday, we went to AK for rope drop and were second in line for Mickey when Camp Minnie Mickey opened. Mickey took the books, then refused to sign them until pictures were taken. My son started crying, saying "Please sign book, please sign book" but Mickey would not sign. My kids wouldn't turn around, because they know they need to give their books back to us. At one point, Mickey put the books behind his back, causing my son to cry more.

The cast member handler kept saying "Mickey takes pictures and then signs!" but that has never been my experience.

Finally, I picked up my son, took my daughters hand, DW asked Mickey for the books which were without signatures and we got no pictures.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? The event left a very sour taste for the rest of the day.
I agree that not usually how it's done, but I don't understand why the order is important. This would not bother my family enough to remember 5 minutes later.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
Old 01-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
meredith1
DIS Veteran

I taught for over ten years and have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old twins so, I completely understand the need for structure but, along with that, comes flexibility. So sorry you guys left without getting what you set out for...and hopefully you guys can try again before leaving.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 01-22-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
DeluxePrincess
Humming the Farm Town song...

I think if the handler told you that this Mickey will take a pic first, you could have assured your DS that it was ok. I think leaving without the autograph probably upset your kids more than waiting for it would have.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
Juliet25
DIS Veteran

Aww, poor little guy! Sounds like you got a disgruntled Mickey. That sure wasn't a very guest friendly experience!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
Lynn5700
WOO HOO I will be there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf4283
so you're mad because Mickey wanted to take pictures and then sign the books? seriously? I'm sorry but that seems really picky to me. Was the Mickey acting inappropriately?

I really don't want to sound harsh or mean and I'm sorry if I do but it just seems as though you could just tell your kids to smile first and they would listen.
I know...is this real life? Like do parents really get mad over something like this? Wow, just wow.

I really don't see what the big deal was. I highly doubt that Mickey was trying to ruin your kids' day.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
meuseman
Disney Parks Game Afficianado

I think the order is important because that is how the kids are used to doing it. A 2-year old can't rationalize why Mickey is holding his book behind his back and a cast member is telling him to turn around, when no other interaction - out of probably 30 on this trip - works that way.

All Mickey had to do was sign the book, and the whole scene could have been avoided. But he refused, held the book behind his back, and kept trying to turn my son around for pictures.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
meggiebeth
Have faith in your dreams and someday your rainbow will come smiling through...

What a stubborn Mickey. Why was it such a big deal for him to sign autographs before taking pictures? That just seems unreasonable. And hiding the books behind his back was rather un-Mickey-like too.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

$5 A Day Means Disney MY Way! An October TR
~Our 18 day trip to Walt Disney World. Deluxe Dining Plan, Keys to the Kingdom Tour,
MNSSHP, Epcot Food & Wine Festival and MVMCP all in one trip!~

Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #11
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I have seen them take the photo and then sign on occasion. Maybe if you had assured the kids that it was fine, that Mickey wanted to take pics first, they would have been fine with it.
I also have to point out that you're talking about a two year old as though he has years of experience with this and is completely thrown by a different procedure....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #12
Golf4283
Mouseketeer

I know your 2 year old can't rationalize like you said but maybe you can take this opportunity to teach your kids that not everything is going to be exactly what you expect and we can try again.

My wife and I both agree that schedules for kids are important but if we don't keep an element of randomness, our kids will have a harder time adapting in situations. It's going to be tough to do but we have to try.

Also in regards to hiding the books behind his back I take it as more of a playful way of like "nuh uh uh not until you smile!"
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
rewardsinlife
Mouseketeer

Well, Disney has the prerogative to change things up to make them more magical! Perhaps, it was decided that pictures before autographs were more efficient way to do things.

Example: when a child first interacts and sees a character for the first time...they are very excited and happy. If the child waits for autographs first and then picture..that excitement isn't as high which would give a more 'forced' smile rather than true happiness...

Or..

Practicality reasons. Take pic. First...then while signatures are given..next set of people can already be posing and ready for the character to slip in place for the pic. Moves the line.

Should the cm or the photographer tell everyone in the line before they opened it that pics will come first today and then autographs..yes. It would have been smoother.

Do you need to adapt to the new ways if you want to get a pic. And autograph from the character...yes. Trips are not going to go perfectly..and the way you adapt to changes will determine how well they will end up going. Life is full of changes...but I think this one..you should be able to reasonably explain to your children and understand that is how it is going to be.

me on the way to DL...every time!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #14
meredith1
DIS Veteran

You never know what was going on with the person playing Mickey...perhaps there was an issue you were unaware of where the order needed to be changed for a person or two....Mickey can't communicate so, it sounds like the CM was trying handle a situation that you weren't aware of in the most appropriate way he/she knew how to.

DD 5 yrs twin DD & DS 3 yrs
Old 01-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #15
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by meuseman
I think the order is important because that is how the kids are used to doing it. A 2-year old can't rationalize why Mickey is holding his book behind his back and a cast member is telling him to turn around, when no other interaction - out of probably 30 on this trip - works that way.

All Mickey had to do was sign the book, and the whole scene could have been avoided. But he refused, held the book behind his back, and kept trying to turn my son around for pictures.
Being the time of year that it is, Mickey was probably "friends with" a brand new College Program Cast Member or one from a foreign country. It also sounds like the Attendant was new too! Filling out a Guest Comment card would improve the Meet and Greet experiences for you and others. I am sorry that happened to your kids...most of the Mice go with the flow to give the guests the best experience possible!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: