Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post

I guess if you can't do the time, don't do the crime! Thanks for sharing this story, it made my day!!!

PS, I love your "only in FloriDUH" line, I've never seen that before.

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 PM   #17
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MND View Post

I guess if you can't do the time, don't do the crime! Thanks for sharing this story, it made my day!!!

PS, I love your "only in FloriDUH" line, I've never seen that before.

Mike
Seriously? This made your day? Besides the fact that this is a total waste of resources, what part of a mother of 2 being locked up in county jail is amusing to you -- over $85 and some stupid jurisdictional issue of her not being ALLOWED to post bail?

What is wrong with people sheesh. How terribly unkind of you
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
OrcaPotter
Lucky to be local to the Mouse

We keep cutting the education budget so that we can pay for incarcerating people over $85 fines.

That is so crazy, though. As for police checking after the cruise, I would believe that the actual cross-checking of Passport information doesn't happen until disembarkation anyway--when you're going through customs. You don't go through customs to board the ship. But on the other hand, doesn't the cruise line have to present the passenger roster at some point in advance? Confused on the timeline here.
OrcaPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
setablaze
Earning My Ears

WOW!!!! To many bleeding hearts. Some comments to the point but none direct on the point. She admitted stealing, no matter how long ago, then has made good since without setteling her debt. So sadly as most posts demonstrate using their logic.......I make a charge on board with KTTW I shouldnt be held responsible and if I am and come back 22 years later Disney should not try to collect.

The sad part is that no one recognise the fact that she set the ball in motion by commiting the crime in the 1st place.

Personally I have made bad choices in the past, BUT was required to make good for or how what ever reason to settle them.....not ignore them and hope they go away. She knew what was happening. So many ppl lie to make the situation suit there needs.

If she does not deny the crime then the consequences are of her own accord. There are set procedures in place for this. She is just upset that the "system" caught up to her.

I am personally glad that @ no matter what point someone in the US is doing their job!!!
setablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 PM   #20
sdflipside
Earning My Ears

Sure, she should have a consequence for stealing, but this is extreme. As someone else mentioned, they could have informed her and allowed her to pay a fine. 22 years later and to be in jail for a few days does not seem to fit this crime.
sdflipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #21
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Another reason not to smoke.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 PM   #22
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73
another reason not to smoke.

Woody
lmao
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
kaseyC

Mother of Three Lovely Princesses
DVC Owner - BWV

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Another reason not to smoke.

Woody
BC/ Disney Wonder 2000 ~ Poly Concierge 2002 ~ BC Concierge 2003 ~ SSR 2004 ~ BWV 2005 ~ WL Concierge 2006 ~ Disney Wonder/BWV 2006 ~ BWV 2007 ~ Disney Magic Trans-Atlantic Repo 2007 ~ Disney Magic W. Caribbean 2007 ~ AKV 2008 ~ BWV F&WF 2008 ~ Poly CL 2008/2009 ~ BCV/ Disney Magic E. Caribbean 2009 ~ BWV 2010 ~ AKV/ Disney Dream B2B 2011~ BW Flower & Garden Weekend 2011 ~ BLT 2012 ~ Disney Fantasy E. Caribbean 2012 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2013 ~ Disneyland Paris 2013 ~ Disney Magic EBTA 2014 ~ Grand Californian CL 2014
kaseyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:31 AM   #24
jbugeye22
Earning My Ears

Ouch! I just saw this in the News....Its unfortunate that she got picked up and had to spend a few days in jail over a 22 year old pack of cigarettes. However, the law is the law. I feel bad for her.
jbugeye22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
PinkLemonade7503
Mouseketeer

I don't think anyone has a problem with the fine- it's tht she was detained for several days, instead of being allowed to pay it. If they can arrest her in the "wrong" county, and payment is the only thing they need, they really should be able to receive it and let her go.

By the time they drive her to jail, and pay for her to be in jail for several days, it has made a huge tax bill, that $85 won't cover. I don't know how it works there, like whether they charge her for the jail time in any way, but most places don't.

Plus, I think we can call agree she is not a hardened criminal. I assume something like this not only ruins a vacation, but would be pretty hard on her children, too.

me: dh: dd:
PinkLemonade7503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM   #26
MagicMe
DIS Veteran

I am in agreement that this is a total waste of resources. The $ involved in resolving this $85 fine is ridiculous. The IRS can simply attach wages, the court should just simply notify the person and attach the wages. This woman waits days over bureaucratic nonense and someone like Lindsay Lohan can spend 45 minutes serving her sentence for punching someone out. Gotta love our justice system!

Yes she did the crime and admits it. She was 18. Chances are she doesn't even remember the fine. I'm sure if she remembered or was contacted, she would have paid this $85 rather than ruin the reputation she has worked so hard to build.

I think our law enforcement has more important things to worry about.
Disney Dream/AKL - JUL14; Disney Fantasy - SEP12; Disney Dream/OKW - OCT11; Disney Wonder - Alaska AUG11; Disney Magic WBTA - Sep10; Disney Magic - Sep08; WL - Dec07-MVMCP; OKW - Oct/Nov06-MNSSHP; Disney Wonder - Aug06; OKW - Sept05; Disneyland - Jun04; Offsite - Dec03-MVMCP; Poly - Aug02; POR/Wonder - Aug00; POR - Jul99; And many more...

MagicMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #27
GoofyTwinDad
Mouseketeer

This clearly shows what shape our economy really is in. The $85 in question could very well get our country out of the recession we are mired in. Jeesh, I forgot that FL probably spent thousands of dollars
to detain and transport this person to the right jurisdiction. Another waste of our hardearned money wasted by our government.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #28
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLemonade7503 View Post
I don't think anyone has a problem with the fine- it's tht she was detained for several days, instead of being allowed to pay it. If they can arrest her in the "wrong" county, and payment is the only thing they need, they really should be able to receive it and let her go.

By the time they drive her to jail, and pay for her to be in jail for several days, it has made a huge tax bill, that $85 won't cover. I don't know how it works there, like whether they charge her for the jail time in any way, but most places don't.

Plus, I think we can call agree she is not a hardened criminal. I assume something like this not only ruins a vacation, but would be pretty hard on her children, too.
She isn't being held on the fine, she is being held on the bench warrant. The bench warrant bail can only be set by the county who issued it, and in this case it happens to be another Florida county but it could have been a county in Arkansas or California. Doesn't matter the amount, or that it was 22 years ago, just that this person didn't do something that the court ordered (in this case pay $85).

A county can't just attach wages like the IRS can. The IRS has a statute that allows them to do that. A county would have to have to start a civil suit, get a judgment for the fine, and then collect on the civil suit. With a warrant, it can just be issued and boy, this sure got this woman's attention.

Nancy
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #29
JnDRader
Mouseketeer

Sorry. I don't feel bad for her. She stole something 22 years ago, got caught 22 years ago, and then tried to ignore her responsibility to pay up 22 years ago. I have no sympathy for people like her who conveniently "forget" their prior actions. There's a lesson to be learned here!

Actions have consequences.

As for the "$85 doesn't cover the cost of arresting her etc..." I say so what? In many places the time it takes a cop to write a traffic ticket doesn't cover the fine for the ticket. Should they stop enforcing the law? Should they not arrest someone for shoplifting if the value of the merchandise is less than a certain amount?

Seriously?

JnDRader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #30
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat

Don't go on a cruise if you have a warrant; woman arrested off the Dream

She shoplifted some cigarettes 22 years ago, and has an outstanding warrant for $85.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...d-warrant?lite

Quote:
Cigarette shoplifter jailed over 22-year-old warrant

By Josh Chapin, NBCConnecticut.com
For one Connecticut woman in Florida, the saying "better late than never" doesn't apply.

Robin Hall was arrested because of a bill she didn't pay 22 years ago and to make matters worse, she's also been stuck in jail for the last four days.

"I just want it to be all over so I can go home," Hall said from her Brevard County Jail, Florida. She shoplifted cigarettes from a Wal-Mart back in 1991.

For that Hall owes the state $85.

The 22-year-old crime followed the Connecticut native to Port Canaveral, Florida Thursday where she, her husband and two kids were wrapping up a vacation.

The family had been aboard the Disney Dream cruise ship and Brevard County police officers were waiting for her as she left the boat.

"I was pulled to the side and told that I had a warrant," Hall added.

Police said Hall failed to pay the $85 in court costs when she was 18 and when they checked the ship's passenger list for terrorists, they found a warrant for Hall.

Since the incident she has put herself through college and now helps design jet engines for Pratt & Whitney.

Read more news on NBCConnecticut.com

"I take full responsibility for what I did but I do not believe I deserve this," Hall said.

The Brevard County Jail won't let her post bail because it's a charge from a different county and she has to be transferred there. Yet with the long holiday weekend that might not be until Thursday.

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa

Last edited by Deb in IA; 01-22-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: To satisfy the easily offended
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: