Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #1
sehandiph
Mouseketeer

Starter, Side(s) and Dessert Only

Hi all,

may be a silly question - but can you eat at one of the restaurants (eg Le Cellier) and just have a starter (really want to try the cheese soup) and then maybe just some sides and a dessert each? ie not having a main course or is this frowned on??

We don't eat huge portions and soup with a side each is probably enough for us - may have room (or not) for dessert.

we will not be on the dining plan

Shezzy
sehandiph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

As long as you are not on a DDP, and you are at an a la carte restaurant (not a buffet, dinner show, or family style place), then you can order whatever you want. There is nothing that would require you to order an entree.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
Tiggr924
Fun, fun, fun, fun, FUN!

We plan to do something similar this summer. We've never done it before, but looking to try new restaurants.

1986 ~ Hotel Plaza 1988,1991,1993 off-site 1995,1997 ~Doubletree, Hotel Plaza 2000, 2003, 2005 All-Star Movies 2006, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2013 Caribbean Beach Resort 2008, 2009, 2010 Port Orleans Riverside
Tiggr924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #4
sehandiph
Mouseketeer

Thanks minnie mum - never thought of it like that
Old 01-21-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

We are doing some of the same and getting a bit more mileage out of our dining plan that way b/c I am not a big eater, so we will have my hubby's meals at some places taken off the DP but will pay OOP for my appetizer and side. Then we'll share his dessert. Saves money and keeps me from feeling bloated!

Incidentally, this will be our first time on the DP - Will they automatically apply it to the highest price meal if everyone isn't using a credit or do you have to specify and do they typically get it right?
1/31-2/9/14
fuzzlekins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
ranman1973
Earning My Ears

Based on the above, it sounds like sharesy's are okay too. My wife and I like to order a single appy and a single entre.
ranman1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
We are doing some of the same and getting a bit more mileage out of our dining plan that way b/c I am not a big eater, so we will have my hubby's meals at some places taken off the DP but will pay OOP for my appetizer and side. Then we'll share his dessert. Saves money and keeps me from feeling bloated!

Incidentally, this will be our first time on the DP - Will they automatically apply it to the highest price meal if everyone isn't using a credit or do you have to specify and do they typically get it right?
What is your plan for your leftover credits, if you are paying OOP for your meal? Each of you has to have the plan for each night of your stay. So according to the above, you are going to have extra credits.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
What is your plan for your leftover credits, if you are paying OOP for your meal? Each of you has to have the plan for each night of your stay. So according to the above, you are going to have extra credits.
We're not doing it at every meal b/c some are the type that you pay a flat rate per person (character dining etc.), but we're spending 2 more days there than we'll be in Disney parks, and we need double credits for Hoop Dee Doo Revue so it works out well.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 01-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #9
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Oops, forgot to mention that you could also do some TS lunches and CS breakfasts to use up extra credits, although we won't need to do that.
1/31-2/9/14
Old 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
bloodonthesaddle
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you need to do more research on the dining plan as you will have credits for each person on your reservation for each night of your stay. If you choose the dxddp you can use the credits for either counter service or table service, if you have the basic you will get one counter service and one table service credit per person per day that are not interchangeable. The hoop dee Doo will take care of one days dinner credit, however from the plan you communicated you will have credits left over, wasting your money.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #11
sehandiph
Mouseketeer

thanks all,

I feel a bit braver about giving it a try and sharing
Old 01-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #12
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzlekins View Post
We're not doing it at every meal b/c some are the type that you pay a flat rate per person (character dining etc.), but we're spending 2 more days there than we'll be in Disney parks, and we need double credits for Hoop Dee Doo Revue so it works out well.
Are you staying in a Disney hotel the days you are not doing a park?
The credits expire at midnight of checkout day and can not be used beyond that. So if you are staying offsite the extra days, you will not be able to use saved credits.
I agree with PP, make sure you understand the plan. I get that HDDR takes 2 credits, but it still seems you will have extra. As bloodonthesaddle explained, you will have CS credits for lunch as well. That precludes using extra TS credits at lunch.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:06 AM   #13
fuzzlekins
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Are you staying in a Disney hotel the days you are not doing a park?
The credits expire at midnight of checkout day and can not be used beyond that. So if you are staying offsite the extra days, you will not be able to use saved credits.
I agree with PP, make sure you understand the plan. I get that HDDR takes 2 credits, but it still seems you will have extra. As bloodonthesaddle explained, you will have CS credits for lunch as well. That precludes using extra TS credits at lunch.
Nope, we're all good and accounted for ... spreadsheeted out in fact. We're doing several dinners that don't allow for anything but TS credit usage for each person, so I really only had a couple of extra credits to work with in this case. And yes, we're staying on Disney property for the whole stay but doing day trips to Sea World and IOA two of the days. It's not very hard to spend meal credits since the regular dining plan only includes 1 CS and 1 TS meal per day, which doesn't account for breakfast. We're using some CS credits for breakfasts at the resort. As I understand it, we'll simply have a "bank" of 8 CS and 8 TS credits per person to use for our 8-night trip. How and when we use them should be up to us, so I plan on splitting them such that we're not necessarily using both credits at every meal - we'll do some OOP as a supplement. So my only question is whether they will automatically apply a DP credit against the most expensive meal or do we have to specify which meal goes against the DP?
1/31-2/9/14

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: