Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
owensamo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatway View Post
Would someone please clarify for me if formal and semi-formal attire is required/recommended on those nights after dinner when out at the shows or lounges, walking about the ship, etc.? I presume the dress code applies to the entire evening.
As far as I know, the dress code only applies to dinner. However, you will see people who wear their formal/semiformal wear all evening.

Our family usually does - this is so we can get tons of photos taken by the photographers (with every imaginable backdrop and character), but also so we can enjoy all of the activities without worrying about having to run back to the other end of the ship, change, and hurry back for a show!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:54 PM   #17
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatway View Post
I agree as well. Not so much for me (I'd go white tie every night if I could), but for my parents. They almost declined to join us on our upcoming cruise because my dad is not comfortable dressing up. I only remember ever seeing him in a suit at my wedding, and my brother's. He will be fine for the cruise casual nights, but on formal night and semi-formal night they will likely dine in my suite. This is the only way they would agree to come.

Would someone please clarify for me if formal and semi-formal attire is required/recommended on those nights after dinner when out at the shows or lounges, walking about the ship, etc.? I presume the dress code applies to the entire evening.
I've been on cruise lines where they "request" that everyone stay dressed up for the entire evening. DCL does not do that. I like to slip into something more comfortable to enjoy the show after dinner.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #18
moore523
Mouseketeer

So glad you asked this! I was just talking to my sister about this very topic tonight! My little guy, age 2, has so many cute "dressier" shorts and I feel as though it is completely appropriate for the cruise. As you stated, he'll be wearing cute little button down shirts, etc.

Thanks again!

Walt Disney World "Family of 4" Vacations
August 2010
September 2011
March 2012
August 2013
April 2014

Disney's Vero Beach Resort
October 2012

Disney Cruise Line
April 2013
September 2014
moore523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:12 PM   #19
sdflipside
Earning My Ears

Thanks for asking this! I was also wondering the same and also what is the temp on board. Should I be packing a light sweater for the kids? I am doing first cruise next month on the Dream.
sdflipside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #20
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Sometimes we go to the show totally casual and then dress for dinner in the break after the show. No, you are not expected to remain dressed up all night.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #21
BrennaM
Mouseketeer

My hubby is one of those that hates getting dressed up in a tux or suit. His version of formal is a nice pair of Khakis and a nice golf shirt. (which is what he will wear to formal night) My girls and I will break out the fancy dresses and heels. We have never felt out of place or snubbed on a Disney cruise in the dining rooms. This is one of the main reasons we will not cruise elsewhere!

It is our vacation and the last thing we want is to feel uncomfortable for half our trip. I find the Dining room to be one of the best experiences on a cruise and would hate to miss out on it because I wouldn't force my hubby to wear a suit. Not to mention that suit would take luggage space away from my two teenage girls and I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdflipside View Post
Thanks for asking this! I was also wondering the same and also what is the temp on board. Should I be packing a light sweater for the kids? I am doing first cruise next month on the Dream.
Most definitely pack a light sweater. Sometimes the dining rooms can get a little chilly I find.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
~Walt Disney

2004 - Port Orleans - French Quarter | 2005 - Beach Club Resort | 2008 - Grand Gathering @ Animal Kingdom Villas | 2010 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Western Caribbean Cruise | 2012 - Disney Land & Sea - Animal Kingdom Villas & 5 day Bahama Cruise | 2012 - Disney Cruise - 7 Night Alaskan Cruise | 2013 - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise | Summer 2014 - Adventures By Disney - Ireland | Winter 2014 - Family New Years @ Animal Kingdom Villas | Summer 2015 - Disney Cruise - 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise
BrennaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Wasn't there a time when formal, or actually anytime, for little boys was shorts?

IMO little boys in cute little shorts outfits can totally work in formal.

Its when they get older it becomes harder. I have older boys who live in sneakers, t-shirts and sweatpants. I am going to have to invest in some dress pants, dress shirts and ties. All to be used just for the cruise. Already scouring goodwill and sales, though I have to be careful as both are going through growth spurts like mad. And I am going to have to have them wear sneakers with their dress clothes unless I dig up something cheap at goodwill. Dress shoes do not come cheap.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #23
tajz90
Mama D

We saw a little boy dressed in a prince costume for dressy night. Very cute. We couldn't keep our eyes off of him. He was having a grand time!

Dressing appropriately for dinner is subjective. On the same cruise, we saw plenty of ladies "dressed" up in far more inappropriate attire than shorts.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: