Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #76
6disneykids
Mouseketeer

I had a lot of fun with this tool, I added up where our current ADRs are for on our up coming trip, and TiW is the best $ option for us, however, my wonderful husband saw it and said, I still want to do DxDP, (difference was about $80), if we had to use a gift card or credit card after each meal, he would order the least expensive thing, want to share it, and have no snacks for anyone. So any savings aren't worth it to him, he'd rather pay upfront, and not think about it anymore so he could enjoy his vacation.
6disneykids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #77
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

I get it but

I know its safe to say for my family the dining plan always saves us the headache of budgeting for food AND when we go on vacation we tend to eat more than when we are home and choose more expensive items.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #78
AngiTN
Mouseketeer

Both of these are why I've done the DP in one way or another on all of our trips. It's just easier. It neither saves or costs us money. But the ease of dining is worth a lot to me (and DH) so it is the safe choice for us. We never share meals and I love not having to look at the cost of a menu item. This trip we even got GC to cover tips. If we wanted to we could go and never spend a single cent OOP (though I know we'll hit up a shop or two)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6disneykids View Post
I had a lot of fun with this tool, I added up where our current ADRs are for on our up coming trip, and TiW is the best $ option for us, however, my wonderful husband saw it and said, I still want to do DxDP, (difference was about $80), if we had to use a gift card or credit card after each meal, he would order the least expensive thing, want to share it, and have no snacks for anyone. So any savings aren't worth it to him, he'd rather pay upfront, and not think about it anymore so he could enjoy his vacation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG View Post
I know its safe to say for my family the dining plan always saves us the headache of budgeting for food AND when we go on vacation we tend to eat more than when we are home and choose more expensive items.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #79
El Perro
Earning My Ears

This is awesome! Thanks for posting!

Best use of it I've found is to compare whether the dining plan or room discount is a better deal (Free Dining or Resort Discount tab). We're actually better off getting the free dining plan and paying rack rate for our cabin - but not by much (about $130).

This also confirms that the changes they made this year (eliminating appetizers for adults at TS restaurants) means that the regular dining plan is no longer a good value. I don't think there's any reason to get the dining plan anymore unless it's free AND you save more money over a "room only" discount. That's become increasingly rare.

Last edited by El Perro; 01-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.
El Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #80
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Perro View Post
This also confirms that the changes they made this year (eliminating appetizers for adults at TS restaurants) means that the regular dining plan is no longer a good value. I don't think there's any reason to get the dining plan anymore unless it's free AND you save more money over a "room only" discount. That's become increasingly rare.
Appetizers have not been available on the regular dining plan for the last couple of years. They are still available on the DxDP only.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:56 AM   #81
SPHB ILU
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen2PrincessG
We used to be the same way! This time we are putting the amount the DDP would cost onto a gift card. Then whatever we saved, we are going to use on souvenirs! We even said we would order as if we had DDP.
SPHB ILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #82
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
Both of these are why I've done the DP in one way or another on all of our trips. It's just easier. It neither saves or costs us money. But the ease of dining is worth a lot to me (and DH) so it is the safe choice for us. We never share meals and I love not having to look at the cost of a menu item. This trip we even got GC to cover tips. If we wanted to we could go and never spend a single cent OOP (though I know we'll hit up a shop or two)
this is so weird for me because when I did hte DDP eating was a million times more stressful.. It literally took all the enjoyment out of eating because I was spending more time mentally calculating what to order to maximize the plan instead of just ordering what I wanted.

I remember my husband looking at me like I was crazy one night because all Ireally wanted was a salad for dinner but instead got a steak because god forbid I didn't maximize the credits. I remember forcing myself to eat dessert even though I was full to bursting because "couldn't waste those credits".

Then I always laugh at people on their last day, running around the resort store trying to buy up junk after junk because they don't want to leave the 99 snack credits on the table.

DDP doesn't save us money and definitley doesn't make dining easier or more relaxing.

thanks for the tool OP
Old 01-23-2013, 11:16 AM   #83
Braden's Momma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN
I'm wondering if some of you have browser settings that are preventing the sign in box from opening. I have had it work fine with Chrome on both a MAC and a PC. I have all default settings on Chrome on both systems. So if you are having issues with your browser letting you even download it, try Chrome. It works for me.
How do you get google chrome?

(DH 32) (ME 27) (DS 7) (DD 3)

Annie

1985-1989 -Florida Resident - Multiple Day Trips
2000 - Off Property
2010 (May)- Port Orleans Riverside (Mansions)
2011 (May)- Caribbean Beach - Pirate Room - 1st Trip w/ our son
March 2013 - POR - 1st trip w/ our 4 yo !
Braden's Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #84
AngiTN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden's Momma View Post
How do you get google chrome?
Google "Google Chrome"
click first link to come up
download
Old 01-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #85
AngiTN
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
this is so weird for me because when I did hte DDP eating was a million times more stressful.. It literally took all the enjoyment out of eating because I was spending more time mentally calculating what to order to maximize the plan instead of just ordering what I wanted.

I remember my husband looking at me like I was crazy one night because all Ireally wanted was a salad for dinner but instead got a steak because god forbid I didn't maximize the credits. I remember forcing myself to eat dessert even though I was full to bursting because "couldn't waste those credits".

Then I always laugh at people on their last day, running around the resort store trying to buy up junk after junk because they don't want to leave the 99 snack credits on the table.

DDP doesn't save us money and definitley doesn't make dining easier or more relaxing.

thanks for the tool OP
Shows a good example of how different touring styles work for different people. If it wasn't paid in advance my DH would worry daily that something would go wrong and we'd have zero money and need to eat. It's how his mind works. Doomsday I call it. Him knowing it's all paid before we walk through gates is worth lots.

Even selecting Low on the calculator showed we are breaking even with the dining plan vs. OOP. Avg was just slightly different. High was more in the favor of dining plan. Other factors are we will order a beverage 100% of the time. We'd order an app (to share) about 50% of the time. Desert less, more like 25%. Still didn't work against us money wise to use the DP.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #86
stitch1094
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstopdisneymom View Post
Does anyone know if this takes into account purchasing the refillable mug? Our savings OOP would be $150 Vs getting the dining plan. BUT if you add in having to purchase the cups at $16 a piece x5 that would bring our savings down to $70. We use our Refillable Mug a lot so I know we would be purchasing them.

Just use the mugs from a prior trip!
stitch1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #87
tlkgt76
"If you can dream it, you can do it." Walt Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPHB ILU View Post
Hey everyone! I found a great tool online for calculating the best Disney Dining Plan for me (and you)! These people I subscribe to on YouTube just uploaded a video explaining this CRAZY spreadsheet they have! You put in where you are going to eat and some other things like adults and kids and how much you tip and stuff and it shows you how much you should budget for meals if paying cash and shows how much you save or lose with each Disney Dining Plan. It's AMAZING!!!!!!!!! (oh and for you lucky people who can get Tables in Wonderland it does that too!)

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jMDg...456VJg&index=1

The website with the file is here: http:/www.seeyareelsoon.wix.com/seeyareelsoon

Of course it is free! I just had to share this because I found out that by not getting a Dining Plan I am going to spend $150 less on food!!! More money for souvenirs!

Greatest tool EVER!!

AWESOME!! Thanks for posting!
ASM - September 2009
Pop/AKL - December 2011
Disney Dream/Poly/CBR-Pirate - March/April 2013

tlkgt76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #88
Abharmagic
DIS Veteran

This is truly FANTASTIC!!! I have been playing with it for days since I downloaded it. Thanks!!!!!
April 2013
Next Trip- Universal Summer 2014! Can't wait!
Abharmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM   #89
princessap
DIS Veteran

I can't get the link to work
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 PM   #90
princessap
DIS Veteran

I couldn't get drop box to drop down. Am using a Mac is that the problem?
princessap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: