Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Better late than never? September 2012 Report -COMPLETE!

Our trip was 5 months ago – I can’t believe it! After we returned home I couldn’t bring myself to start a trip report, I was too depressed the trip was over. I guess better late than never though, right?

This trip was specifically so my husband and I could attend my cousin’s wedding in London. DH works for a highly annoying company who hate approving leave during the year. He was lucky to get the 3 weeks he applied for. Our dates were (supposed to be) Friday August 31st to Sunday September 23rd.

On this trip we would visit Doha, Paris, London, Malta, Brussels and finally, Disneyland Paris. I’ll give you a basic report of our whole trip, paying extra attention to Disney. DH had never travelled to Europe before, so it was really cool seeing things through his eyes. We are foodies, so be prepared for lot’s of food pics.

Let’s get started!

We were booked to fly to Paris, via Doha, with Qatar Airways. We were due to leave Melbourne late Friday night after we’d both worked. I was already home frantically packing last minute items when DH pulled into the garage. His face didn’t look good. I questioned what was wrong. Qatar Airways had called and let him know that our flight was overbooked. As we had a 36 hour stop over booked in Doha, they were wondering if we would be prepared to be bumped off our flight that night – and rebooked in Business Class the next night. My mouth dropped – things like that just don’t happen to us! Needless to say we took their offer, and ended up at the airport 24 hours later.
We were given access to the Air New Zealand lounge in the International Terminal. We spent an hour or so in there using the wifi and relaxing.

When we were called to board we were taken through a separate gangway and straight into Business Class. We were seated in the very front aisle, against a window. The whole experience was amazing. We ate, we slept, we ate again, and we landed in Doha feeling so refreshed!

Although our flight had been delayed 24 hours, when we arrived in Doha we still had an 8 hour layover, and it was only about 6am. We had a room from the previous night booked and paid for at the Hilton Doha, so we thought we would go there for a few hours to shower, change and have breakfast. They sent the hotel car and driver to pick us up, and the trip to the city was quite short.

Doha is quite amazing. Much like most modern Arabic cities I imagine. The room we were given at the hotel was quite nice, and we enjoyed the chance to shower and change. We spent the time there having breakfast in their lounge, then walking around the grounds.

We went down to the pool area, and at 9am it was already close to 40 degrees and super windy.

When it was time we had the hotel call us a taxi, and we went back to the airport.

2014 Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe

July 2014 Spain/France Trip Report

Last edited by maryr1oz; 02-10-2013 at 07:17 PM.
maryr1oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Chapter Links

Better late than never?
Doha to Paris
Paris - Day 1
Paris - Day 2
Paris - Day 3
Paris to London
London - Day 1
Wedding Day
London - Day 3
London Day 4
London to Yorkshire to Luton
Luton to Malta
Malta - Day 1
Malta - Day 2
Malta - Day 3
Malta - Day 4
Malta to Brussels
Brussels Day - Part 1
Brussels Day - Part 2
Brussels - the Final Morning
Disney Arrival
Disney Day 1 - Part 1
Disney Day 1 - Part 2
Disney Day 1 - Part 3
Disney Day 2 - Part 1
Disney Day 2 - Part 2
Disney Day 2 - Part 3
Goodbye Disney, and Goodbye Europe

2014 Hong Kong Disneyland - Photo Thread - Trip Report - 2012 - Disneyland Paris -Newport Bay Club - Better late than never? - 2009 - Disneyland - Desert Inn and Suites - 2007 - Disneyland - Anaheim Plaza Inn - 2005 - Disneyland - Super 8 on Katella - 1998 - Disneyland Paris - Hotel Santa Fe

Last edited by maryr1oz; 02-10-2013 at 07:16 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 04:06 AM   #3
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Doha to Paris

When we were boarding for our next flight to Paris, there was another stroke of luck. My boarding pass made a beeping noise when scanned, as did DH’s. We were ushered to the side. The flight attendant smiled, printed new boarding passes and told us we’d been upgraded to Business Class for this flight also – definitely NOT part of our original deal! We were ecstatic.

We were given more Ferragamo pamper packs, more champagne and more food!

On this flight we watched a couple of movies, ate, and soon it was time to descend into Paris. I could not get over how much food is offered in Business Class. Not only do they offer meals quite regularly, there is a menu of on demand food available at all times.

On all of our Qatar Airways flights the staff were wonderful, I couldn’t recommend this airline any more highly for long distance travel.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #4
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Awesome!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #5
Aussie Wendy
DIS Veteran

Lucky! Sounds like a nice luxury start!
TR Exploration Europe

Me DH DD:

Aussie Wendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 AM   #6
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

I'll be lurking You have just been to some of my favourite places especially London and Malta so I'm looking forward to reading more

We are looking at Qatar for our flights to BKK and back from SIN this year though I doubt we'd get as lucky as you in Business ! What an amazing start

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
Minniemum
DIS Veteran

Looking at your fantastic photos, I'd take the Business Class option too!

DLR - 1/92 O/S, 3/99 O/S, 6/99 O/S, 3/05 DLH, 9/08 DLH, 9/09 DLH, 9/13 O/S
DLP - 9/98
DCL Fantasy Eastern Caribbean - 9/13
WDW - 4/98 O/S, 10/10 POP, 9/11 POFQ, 9/12 POFQ, 9/13 POFQ, 9/14 POFQ

Minniemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
areweindisneyyet
DIS Veteran

I'm in. Looking forward to it all. Malta is high in my list. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on DLP
Old 01-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #9
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Loving the TR so far. Looking forward to more.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #10
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Lucky duck getting BOTH sections of your flight upgraded! What an awesome start to your trip!

DH has heard good things about Qatar, so it's nice to hear from someone who's flown with them.
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #11
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Awesome!

It really was a great trip, as always it went by much too quickly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Wendy View Post
Lucky! Sounds like a nice luxury start!
It was amazing, something i'm sure we'll never be able to do again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie_Cat View Post
I'll be lurking You have just been to some of my favourite places especially London and Malta so I'm looking forward to reading more

We are looking at Qatar for our flights to BKK and back from SIN this year though I doubt we'd get as lucky as you in Business ! What an amazing start
Malta was great, i can't wait to recount it all again in this report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniemum View Post
Looking at your fantastic photos, I'd take the Business Class option too!
It's definitely something i never thought i'd be able to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by areweindisneyyet View Post
I'm in. Looking forward to it all. Malta is high in my list. Can't wait to hear your thoughts on DLP
Malta was great - i can't wait to write about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Shuttergirl View Post
Loving the TR so far. Looking forward to more.
Bet you're getting excited about your trip - not long to go now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
Lucky duck getting BOTH sections of your flight upgraded! What an awesome start to your trip!

DH has heard good things about Qatar, so it's nice to hear from someone who's flown with them.
Definitely recommend them - we came home in economy and it was great. Definitely better than Qantas - although i haven't flown on their A380's, so can't compare that.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
maryr1oz
Mouseketeer

Paris - Day 1

We arrived into Paris late on Sunday evening. I think it was about 8pm. It was quite quick to get through passport control, get baggage and out onto the street where we would catch the bus to the city. We went with Roissy-Bus, and it was very easy. I did wish we waited for the next bus though - we had to stand and it was packed. I didn't mind the standing, but the bus ride was SO bumpy, i kept on seeing people falling all over the place.

We stayed at the Hotel Paris France - http://www.paris-france-hotel.com/
I cannot recommend this hotel more highly. Yes, it's small, the rooms are small and the bathroom was tiny - but for the price we paid it was fantastic. The staff were great, it was quiet, and the location was perfect. We had a street view room, with an opening window. Seriously - recommended!!

Monday morning we woke early - jet lag i'd say - and i was up and ready to get outside. This was the only day of our trip where there was a little rain - until we got to DLP (of course!). We left the hotel and walked down to Notre Dame, via the Hotel de Ville.

Through the garden there and across one of the several padlock covered bridges.

We wound through the streets close to the bank, then across to the Louvre. Up through the Tuilleries, and along Champs-Elysees. We climbed the Arc de Triomphe - so many stairs!

From there we walked down to the Trocodero, and across to the Eiffel Tower. I had desperately wanted to go up the tower, but months before our trip tickets were sold out. I think there was a tourist flow on effect in Paris as the Olympics had just finished in London. As expected, the queue to wait was about 3 hours long - just not worth it.

We kept walking back towards Pl. des Invalides, and then back to the hotel via Notre Dame again.

Later in the evening, we caught the Metro down to the river and we boarded a sightseeing cruise. We'd timed it well for sunset, and then being able to see the Eiffel Tower sparkling with lights at the end.

It was a big day of walking - our pedometer said we'd walked about 25kms that day, but it was fantastic, and definitely the best way to spend our first day in Paris!

Old 01-23-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a great first day! Nothing like walking around a city to get a feel for it
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #14
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

What a fantastic way to end the day......nice cruise down the Seine coinciding with sunset. Lovely pictures.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #15
Isila
There is a big beautiful tomorrow

oh wow, this is the way to travel. Fantastic upgrade
Isila is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: