Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #1
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

Question for last minute cruising

Hello all,

Amy and I leave for Orlando for a couple days in WDW, a day at Sea World and than a 3 day cruise. We are meeting her parents that are renting a flat for the month of Feb in Daytona. We had asked if they wanted to do Disney and they are on board with that. Probably Epcot for shopping and Magic Kingdom for parades and fireworks. Maybe able to squeeze in Fantasmic (best show) and Animal Kingdom (never been) if things go well.

Also asked if they wanted to go on the cruise as we could change our veranda cabin to one that slept 5 for $800 when adding them. Dad is ex Navy (like me) but had a very bad time on the ship (unlike me) and really hasn't been interested in a cruise despite Mom wanting it. He also was worried about tons of loud noisy kids thinking it would be like the parks.

Well, he found out out about the adult only areas on the ship and CC. He is all for it now. Of course now the cabins aren't available.

I am keeping an eye as it is constantly changing but what are the chances of them, when they drop us off at the terminal, of there being cabins available?

Jim
Kilted Candyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
hpsalb
Mouseketeer

I don't know the exact time frame, but they must have a completed list of passengers prior to cruise day. So it would not be possible to add them to your cruise at the terminal. Since you are only a few days out now, it may already be too late.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Look and see if there is a cabin for 2 available, it may not cost much more than adding them to you cabin.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #4
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

I checked and the whole thing is full not just the changing from a cabin of two to a cabin of four. Called the # and will just have to keep checking constantly to see if something comes open. The line can make it up to two days before without ship permission. After that their manager needs to call the ship.

Might be able to get it at the terminal if there is anything available but a bit of a bummer that the in-laws waited this long. Now it looks bad because we can't deliver.

Jim
Old 01-21-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

You won't be able to add them at the terminal, but you can call the 800# and add them up to the morning of the cruise. This has been confirmed by a couple who have done this on the board. We have known one person on a previous cruise with us to book the cruise the night before also by calling the number. You won't be able to book them online.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

lbgraves is correct (as usual)

The cruise will be removed from on line booking 3 days before embarkation. After that, you must call the 800 number or go thru your travel agent, but you can book if space is available. We have done it at 2 days, and I've met and personally spoken with a Dis-er who claims to have done it the evening before departure. I have no reason to doubt her word. I have read of people doing it on the morning of the cruise.

What you cannot do is to show up at the terminal without a reservation and just book it. You might be able to get it if you call on a cell phone. They don't check your ID against the mainfest before allowing you into the port area (as they used to!), but you still can't just walk in and book.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
They don't check your ID against the mainfest before allowing you into the port area (as they used to!), but you still can't just walk in and book.
Seriously??? When did this change?

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
Seriously??? When did this change?
They check before allowing you into the TERMINAL, but not before allowing you into the Port Authority area...unless my memory has completely failed. I don't remember 2 security checks the last time we drove in....just the one before entering the building. I guess it is possible that I'm having old age forgetfulness issues.......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
They check before allowing you into the TERMINAL, but not before allowing you into the Port Authority area...unless my memory has completely failed. I don't remember 2 security checks the last time we drove in....just the one before entering the building. I guess it is possible that I'm having old age forgetfulness issues.......
That's how it is at San Pedro. Anyone can come in and park at the port. But they check your ID when entering the terminal.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Candyman View Post

. . . Might be able to get it at the terminal if there is anything available but a bit of a bummer that the in-laws waited this long.
Whatever you decide to do, make sure they have valid passports or birth certificates.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilted Candyman
Now it looks bad because we can't deliver.

Jim
How does "the ship is full because they delayed committing" get turned into "it looks bad because we can't deliver"?
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #12
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
How does "the ship is full because they delayed committing" get turned into "it looks bad because we can't deliver"?
In-law magic, I suspect!
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
Kilted Candyman
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghatron View Post
Ok, not exactly our fault but we feel bad as we kept talking it up and now they can't go with us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Whatever you decide to do, make sure they have valid passports or birth certificates.

Woody
Not a problem. They always travel with them. Being from the Canadian border it is standard practice for them.

I will keep checking the site and as we get closer call in.

Jim

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: