Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

50's Prime Time Question

We looked at dining here at Xmas and I didn't want to because I didn't see anything appealing to me on the menu. What would you recommend for a picky eater like me? I know I will eat the chicken but can you request a different vegetable than what's offered? Also no gravy on the potatoes? I made reservations for April, just trying to be a team player to make everyone else happy. I see things on the kids menu I will eat too, but don't want to go down that path if possible.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

I am very pickey. I don' t get the veggies at all so I don't know if you can sub. But I would think you can! I love the fried chicken and the pot roast. Not a fan of the meatloaf. Too sweet! While I do like my gravy. I have never had a problem at 50's with subbing! I wish the potatoes were not garlic mash. I would like that better. But I usually ask for fries. JSYK we don't eat in the restsurant. Don't like the antics. We always eat in the lounge. We can get great food w/o all the 'fun' stuff!
Oh ya. Once my son26 got the pork dish that is not on the menu anymore. ( for a reason). Lol..it was raw and fatty and they offered him chicken fingers! I don't think they are even on the kids menu. But they were trying very hard to make him happy. It was too late! But they tried! That was the one time in about 15 or more years we were not happy with 50's. And that was because he was being stubborn!

Last edited by Ro Z; 01-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
cymbaldiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCortWort
We looked at dining here at Xmas and I didn't want to because I didn't see anything appealing to me on the menu. What would you recommend for a picky eater like me? I know I will eat the chicken but can you request a different vegetable than what's offered? Also no gravy on the potatoes? I made reservations for April, just trying to be a team player to make everyone else happy. I see things on the kids menu I will eat too, but don't want to go down that path if possible.
Can you define your level of picky? The menu at Prime Time is pretty basic...
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cymbaldiva View Post
Can you define your level of picky? The menu at Prime Time is pretty basic...
She doesn't like veggies or gravy! If you are a truly picky eater you can relate!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #5
Disneymadhouse
DIS Veteran

I had the fried chicken in December and subbed the green beans for corn with no problems The chicken was delicious!
I did ask our server if I would be in trouble for asking but he just said no its fine! All through the meal I tried my best to be naughty but I think our server was shy!

Claire

Disneymadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
maccalovah
Mouseketeer

I think as a general rule, Disney tries to be as accomodating as possible- I'm fairly certain they encounter more than their fair share of picky eaters
may 2006 POFQ
mar 1997 PORS
nov 1995 WL
aug 1990 Offsite
maccalovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #7
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro Z View Post
She doesn't like veggies or gravy! If you are a truly picky eater you can relate!
Not to veer off topic, but since the original question has been answered, (yes, you can sub, and yes, you can ask that gravy be left off the spuds),....but those of us who are not "picky" eaters have a hard time with the term, as the term has no specific meaning. Someone who only eats sweetbreads and foie gras is a "picky eater" just the same as someone who only eats a burger with nothing else on it. Folks on this board use the term as if it has well-known parameters when indeed it does not. For example, I would wager that most people who identify themselves as picky eaters would have far more difficulty with the garlic in the potatoes than the gravy on them. As noted above, the menu at 50's PT is pretty basic and most people with strong food preferences (or needs, or phobias) will find something there to enjoy. But simply saying: "I'm a picky eater. Can I dine at X Restaurant" really says nothing at all to those of us who don't know what the "picky" issue is. Best to help identify the issue specifically (as the OP did here) than to rest on the term "picky" and expect everyone else to "relate" to it.
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #8
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyV View Post
Not to veer off topic, but since the original question has been answered, (yes, you can sub, and yes, you can ask that gravy be left off the spuds),....but those of us who are not "picky" eaters have a hard time with the term, as the term has no specific meaning. Someone who only eats sweetbreads and foie gras is a "picky eater" just the same as someone who only eats a burger with nothing else on it. Folks on this board use the term as if it has well-known parameters when indeed it does not. For example, I would wager that most people who identify themselves as picky eaters would have far more difficulty with the garlic in the potatoes than the gravy on them. As noted above, the menu at 50's PT is pretty basic and most people with strong food preferences (or needs, or phobias) will find something there to enjoy. But simply saying: "I'm a picky eater. Can I dine at X Restaurant" really says nothing at all to those of us who don't know what the "picky" issue is. Best to help identify the issue specifically (as the OP did here) than to rest on the term "picky" and expect everyone else to "relate" to it.
OP, if you dont like gravy then simply ask them to leave it off. Its quite simple. Treat disney restaurants the same as any other. Ask for sauces on the side, hold the veggies, etc. They wont force you to eat it if you dont like it.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW

Last edited by goofyintoronto; 01-22-2013 at 08:35 AM.
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
maccalovah
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think taking issue with this terminology is being a bit "picky", don't you think?

Haha, sorry, had to.
may 2006 POFQ
mar 1997 PORS
nov 1995 WL
aug 1990 Offsite
maccalovah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccalovah View Post
I think taking issue with this terminology is being a bit "picky", don't you think?

Haha, sorry, had to.
Ha ha! I prefer the term "selective"!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #11
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCortWort View Post
Oh, they will help you out immensely. My husband is a selective eater and what I tell him to do at any restaurant is to look at the ENTIRE menu. If it's on there, you should be able to get it.

For example, you said you could eat the chicken (which is excellent, BTW) but don't want the southern greens (don't blame you for that). Do you like sweet peas? That's on the menu so ask to substitute. Don't want the mashed potatoes and would prefer the rice? You can do that. Don't even want the rice? There are fries available on the kids menu, they can do that for you as well.

We once went to the 50's with a vegetarian friends. She asked for the turkey sandwich (when they had it at lunch) without the turkey. She was then offered three different vegetarian meals that were not on the menu.

Yes, they will help you out - no worries.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #12
Disneykidsdad
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Boy...you're being PICKY!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #13
JimmyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneykidsdad View Post
Boy...you're being PICKY!
I don't know what you mean by that!
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
davedmaine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCortWort View Post
If you don't see anything you like on the menu, don't go. Seems like an easy decision.
davedmaine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
If you don't see anything you like on the menu, don't go. Seems like an easy decision.
She's trying to be a team player and not deprive her friends and family of the experience of eating there and I think that's great! Sometimes you have to take one for the team!

You'll be fine, just be specific with your server and they'll make it work for you!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: