Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
sarabeth10772
Earning My Ears

Castaway Cay Family Cabanas

Has anybody gotten a Family Cabana on Castaway Cay due to a Cancellation? Our family is going over Easter and we are Gold Level club members so we got to start booking a little earlier, however they were all taken by platinum members and concierge rooms.

I keep watching to see if there are any Cancellations...but so far no luck. I am just wondering if there EVER are any Cancellations and when is the best time to get one(online or on the ship).

Thanks!
sarabeth10772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth10772 View Post
Has anybody gotten a Family Cabana on Castaway Cay due to a Cancellation? Our family is going over Easter and we are Gold Level club members so we got to start booking a little earlier, however they were all taken by platinum members and concierge rooms.

I keep watching to see if there are any Cancellations...but so far no luck. I am just wondering if there EVER are any Cancellations and when is the best time to get one(online or on the ship).

Thanks!
Yes, there are cancellations. But, since there are really only a few cabanas, and a lot of people on the ship (especially the Dream & Fantasy), getting a cabana is difficult.

Just keep checking online up until the day you depart, and go to the excursions desk once onboard to ask/be put on wait list.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
quickcat
Mouseketeer

Yes- we got one last Jan because of a cancelation. I was always checking online and one did become available.
We are going again this Saturday and booked a VGT rate so I assumed we would be out of luck for being able to get one but one did become available. I did look many times a day and its really just luck, logging on at the right time when someone cancels.
You could post at the meet thread that you are interested in a cabana and if someone there has one and wants to cancel they could let you know so you'd have a better shot at getting it. Before we switched to our VGT rate we were scheduled to go on the Magic and had a cabana reserved. Someone had posted they wanted one for that day so when I went to cancel, I let them know and they got it.
Good luck!
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
bjcaed
Earning My Ears

We also tried to book a cabana for our March trip and they were booked. I posted on my trip thread that I was looking for one. A DIS member who was canceling let me know exactly when she was canceling so that we could snap it up!! It is worth a try!!! Good luck!!!
bjcaed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
strega7
Mouseketeer

we were on a double dip over spring break last year. We are silver, so everything was booked at our date. I kept checking everytime I sat down at the computer, and sure enough, one showed up for both days! Keep trying all day long, something might open. We were about a month before our cruise when it became available. Good luck!
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #6
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

We were able to grab one on our first cruise due to a cancellation. If that doesn't work, try as soon as you get on board to see if anyone has changed their mind. The cabana next to us were able to grab it when the person decided they didn't want it, but didn't want to pay the fee to cancel. Good Luck!

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
gszenacm
Earning My Ears

Please tell me more about these cabanas. Rates and perks included?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabeth10772 View Post

Thanks!
I checked regularly and never saw anything until the very last day that excursions could be booked. I happened to wake up about 4 AM and couldn't go back to sleep so got online and was surfing around. I found one someone had cancelled at the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gszenacm
Please tell me more about these cabanas. Rates and perks included?
Cabanas are $499 for 6 people on the family beach and $50 for each additional person (up to 10 total). They include snorkeling gear, bike rentals for an hour, sun care products, towels, snacks and drinks and access to a secluded area of beach with sand toys, floats, chairs and umbrellas. The cabanas themselves are very nice and have and indoor and outdoor area with a hammock. A concierge host is on-call and will come at the press of a button. You can make arrangements to split them with multiple families/cabins if you find families on the boards to share them with or if you are traveling together.

There's also an adults only area that has cabanas with similar amenities and a little cheaper ($399?).
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfandj View Post
I checked regularly and never saw anything until the very last day that excursions could be booked. I happened to wake up about 4 AM and couldn't go back to sleep so got online and was surfing around. I found one someone had cancelled at the last minute.

Cabanas are $499 for 6 people on the family beach and $50 for each additional person (up to 10 total). They include snorkeling gear, bike rentals for an hour, sun care products, towels, snacks and drinks and access to a secluded area of beach with sand toys, floats, chairs and umbrellas. The cabanas themselves are very nice and have and indoor and outdoor area with a hammock. A concierge host is on-call and will come at the press of a button. You can make arrangements to split them with multiple families/cabins if you find families on the boards to share them with or if you are traveling together.

There's also an adults only area that has cabanas with similar amenities and a little cheaper ($399?).
Yes, $399, that's good for 4 adults, you can add up to 2 more for $50 each.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Just in case you don't find a cancellation....the cabanas are nice. The cabanas are costly. I went to Castaway Cay well into the double digit numbers of times before the cabanas were built. You can have an excellent day without one. I'm not saying to not get one if you want it...but if it doesn't happen, don't let that spoil your day.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

Can someone point me to how to reserve these cabanas on the DCL website? Truly I just spent the last 40 minutes reviewing the listed castaway cay port adventures and such at DCL's site, and I hate to admit all that I found was a paragraph referencing these cabanas. Thanks for any assistance.
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBill View Post
Can someone point me to how to reserve these cabanas on the DCL website? Truly I just spent the last 40 minutes reviewing the listed castaway cay port adventures and such at DCL's site, and I hate to admit all that I found was a paragraph referencing these cabanas. Thanks for any assistance.
AFAIK, it should be in the excursions for Castaway Cay, if there are any available. Could be they are all gone. There's really not very many of them.

They pretty much get snatched up at the 120 day mark (at midnight) by the Concierge/Platinum CC members.

Last edited by PrincessShmoo; 01-24-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #13
DisneyBill

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, it should be in the excursions for Castaway Cay, if there are any available. Could be they are all gone. There's really not very many of them.

They pretty much get snatched up at the 120 day mark (at midnight) by the Concierge/Platinum CC members.
Thanks. I wasn't signed in or anything to actually book excursions, perhaps when I am able to do reservations, I'll be able to see them.
DisneyBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #14
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Yesterday I booked a VGT for a Feb cruise on the Dream and last night went in to do my online check in and went to excursions for CC and there was a Family Cabana available. So it does happen they become available.

Edited to add that I just checked now and it was still available so I booked it!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!

Last edited by mmouse37; 01-24-2013 at 01:40 PM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #15
Tass
Mouseketeer

I was also able to book a family cabana on our May 2011 Dream cruise and it was our first cruise ever. I just checked randomly in the months leading up to the cruise and one day found one available and booked it. Keep trying
Tass is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: