Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #16
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom
If you can book a 2 year old in a room, there's no LEGAL reason you can't book a 3 year old in the room. It's a hotel policy.
Fire codes are legal reasons.
Despite its size, a king bed's expected occupancy is two people.
Your hotel choice limits the number of guests three and older to two persons in a room where the bed configuration holds two persons.
Your party consists of three persons ages three and older.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

You can get a king bed with two adults and an infant. What about fire code then?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #18
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12
You can get a king bed with two adults and an infant. What about fire code then?
If the infant is under 3, they don't count against the room occupancy.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lililoo12 View Post
That's already been explained. People carry babies when they evacuate a hotel during a fire. The halls and stairwells are designed to accommodate a certain number of people. There's no law that says that children over 3 have to walk and all 2 year olds have to be carried, but they have to draw the line somewhere, and that's where it is.

OP, your other option is to book a deluxe resort with a king bed and a day bed.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM   #20
zy144622
Mouseketeer

You will not be able to book a king room at POR with more than 2 people but you can request it if you book a paid view of some sort. AB room have a Murphy and can sleep 3 easy with or with out pack n play. Again a request is not guaranteed but could happen. Go to the POR threads for details of faxing your request with good odds for pixie dust.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:47 PM   #21
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622
AB room have a Murphy and can sleep 3 easy with or with out pack n play.
I'm sorry but a king room, even in AB, has a king bed only. No murphy bed.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM   #22
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zy144622 View Post
You will not be able to book a king room at POR with more than 2 people but you can request it if you book a paid view of some sort. AB room have a Murphy and can sleep 3 easy with or with out pack n play. Again a request is not guaranteed but could happen. Go to the POR threads for details of faxing your request with good odds for pixie dust.
They won't honor a request that would end up having more people in a room than what the fire code allows. The OP has to come to grips with the fact that she has now outgrown the king bedded rooms, as far as Disney is concerned. And there is no way around that fact.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #23
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

wow...it seems like some pp's are being kind of..mean.... sorry OP....obviously it's a rule there. I agree, what's the diff between a kid who'll be 3 in a week vs. a kid who turned 3 a week ago....there isn't any difference.And who cares where he sleeps? that's reality, but I guess it's the rules..... do what you will with the information.....
maybe you can sleep with ds in one bed?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missytara View Post
This one.

I am an architect and in hotel/resort situations, it is "assumed" that a parent will carry a child under the age of 3, thus a child is not taking up space in the exit corridors or stairs.

Once they become the age of 3, it is an industry standard that the child has the potential to walk on their own and does take up space in the corridor or exit stairs, so they must be counted towards occupancy.

It is not by accident they do this, it is a federal mandated code.

Good catch.
Interesting. I have learned something new.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
wow...it seems like some pp's are being kind of..mean.... sorry OP....obviously it's a rule there. I agree, what's the diff between a kid who'll be 3 in a week vs. a kid who turned 3 a week ago....there isn't any difference.And who cares where he sleeps? that's reality, but I guess it's the rules..... do what you will with the information.....
maybe you can sleep with ds in one bed?
How is explaining the rules mean? Seriously?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #26
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

..And I quote.... it just seemed kind of like there was no sympathy for OP's current story..when she hadn't done anything wrong.... I DO sympathize,since it isn't logical, but I do agree,yes, as many here have stated, it IS the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgirl View Post
Just because they did it doesn't mean it's allowed.

We see posts all the time of people saying things are okay because they got away with it.

Hey, if you stole a bunch of steaks from a supermarket is it okay as long as you (a general you) don't get caught?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #27
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmamato2 View Post
..And I quote.... it just seemed kind of like there was no sympathy for OP's current story..when she hadn't done anything wrong.... I DO sympathize,since it isn't logical, but I do agree,yes, as many here have stated, it IS the rule.
I do have sympathy for the OP. I'm just worried by how many Go Ahead and Do It posts there were. And a few that made statements that just are not true! "There is no legal reason for it. Just make a request for it". Not good advice at all! It is frightening that someone could try and follow that advice and end up with a ruined vacation.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM   #28
DisneyGal24
Always dreaming of Disney!

I have read this whole thread and I am confused about one thing. Why was I able to get a non-handicapped king room at Pop with Dh and Dd who was 4 at the time? We booked it with two adults and one child. We were not trying to get away with anything. This was 2 years ago. Did Pop just mess up or have he occupancy rules changed? Also, I don't think OP is trying to get around the rule either. They just don't understand why it's different once a child turns 3. By reading PP I think that has been explained by now though.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Now, stop telling the OP her days in a king sized bed at WDW have come to an end. She can book a DVC one bedroom and get a king in the master bedroom and either one queen sleeper sofa or one queen sleeper sofa and a twin sized sleeper chair in the living room.

It's just gonna cost her a bunch more.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:33 PM   #30
caffeinegirl47
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I'm sorry but a king room, even in AB, has a king bed only. No murphy bed.
I think that now post-refurb, King Rooms now do have the extra bed. (before the refurb, the extra bed was a trundle bed. King Rooms did not have the trundle.)

From PortOrleans.org:

"Additionally, Alligator Bayou rooms (only) include an extra fold-down Murphy bed located over the banquette bench seat (including King Bed rooms). These beds are about 63" in length and are suitable for children aged up to about ten years, but would probably be too small for most adults over 5 ft in height. Note: the only way to guarantee this feature is by having a party of five people at Riverside, or by booking a Preferred Location room"

If there are indeed beds that provide sleeping space for 3 in the rooms (2 in King, 1 in Murphy), anyone know how does that work with the fire code? The new Murphy beds were just recently installed and it seems silly for Disney to have installed them if they can't actually be slept in. (Although I can imagine a scenario where it was cheaper for Disney to bulk order the Murphy Bed/bench/storage drawers setup for all of the rooms and install them as a standard, even in rooms where the Murphy bed would never be used. Gotta love large corporations )

OP, I would also re-ask your question on the POR thread. Andre or someone else may have experience with your specific situation. The thread can be found here.

Off Topic: Anyone know where to find out more about the fire code regulations? This was new info for me too, and it's the kind of slightly weird topic that really interests me. (I'm tons of fun at parties, really )
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: