Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2013, 03:31 PM   #16
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Having heard Karl Holtz say there is no new build in the plans, I think you will be waiting a long time before you see another new DCL sip or ships. DCL is very conservative when ot comes to new builds.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
Having heard Karl Holtz say there is no new build in the plans, I think you will be waiting a long time before you see another new DCL sip or ships. DCL is very conservative when ot comes to new builds.

Disney also has the "paint Main Street every day" philosophy of keeping things new. The Magic and Wonder aren't getting any younger. :-) I can actually see DCL replacing older ships before expanding the fleet. But again, what any corporation is planning is a propietary secret and will not be known to the general public until Disney wants the public to know.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 9-day DCL Venice/Greece 6/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #18
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I love the size of the Magic....but I really cannot tell a difference with the Dream.

I would think the overhead costs of fuel and basic ship operation for 4k guest is about the same as it is for 2k guests. The hotel staff is obviously bigger but I doubt it would be 2x the staff needed for 2x the people.

Point being, looking at the ships that have come out in recent years, it would seem that the bigger the ship, the more profitable. So in order to stay competitive, I don't think any new ships will be smaller. But that's just my opinion and I have no special insight into cruise line marketing.

I do agree the bigger the ship the less operating cost per passinger. However due to their size they can cost more to maintain..(talking Oasis size here) IE.........their are a very limited number of yards available for dry docking....they can charge what they want and limited ports to visit

What I have read and seen the larger ship seems indeed to have a following, but are also about 300 mil more to biuld. The that following seems to have reached it limit as I here more and more people talking about they are just TO BIG.

Just MHO, but I think the Oasis sized vessel have reached the limit in size and except for the (3??) new ones on order or about to be, will be the end of the mega ships for awhile

The smaller verssel. IE classic are as you pointed out more to operate, per passigner, but they also seem to have a very loyal following.

To each their own!

I dont think DCL is having great problem with filling the ship now anymore then any other line. Look at Carnival,they are almost giving away cruises on many if not all thier routes and vessels.

What hurt DCL recently the most was the Mexican Rivera terrorism problem, resulting in 4 vessels on the the east and gulf coasts, that is creating the overcapcity problem

IMHO...I think you will see the next DCL class, +\- 100,000 tons range and still in the theming of the grat liners, to have the best of both the Dream and magic classes. Guessing here but I would expect to see rumors and rumblings in 2 to 3 years, a contract siginng in 4 to 5 and the first ship in 6 to 7 years.

With all repect to the pp and the comment made by Holz...............I never beleive to much from the Disney excutives....they are going to tell you what they what you to hear and in terms of *no new biuld planned.......is that..........next year?......3 years..or longer??. They have contract option for 2 new Dreams (easily and qiuckly these plans could be upgraded) and who knows if a qiuet super secret DCL team is putting together other plans.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 01-21-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:48 PM   #19
horizons1983
Horizons 1 is now departing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
I'm not sure a 'full ship' is the best metric to judge profitability. Based on the prices, the ships are full during peak sailings and holidays and even spring break. If you can command premium prices during the peak sailing months, I'm not sure you have to sail full the rest of the year.

Disney, like most corporations, is not likely to allow proprietary data about cruise line profits be available to the public. So any speculation about future growth or lack thereof is pure speculation.

As far as preference of ship, I too agree that smaller is the way to go....but that seems not to be the trend in the cruise industry. Evidently bigger is better and more profitable.
I agree with you...profitability notwithstanding I think it's more about where they want ships sailing from? The potential of sailings from China & Japan have got to be tempting them to build more ships.
Disney Magic 2003 -- Disney Wonder 2010 -- Disney Dream 2011 -- Disney Fantasy 2012 -- Carnival Ecstasy 2012 -- Jewel of the Seas 2013 -- Disney Dream 2013 -- Norwegian Dawn 2013 -- Royal Princess 2014 -- Disney Magic 2014 -- Disney Dream 2014 -- Regal Princess 2015 -- Disney Wonder to Hawaii 2015

horizons1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #20
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horizons1983 View Post
I agree with you...profitability notwithstanding I think it's more about where they want ships sailing from? The potential of sailings from China & Japan have got to be tempting them to build more ships.
Agreeed, or they wait until the Magic and Wonder are a bit older, 2 replacement vessel are coming along and send the classics to the far east and Aussie lands!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #21
Cond1108
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper

Agreeed, or they wait until the Magic and Wonder are a bit older, 2 replacement vessel are coming along and send the classics to the far east and Aussie lands!

AKK
Maybe even brazil!
Cond1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Couple of things Id do, is to tweak the design of the Dream class with some of the beter Magic class designs.

1. either make the pool bigger or add another pool depending on stability.
2. Id rearrange the elevators to where the aft elevator doesnt open into Cabanas, but infront of it like on the Magic class.
3, Id go back to the lines of the Magic to where the new ships dont look like floating ibeams.
4. Keeping up with elevators have the foward elevator open out of the adult area, and rearrange the adult area to where everyone can get a panaramic view. Maybe do something like Carnival where theres an island around a funnel where concierge or adults can go and still get a view of the ocean with the breeze.

As for size, I might go bigger then the Dream class, but smaller then the Allure/Oasis since historically, the Port Canaveral ship fill long before the other ports ships. This would free the Dream and Fantasy, to help promote other ports.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
From Bob Igers mouth during the Fantasys inuag, there was no new builds or any other major cash expenditures for DCL or the parks in the near future.Other then what was already in the works as far as rehabs,park additions etc that had already been announced. It was also in the news that DIsney was being reigned in on spending by the major investors.
Out of the blue, Disney bought out Lucas Films. I think things change sooner then we think and new ships may not be that far off.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #24
boogabuzz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cond1108 View Post
Also on the Dream and Fantasy, the family deck area on deck 13 is kinda a waste of space! I was walking up there, and all there was were a few adults taking pics and laying out, they could maybe put a adult only area up there or another pool, or even a wave pool LOL. But the problem is that the concierge rooms and lounge and extra spa rooms are all underneath so it can't be an under deck pool.
That's true on Dream, but it was changed on Fantasy. Deck 13 is an adult only area with the satellite falls pool. It's just a waiting pool, but it was actually my favorite place to hang out. It was very peaceful up there.
boogabuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #25
Cond1108
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogabuzz

That's true on Dream, but it was changed on Fantasy. Deck 13 is an adult only area with the satellite falls pool. It's just a waiting pool, but it was actually my favorite place to hang out. It was very peaceful up there.
Also add more elevators mid, aft, and forward to help congestion. That was annoying
Old 01-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #26
ekatiel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanimal View Post
I'd like to see some smaller ships; more classic design, that could do more exotic itineraries and go into smaller ports. Most of the ships like that are more adult geared and not suited for families. The amenities would have to be scaled back a bit, but they could create a more boutique-but-still-family-friendly vibe. Maybe a ship like this could do Asia, Eastern med, Baltics, or even just the smaller, more out of the way Caribbean islands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH Family View Post
Like the Oasis or Allue...
These first two responses cracked me up b/c they couldn't have been more different ! I'd like to see Disney tackle something like the Oasis/Allure sisters. We sailed on Oasis in September, and it was truly amazing. I could only imagine how cool it could be if some imagineers got a hold of it ! I know it probably won't happen, but a girl can dream . --Katie
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #27
Cond1108
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekatiel

These first two responses cracked me up b/c they couldn't have been more different ! I'd like to see Disney tackle something like the Oasis/Allure sisters. We sailed on Oasis in September, and it was truly amazing. I could only imagine how cool it could be if some imagineers got a hold of it ! I know it probably won't happen, but a girl can dream . --Katie
Haha! Yea well anything is possible, but they will need to make either more ships, or bigger ships to supply more customers.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: