Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #1
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

New site is fighting me to book a king bed with child

So, we usually just chuck DS between us in a king sized bed when we travel with him. He's too big for a pack n play but too small to sleep alone in a strange bed when traveling. He'll be just-turned three when we will likely be at WDW later this year.

We had previously booked (and needed to reschedule) a king bedroom at POR. Room only. When we said he was 2, we could book king, but if we said he was 3, king was no longer available. I guess that's the threshold where they consider him to be a big kid. That booking was late last year, and since then there's been fabulous website updates.

Now, if I book a vacation PACKAGE, I can book a king bedroom by calling DS 2, but then I'll need to buy a separate park ticket for him, because he'll be 3 and need a ticket for the parks. Which is fine. But if I try to buy the ROOM ONLY, even if I call him 2, or an infant, it says the king room is unavailable because the party size exceeds capacity (even though the room is clearly available to book an under-3 in, because I can do it with a package). The same room, same parameters, different results based on whether I try to book package or room-only.

I'm not trying to scam anyone. I'll pay for DS to get into the park. I just want a room with a king bed, because that's how we sleep on vacation. On a cruise ship, we need to pay for each person in a room, because of lifeboat capacity, but I want to spend 3 nights at WDW, why is this so hard?

I don't know why the stupid website is fighting with me, and I'm concerned that the package that lets me book now will go away if they "update" the website further.

Has anyone had better luck calling? I hate spending 40 minutes on the phone for something I can theoretically do online.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Sorry, if your DS is 3 he counts towards the room occupancy. King rooms are legal for 2 people 3+ only.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
merina888
Mouseketeer

As PP said, at 3 he counts toward room occupancy since most 3 year olds don't sleep in a pack-n-play. I think if Disney allows this, it violates fire codes and such. However, try calling and see what a CM says.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merina888
I think if Disney allows this, it violates fire codes and such.
Yes, it would definitely be in violation of fire code.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #5
RookieLady
Mouseketeer

Yes, talk to a CM. My mother and father took my son when he was 3 and he slept between them in the king.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

It's not illegal. They are the same rooms as those with double beds, just with one fewer bed. They are fire-rated to the same occupancy as the rooms with 2 queens. The fire hazard is in cramming pack n plays in there, blocking the exits. There is no legal requirement that changes an occupant's status from "okay" to "not okay" between ages 2 and 3. If you can book a 2 year old in a room, there's no LEGAL reason you can't book a 3 year old in the room. It's a hotel policy.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom
If you can book a 2 year old in a room, there's no LEGAL reason you can't book a 3 year old in the room. It's a hotel policy.
Yes there is. A 2 year old is expected to be carried by an adult in case of emergency. A 3 year old is expected to walk on their own. When designing hallways, stairs etc for escaping the architect takes into effect how many double rooms (4) and how many kings (2) are on each floor and total in the building.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
Missytara
I'm all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Yes there is. A 2 year old is expected to be carried by an adult in case of emergency. A 3 year old is expected to walk on their own. When designing hallways, stairs etc for escaping the architect takes into effect how many double rooms (4) and how many kings (2) are on each floor and total in the building.
This one.

I am an architect and in hotel/resort situations, it is "assumed" that a parent will carry a child under the age of 3, thus a child is not taking up space in the exit corridors or stairs.

Once they become the age of 3, it is an industry standard that the child has the potential to walk on their own and does take up space in the corridor or exit stairs, so they must be counted towards occupancy.

It is not by accident they do this, it is a federal mandated code.

Good catch.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by manateesmom View Post
So, we usually just chuck DS between us in a king sized bed when we travel with him. He's too big for a pack n play but too small to sleep alone in a strange bed when traveling. He'll be just-turned three when we will likely be at WDW later this year.

We had previously booked (and needed to reschedule) a king bedroom at POR. Room only. When we said he was 2, we could book king, but if we said he was 3, king was no longer available. I guess that's the threshold where they consider him to be a big kid. That booking was late last year, and since then there's been fabulous website updates.

Now, if I book a vacation PACKAGE, I can book a king bedroom by calling DS 2, but then I'll need to buy a separate park ticket for him, because he'll be 3 and need a ticket for the parks. Which is fine. But if I try to buy the ROOM ONLY, even if I call him 2, or an infant, it says the king room is unavailable because the party size exceeds capacity (even though the room is clearly available to book an under-3 in, because I can do it with a package). The same room, same parameters, different results based on whether I try to book package or room-only.

I'm not trying to scam anyone. I'll pay for DS to get into the park. I just want a room with a king bed, because that's how we sleep on vacation. On a cruise ship, we need to pay for each person in a room, because of lifeboat capacity, but I want to spend 3 nights at WDW, why is this so hard?

I don't know why the stupid website is fighting with me, and I'm concerned that the package that lets me book now will go away if they "update" the website further.

Has anyone had better luck calling? I hate spending 40 minutes on the phone for something I can theoretically do online.
Keep in mind, too, that even if you feel you've figured out a "work around" Disney does reserve the right to make changes to your reservation. Views, Rooms, heck, even Resorts aren't guaranteed.

TY Kook!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #10
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Sorry, if your DS is 3 he counts towards the room occupancy. King rooms are legal for 2 people 3+ only.
Yup, this.

When we traveled with my DS3 we just requested the bed rails.
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
ccgirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieLady View Post
Yes, talk to a CM. My mother and father took my son when he was 3 and he slept between them in the king.
Just because they did it doesn't mean it's allowed.

We see posts all the time of people saying things are okay because they got away with it.

Hey, if you stole a bunch of steaks from a supermarket is it okay as long as you (a general you) don't get caught?
Pre-Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2503063
Oct 2011 - F&W AKL and BCV
May 2012 - HGVC SeaWorld
Old 01-22-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Sorry, but you are over occupancy for a king room. As mentioned, it is against the fire code. And Disney could in theory kick you out of your room if you have more people in it than they allow. Or make you pay for a second room.

Also, you can book a certain room type, and not get it. I'm the poster child for that, unfortunately. Been downgraded from a paid for room type. Twice.

Could you not make do with 2 queen beds?
Old 01-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Sorry, OP. Your days of booking a king bed at a Disney resort are now over. Get used to it now. And you aren't going to get any support on this board for trying to work around Disney policies. You have a 3 year old now, not a 2 year old.

Get a standard room with 2 beds and request bedrails for your child.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

You can get a bed rail free of charge for the bed for your child.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
lililoo12
Mouseketeer

My kids were in beds by 2.5 yrs old
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: